Let's get ready to Ruuuuuuuuuuumble! (A Log)

Janette

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooooo, so gonna make this BBQ pulled pork! It looks like a better BBQ sauce recipe, too. I'll just leave the sugar out.

I'm so going to make that next week. We just finished a pork shoulder that I cooked last Wednesday, so I'll hold off until next week. Thanks for sharing. I will leave the sugar out as well. Even though I'm post Whole30, I'm sticking to it. I just feel better eating on the Whole30 model!

Day 29: Sunshine on a Dreary Day

Another cold, gray morning and it seems to really be getting to people. All the kids were crying at preschool drop off and even my perennially happy baby was down. My kids just needed a lot more from me today (they didn't even want to play with their beloved babysitter) so I got nothing done on my list, but I did get a lot of cuddles. And here's the difference in how I'm feeling - it didn't take anything out of me to give them extra today. Normally, I'd feel spent by this time, but I feel just fine. I'm am so happy about this.

Today is exactly the kind of day I'd binge on chocolate. I thought about it, but I didn't lust after it. I think that's progress.

Finally made sweet potato fritters, which I've been craving since seeing them on Derval's log. YUM! I added nutmeg. Made enough for the next few days, though I wanted to eat them all this morning!

I think I'm going to only use eggs for glue.

I still haven't started the 3:30 mini meal. I just want coconut manna instead!

I also think I haven't been mindful enough of the progress I have made. It's kind of typical of me to only focus on the parts I'm still struggling with. So in the interest of keeping up my resilience and optimism about my journey, I'm adding a category called "Little Victories."

Food

Breakfast: Beef and apple hash, sweet potato fritters

Lunch: Smoked Salmon, Bacon, avocado, mixed greens, beets, tomatoes

Snack: Coconut manna

Dinner: Roast pork loin, roast apples, brussels sprouts

Dessert: Coconut manna, frozen berries

Activity

None

Sleep

9:30 - 6, 4 wake ups, nap 9 - 10

Mood

Pretty good

Little Victories

No nuts today.

My smallest belt is officially too big.

Didn't binge on chocolate.

Gratitude

My 4 year old said the sweetest thing at dinner: "Thank you for making us such amazing food!"

I'm grateful for my warm, beautiful coat.

I'm grateful for being part of a lovely circle of moms that pass around cold weather gear.

I'm grateful that hubby cleaned the kitchen this evening.

I'm grateful that after searching all over the internets for coconut aminos, I found them at my local pharmacy! I love my neighborhood. Have I mentioned that?

Day 30: I made it! So why do I feel so blue?

Another wakeful night and dreary morning. The girls downstairs turned the heat off so the house was cold, cold, cold. Then the workmen came and turned it all the way up, so we boiled. I just wanted to stomp my feet and yell, "I'm 38 years old! I want to control my own darn thermostat!!!"

Had a tummy ache all morning, so didn't eat much. By 4pm, I realized that my grumpy mood might possibly be related to not eating enough. Wasn't sure what to eat, so I just reprised breakfast and added the green smoothie that I usually make.

I was bummed that on my Day 30 I wasn't feeling AMAZING! LIBERATED! RADIANT! WELL-RESTED! It wasn't quite enough anymore that I wasn't feeling like I couldn't make it through the day without a nap, or the week without a breakdown. I lost the perspective that comes with being grateful to have been lucky enough to fall in love, make two healthy children, and get to be with them and watch them grow up. I knew in my head that this is just one year out of 80 or so, but this year was feeling very long.

I really wanted to go to hot yoga (first class since baby) but I didn't have the energy and my baby wanted to stay very, very close.

I wish I could say I found a way to pull myself out of my funk, but I didn't. I ate a big dinner and went to bed at 8:30, hoping for a better morning.

Food

Lunch: Sausage and sauerkraut, bacon, carrot and ginger soup

Snack: Beef and apple hash, sweet potato fritters, green smoothie, coconut manna with berries

Dinner: Teriyaki beef stir fry, kelp noodles

Acitivity

None

Sleep

10- 6, 5 wake ups

Mood

Down

Gratitude

I'm grateful that I can go to bed early.

I'm grateful to have a babysitter.

Little Victories

No Nuts!

Didn't feel an urge to snack.

Felt like a Paleo pro using my coconut aminos and arrowroot to make teriyaki sauce.

Day 31: Now this is more like it!

Went to bed an hour early and slept an hour late. What a difference extra sleep makes! I'm going to go to bed early tonight as well.

Got on the scale first thing in the morning and...I lost 8 lbs!!! Very exciting! Rather unexpected. Now my weight is near what it was before I had kids, though my body sure looks different! Made me realize just how much muscle I've lost. Looking forward to proper workouts in the future.

Had a fun morning observing in my kid's Montessori class. I love his school! They're so focused, but still bring so much personality to their tasks.

Super excited this evening because I decided to go to a gig tomorrow night - my brother in law is working the Snow Patrol/Noel Gallagher gig. I've invited my hilarious Irish friend who just moved here 2 days ago (I know her from London), so it should be especially fun, though we may both be struggling to stay awake around 11pm!

Food

Lunch: Sausage and sauerkraut with BBQ sauce, bacon, green smoothie, Coconut Manna and berries

Dinner: Pork loin and parsnips

Dessert: Coconut Manna and berries

Activity

Cleaned the house

10 push ups

Mood

Up - I feel like such a girl because I was so happy about the 8 lbs.

Gratitude

I'm grateful for my son's awesome school.

I'm grateful for my brother-in-law's cool job.

I'm grateful to have a new friend in town.

Little Victories

No nuts! Yep, still counts as a victory!

I made it one extra day. Yay me!

Cleaned the house and didn't get tired.

Something to Savor

My 4 year old playing a 'lullaby' to the baby on his ukelele.

Wow well done on the weightloss! Motherhood surely changes a body you are right, but you just go to embrace the new womanliness and work with it.

Enjoy your gig, they both played recently in an outdoor gig not too far from our house, we could hear Snow patrol perfectly :) , wind must have been going the wrong way for NG. I'm sure you'll have great craic with an Irish girl at your side :)

So what now? I hope you're going to keep logging in some way, I love reading your posts.

Thanks Derval! It was "ace" as she likes to say. So happy to have a bit of Irish back in my life!

Gin, so glad to see you're still on here. I think it's going to take me a while to make my way over to re-introduction - this feels like a matter of survival right now! Sounds dire, but I'm actually glad about it. I have a very compelling reason to stick with this way of eating until it becomes a very solid habit.

Day 32: So much excitement!

So many exciting things happened today. My brother in law showed up with the carnitas I asked him to buy at Trader Joe's when he was in Seattle. I should know better by now, but I didn't specify an amount. So he bought ALL of the TJ's carnitas in Seattle - SIXTEEN PACKAGES! That's 12 lbs of carnitas. I'm glad my kid likes it, because we're the only ones who will be eating it. (Though I've thought about handing some out to the neighbors on Halloween!)

He brought confit ducks legs and even more foie gras, too. And my favorite type of Rose from the area around Barcelona. But weirdly, that didn't tempt me. I'm assuming my palate has changed the way it did when I did the 'wellness challenge' and wine would just taste odd to me now.

I sold my maternity coat and went right out and spent the money on skinny jeans! That felt SO GOOD. And then I wore them to the gig and felt all giddy about it. The gig was fantastic - Snow Patrol put on such a good show and have such quality lyrics. And I got to relive my former London life a bit with a guest pass and awesome seats and free drinks. And it was so fun to catch up with my old friend. Such a brilliant evening!

I was surprised that I didn't miss alcohol in the least. Special bonus was that I still got to have that feeling of being on the verge of enlightenment that I get when I go to really good gigs. And I've decided to go to a singing workshop the next time one comes up. I really do love to sing. There's such freedom in it. Who cares what I sound like?!

Got home at 11:30, and found that the baby had been inconsolable for 2 hours. Poor baby, poor daddy. He was perfectly fine once I held him, so I think it was a separation anxiety thing. He's at the right age for it. I guess I'll wait a few weeks before going out so late again.

Don't really remember the food. (I'm writing this the day after.)

Day 33: Ugh, recovery!

Really unfortunate timing that the day after my big night out was poised to be a relentless one. The preschool was closed for parent conferences, and my friend called me the night before to see if I could watch her kid during her conference. So we had an early play date, and then we were supposed to drive a half hour to meet some school friends at a play gym. And then I was supposed to swing home and pick up hubby just in time to spend who knows how long at the Children's Hospital. That would all be hectic enough on a normal day!

Fortunately, the play date went well enough that I could sneak off and get dressed and cook my breakfast. Then my kid threw a crying fit because he really didn't want to go to the play gym, so we stayed home. (Was sorry to disappoint our play date, but was quite relieved!) The respirologist at the Hospital was pleased with my baby's lungs and declared him "normal" and told us we needn't ever come back unless we had concerns. Yay for normal!

We spent the rest of the afternoon executing my kid's bizarre vision for decorating the house for Halloween. And then I attempted Well Fed Mel's mayonnaise. Such a waste of olive oil. I'm giving up on her. Fortunately, my husband likes it, so he'll be eating the mayo. I think I'm just going to start Paleofying normal recipes. I'm feeling comfortable with the standard swaps.

Food

Breakfast: Carnitas, salsa, sweet potatoes

Lunch: Pork sausage, sauerkraut, kale

Snack: Pulled pork in BBQ sauce, cauliflower rice, berries in coconut manna

Dinner: Garlic chicken with mayo, spaghetti squash

Dessert: apple

Activity

None

Sleep

12 - 6, 1 wake up, 7:00 - 8:00 nap

Mood

Pretty good, considering.

Gratitude

I'm grateful for amazing music.

I'm grateful for old friends.

I'm grateful that my husband wants me to go out and have fun.

I'm grateful that my baby has been declared "normal" and never has to go on that awful xray machine again.

I'm grateful that my kid is finally old enough to not need much refereeing on a play date.

I love that my kid has strong artistic vision, even if i turns out oddly!

Little Victories

I just realized I didn't think about chocolate at all today!

Yay for normal, indeed!

BTW, I hear you when it comes to the mayo. I tried it with olive oil and when it didn't work I asked in her blog about trying with other oils and she said a avocado oil should work, but it didn't. I'll have to find another recipe for mayo :/

Day 34: Big Girl Underoos!

I got some boxes of pre-baby clothes down from the attic to see if they fit. (They did!) And as a bonus, I found my big girl underoos! Just in time for Halloween, though I don't know if I'd wear the bottoms in this weather. I bought underoos during a particularly dreary winter in London because I just find it hilarious that they make them in adult sizes. Every once in a while, I'd wear them under my clothes and randomly flash them at friends or coworkers. Just so they knew who they were dealing with!

8129764132_22c70fee79_m.jpg

These might come in handy this winter!

Felt awful this morning - pounding headache and queasiness. Went back to bed when the baby was ready to nap. Slept an hour and a half and woke up right as rain. Don't know what that was about. Might be related to me increasing my probiotics.

Fun afternoon "shopping" in the attic and then trick or treating down the high street.

My (supposedly vegetarian!) hubby requested the confit duck with pomme salardaise (potatoes crispy fried in duck fat) for dinner. Didn't think I'd be able to resist the potatoes, but was actually too full of sweet potato fritters to care!

No fruit today. That's unusual.

Food

Breakfast: Sweet potatoes, carnitas, salsa, avocado

Lunch: Tuna mayo, mixed greens, tomatoes, avocado

Snack: Coconut manna

Dinner: Sweet potato fritters, confit duck, spinach

Activity

3km walk

Mood

Pretty good

Sleep

GREAT! 9:30 - 4, 5-6, 9-10:30

Gratitude

I'm grateful that my kid is no longer so easily 'spooked' by people in costume, so we can actually enjoy Halloween now.

I'm grateful for the wonderful shopkeepers in our neighborhood.

I'm grateful that my kid is so sheltered that he doesn't mind having only one piece of candy a day. (This is probably the last year I'll get away with that!)

Little Victories

No fruit today. The sweet tooth is definitely receding.

No nuts.

Didn't even nibble the potato leftover bits.

Keep at it! I'm actually done with my re-introductions for now and looking forward to some good old clean Whole30-style eating again. I think it's great that you're going to keep going, and you'll just keep feeling better and better. I wish I could see the pic you posted, but I suspect my work computer is blocking it (pesky government computer systems :angry: )

Day 35: High Tea

My neighbors threw a "High Tea" themed birthday party for their 30 yr old daughter. What a beautiful spread! I tried to not look too closely at all the adorable tiny treats that I couldn't have. They also had lots of crudite and dips and pastrami. And WOW, did I go crazy for the pastrami! I tried to eat lots of veggies, but I have to confess I went back for the pastrami FIVE times. It was a little over the top. And yes, I regretted it the whole rest of the day. I couldn't face dinner and had peppermint tea instead. So YAY on resisting the treats (and not being haunted by macaroons) but BOO about binging on meat.

Today I noticed my normally strong, unbreakable nails are breaking off. It's too soon to have been from the Whole30, so I'm assuming it's because I stopped taking a multivitamin a couple of months ago. Anyone know a good Whole30-compliant vitamin? While I'm breastfeeding, I'm supplementing Calcium, Magnesium, D3, Fish Oil, and occasionally iron/folic acid. I see nails as a general indicator of health, so their new weakness worries me.

Day 36: Sleepless Marathon

The baby sure is suffering with the teething right now. All night long he groans and groans! So I'm getting even less sleep than usual. It's also been a 4 day weekend because preschool is having parent-teacher conferences. And the babysitter's sick. And hubby spent the weekend changing the queen bed arrangement into two twins (he was bedsharing with our kid). So I haven't actually gotten an hour to myself for, what, 80 hours?

I feel like it's a video game and I've leveled up.

My best friend, who I'm doing the Whole30 with, has been testing the waters of 'nutritional off-roading,' and it hasn't been pretty . It's been fun living vicariously through her, and it makes me all the more convinced that I'm not ready to start experimenting. I'm glad Christmas is a long way off!

I'm still put off by meat! Trying to eat more vegetables and remember the lesson. I'm also generally feeling "off." I'm not sure what needs tweaking, or if I just need time to recover from the meat binge. Or the teething. Or the 4 day weekend!

Food

Breakfast: carnitas, salsa, sweet potato fritters, green smoothie

Lunch: tuna mayo, carrots, sugar snap peas, coconut manna, berries

Snack: foie gras, tomatoes

Dinner: Asparagus dipped in mayo, salad greens

Dessert: berries

Activity

None

Sleep

9 - 6, 5 wake-ups

Mood

Pretty good considering. Happy about what my kid's teachers had to say. Sad for the East coast.

Gratitude

I'm so grateful for my son's awesome school and great teachers.

I'm grateful to live somewhere that doesn't have many natural disasters.

I'm grateful for my friend Hilary, who let us have our playdate at her house while we ran back and forth through the rain to our conferences.

Little Victories

Not even thinking about nuts anymore.

No longer missing stevia in my teas.

Day 37: Ipod Addiction?

I tried a little experiment today. Instead of browsing online while I lay in bed putting the baby to sleep for a nap, I put my Ipod Touch away and tried to just relax and meditate as deeply as possible. And guess what? I fell asleep! Twice! Two bonus naps. Wow, that was awesome. I've been noticing that every time I meditate I keep getting a strong urge to grab my ipod, and am sometimes browsing again before I even realize it. Maybe I'll pick one nap time a day and not even take my ipod in the room with me.

Babysitter's still sick. I thought it would be quite a full on afternoon, but when I awoke from my unexpected nap, my kid had just been reading books and playing his apps next to his dad. I am SO GLAD hubby works from home!

OMG found a 5lb pack of coconut manna on iherb today!

My son spotted the t-shirts I pulled out of my pre-baby stash, drying on the clothes rack today. He got all excited because he thought they were for him. This begs the question, do I have the same taste as a 4 year old, or does he have the same taste as a Londoner 5 years ago? Maybe cool t-shirts just have universal appeal.

Not feeling so "off" anymore, but am feeling like I'm fighting off a cold.

Food

Breakfast: Turkey Sausage, sweet potato fritters

Snack: Green smoothie, bacon

Lunch: Tuna mayo, big salad, berries, coconut manna

Snack: Foie gras, carrots

Dinner: Confit de canard, roast broccoli, beets, and sweet potatoes

Dessert: berries, coconut manna

Activity

Laundry day stairs

Sleep

10 - 6, 4 wake-ups, napped 11- 11:30, 3:15 - 4:30

Mood

Good

Gratitude

So grateful that hubby works from home.

Grateful for how strong and resilient my baby is.

Little victories

Feeling so over alcohol.

Archived