Refrigerator Pickles

nutmegananne

I just made a batch of these:

http://www.foodinjars.com/tag/refrigerator-pickles/

It was very simple. And since they keep in the fridge for a month, no worries about proper sealing, preserving, etc. (which I am totally ignorant about...something I mean to learn one of these days). They need to cure for at least a day, so I don't know how they taste yet...but I will update in a few days :)

It's hard to find a commercially done pickle that has something unwanted in the ingredients...but since you control your own here, you're good. I made mine with peeled garlic cloves, a few peppercorns, and some mustard seed in with the cukes (my husband is not a dill fan). Also, I had little mini cucumbers, so I sliced in coins rather than wedges. Should be great with a bunless burger, or maybe with some tuna, or on a salad...

Did you know if you buy a jar of Bubbies Pickles (or any other OP pickle) that once the pickles are gone, you can re-use the juice to refrigerate pickle other veggies? I saw it on Top Chef or one of such shows. I have no idea what the process is. I'm not that crazy about snacking in general or pickles to try it..although..when I want a Bubbies, it's what I have to have. :)

This link could not have come at a more perfect time! I want to make tartar sauce which calls for dill pickled but all the dill pickles in store were junk! So, here's my question, can you use any cucumber or does it need to be pickling kind? And what are the pickling kind? Is that the name of them? I have "regular" cucumbers and English in the fridge I think.

Archived