Let's get ready to Ruuuuuuuuuuumble! (A Log)

Janette

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 47: Border Run

Drove down to Washington today, to pick up some stuff. The baby has decided he hates riding in the car, so he screamed all the way there (about 50 min) and halfway back. I thought maybe he didn't like his infant carseat, so I installed the bigger one I was picking up in Washington, but he still hated it. I wonder if he's getting car sick.

I was also supposed to pick up a wholesale fish order on my way back, but the lady who works at the pick-up dock called me and said she noticed my address and she lives right near me, and would I prefer to pick it up from her house? I LOVE small town moments like that, here in this big city!

In my haul I got a T-Tapp video, that orawellness solution, and a laser for my acne. I will be having fun with my new toys!

This was the first time I've had to pack Whole30 road snacks. I wasn't very creative and packed hard boiled eggs and nuts - 2 things I'm supposed to be avoiding! Must give that some thought.

I also realized how easy it is to mindlessly eat bacon! I totally forgot I was avoiding it, and put it in last night's dinner. And then this afternoon I made a bacon and cream cheese sandwich for my kid and ate the left over half slice. Doh! But that's the last of the cooked bacon, so I can't have any more anyway!

Tried to emphasize vegetables today, since yesterday's food was a bit too meaty.

Added fish oil back in to my diet today. Didn't seem to make me any itchier, so I don't think that was the culprit.

Food

Breakfast

8171132899_d71b864bd0_n.jpg

Kale, Carrot, and Beet Smoothie, Paleo Porridge

Lunch:

8171163642_aa711c78b3_n.jpg

Had to pack something I could eat on the road. HB eggs, crudite. (I didn't eat the nuts - they were for an emergency.)

Second lunch, as hubby would say:

8171164062_351a20f018_n.jpg

Smoked salmon and avocado. Also had coconut manna and berries.

Dinner:

8171164332_1b9a46bfa8_n.jpg

Lamb, coconutty green beans. Only had one slice of lamb, and double the green beans. (Plus ALL the toasted coconut!!) I'm being very uncreative about dinner. I'm just not that hungry in the evening.

Activity

T-tapp video, carrying heavy boxes upstairs

Sleep

10 - 5:30, 4 wake- ups

Mood

Stressed about the screaming baby. Otherwise good.

Gratitude

I'm grateful for the neighborly lady at the fisher wholesaler.

I'm grateful for easy border crossings.

I'm grateful I can still buy stuff on ebay!

Little Victories

It wasn't hard to ignore the nuts.

The stress of the baby crying didn't give me the usual munchies.

Day 48: It's just so bloomin' gorgeous!

Another gorgeous day here. We went to a birthday party this morning and ALL the parents were either sick or just getting over something. Made me grateful that we haven't had much illness in our house so far this season.

Saw my friends who also have a sleepless baby. Man, they look beyond exhausted. That would so be me if I wasn't on the Whole30!!! I feel like I'm really dodging a bullet.

After the party (which was in a beautiful mansion that's been turned into a community centre), we drove down to the beach and played in the sunshine. I'm not sure I can leave Vancouver!

Had a lovely moment with a friend of a friend that I rarely see. She asked how I was, and instead of reflexively saying, "Good" I said "Just okay." (I'm tired and itchy!) And I asked her, and she said, "Good. Actually, no, just okay, too!" And then she told me about her husband's struggle to find work and fear that they'd have to move back to Chile. It was nice to be honest, and have that give someone else permission to be honest too. Score one for authenticity!

Food was boring today, so I only took 1 picture. Had chocolate chili to test out the possibility of a chocolate allergy. Felt slightly itchier after, but that may have been because I was paying attention to whether I was itchy! It's such a tricky thing to measure, since it's so affected by how well one can tune it out.

Food

Breakfast: Ground beef, sweet potato, cinnamon, veggie smoothie (collard greens, beet, carrot, collagen)

Lunch 1: Smoked salmon, broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, tomato, avocado, melon, pineapple, strawberry

Lunch 2: Smoked salmon, mixed greens, avocado, coconut manna, berries

Dinner:

8174111910_25566d1437_n.jpg

Chocolate chili over cauliflower rice

Activity

Playing on the beach

Mood

Pretty good. Wasn't annoyed when I woke up to a messy kitchen because hubby was too distracted by his video game to clean up after dinner. And then he slept in! I laughed rather than seethed. This is a good sign!

Sleep

10:00 - 5:45, 4 wake ups. Clearly the baby is in an early-riser phase. I need to go to bed earlier. Nap 2- 3.

Gratitude

I'm so grateful for good friends.

I'm grateful that rich people donate their mansions to be used as community centres.

I'm grateful to live in this gorgeous city.

Little victories

Didn't feel left out not having birthday cake.

Didn't get annoyed about the kitchen. It eventually got done. Nobody died, except those weird creatures in the video game.

Day 49: Happy Tongue

My husband thinks I'm ridiculous, but I'm so pleased with how healthy my tongue looks these days! I've finally gotten rid of the white fuzz that I've had since taking antibiotics in April. (I had a bad case of strep and DID NOT want that being passed around my family!) I'm all into my Orawellness routine now, too - brush teeth, brush gums, floss, scrape tongue. My mouth feels so wonderfully clean!

I laid awake last night from 3:30 - 5:30, and then baby got up at 6. No fun! Didn't feel too bad today, though. I'm going to start working on helping him fall back to sleep without nursing. He's not sick or teething right now, so I should take advantage of that.

Cleaned the house and sold my last big thing on Craigslist. Yay!

Got my seafood delivery. What a bounty! Fishcakes for dinner. Made the "dreamy guacamole dressing" from It Starts With Food to go with it. Was boring without the cilantro, so I added ancho chile powder and liquid smoke to liven it up.

Went to brunch and was so excited that they use clarified butter and no cream in their hollandaise, so I finally got to have eggs benedict for the first time since starting the Whole30! It was delicious, but I got shooting pains in my stomach afterwards. Not sure if it was the butter or something else. Guess I won't be brunching again for a while.

Food

Breakfast: Chicken sausage, sweet potatoes, green smoothie (leafy greens, carrots, collagen)

Brunch: Eggs benedict (no muffins) with duck sausage, mixed greens

Snack: lamb, sun butter, jam

Dinner:

8177826400_31f7757028.jpg

Sole/shrimp/scallop cakes, dreamy avocado dressing, mixed greens, tomatoes

Dessert: coconut manna, berries

Activity

Walk 1km

Sleep

9:30 - 3:30, 5:30 - 6, 4 wake ups

Mood

Pretty good. Gettin' stuff done!

Gratitude

I'm grateful for good friends to brunch with.

I'm grateful for my kitchen tools.

I'm grateful for my freezer.

I'm grateful for nice people on craigslist.

Little victories

Bought a small jar of sunbutter to make "Sunshine sauce." Had a spoonful from the jar and..didn't binge. Didn't find it very appealing, in fact. Phew!

Woke up with a stuffy nose in the night, but I feel all better today. That was quick!

Day 50: A lovely day at home

Today is Remembrance Day, so my kid stayed home with us this morning. He was an absolute delight to be around, which hasn't been the case for a few months. I couldn't help thinking, "I don't know who you are, but you can come over to play anytime!" We baked muffins and he finally let me trim his shaggy hair and over-grown nails. Suddenly he looks so much older to me.

The baby and I had an active night. I gave him several "opportunities" to fall back asleep without nursing. He'd wake up, moan, kick my back, eventually fall back asleep, and wake up 20 minutes later because he'd still be hungry. But I reckon he needs the practice, and his appetite will be slowly waning as he eats less at night, so I'll call it progress! Definitely playing the long game on this one.

The baby was pretty attached at the hip today (probably because he was tired). I kind of welcomed it because I'm feeling awfully sentimental about him being my last little squishy, cuddly baby!

The rash is STILL hanging around. This is Day 8 of it. It's not as bad as it was the first few days, but it's still pretty itchy, red, and widespread. I had pork for breakfast, but it was itchy before then. I don't know if it's worth going back to the doctor.

Food

Breakfast:

8181097891_9809ab9451.jpg

Carnitas, salsa, avocado, sweet potato fritters

Lunch: Smoked salmon, mixed greens, tomatoes

Snack: Coconut manna, berries

Dinner:

8181134956_19d4b90714.jpg

Dessert: sunbutter, jam

Activity

None

Sleep

9:30 - 6:30, 7 wake ups, nap 12;30 - 1:30

Mood

Happy, sentimental

Gratitude

I'm grateful I can spend so much time with my kids while they're little.

I'm grateful my husband works from home.

Little Victories

Baked today, and didn't feel the need to make myself an emergency treat to be able to resist the muffins.

Day 51: Wavering

We had a particularly bad night last night, which ended at 4:45am. I got up feeling like I really need to address the baby's sleep issues in a systematic way. But the more I thought about it, the sadder it made me. I like cuddling my little baby all night long. I hate the idea of him not understanding why he suddenly has to be in a crib and cut off from the cuddles. I don't want to do anything that makes him feel less loved or less trusting. But I'm tired. Very tired.

And now I'm also sad.

I bought a clock for the bedroom, so I can track what time he wakes up and look for a pattern, and decide which wake ups will be accompanied by milk. That's a start, I guess.

Had more fruit today, and was less itchy. Maybe it is a ketosis rash?

Started taking the Green Pastures Butter Oil/Cod liver oil blend today. Was afraid it would be disgusting (I'm taking the cinnamon gel) but it really was no big deal. Did the "refrigerate, then use a butter knife to make a ball that you pull off with your teeth" technique.

Used my last dermabrasion Groupon today. Turned out to be a full on 2 hour high tech facial. Dermabrasion plus 3 different lasers! Very exciting. Also a LOT of extraction - Yeeowch! So now I look like I'm properly broken out, which goes so nicely with my rashy neck and arms. Beeeyooooteeful!

When I told my kid they used lasers on my face he said, "I'll kill them! And then I'll get you another Groupon!"

Got home an hour later than expected so had to make dinner in a rush. It turned out unexpectedly DELICIOUS! I was going to make Mel's Sunshine Sauce, but I didn't have time to look it up, so I just made a paleo version what I remembered from the moosewood cookbook - sunbutter, hot water, coconut aminos, and ancho chili powder. I should have put lime in it but I forgot. I put the sauce on carnitas, put the carnitas on spaghetti squash, put the squash on a large lettuce leaf, put cilantro on top, and rolled it all up. It was ridiculously good!

Food

Breakfast

8184129060_cb4f02d871.jpg

Smoked Haddock, sweet potato fritters, banana

Lunch: Chicken, avocado, spinach, coconut manna, berries

Snack: Carrot, smoked salmon

Dinner:

8184092899_35ebb8859d_n.jpg8184092575_8fbfd6caf1_n.jpg

Shredded pork with spicy sunbutter sauce, spaghetti squash, cilantro, lettuce leaves, all wrapped up!

Activity

None

Mood

Sad about the idea of sleep training.

Sleep

9:30 - 4:45, 4 wake ups, nap 9 - 10

Gratitude

I'm grateful that I can go get pampered while someone else takes good care of my kids.

Little Victories

So tired, but not cranky.

I like cuddling my little baby all night long.

It's as if the universe said, "O RLY?" Sure did get lots of cuddles last night - every stinkin' half hour. My longest stretch of sleep was 1 hour long. I'm getting a sleep coach!!!

Day 52: Tipped

Last night was pretty bad. I don't know how much worse it was than usual, but this time I had a clock so there was no forgetting how frequently the baby woke up. Our longest stretch of sleep was an hour. It's clearly time for an intervention. I'm looking at the Baby Sleep Site to figure out the gentlest approach. I haven't quite decided if I want them to make me a personalized sleep plan. Seems like it would be motivating but I'm not sure about it yet.

I've been tired today, but not nearly as shellshocked as I was when this would happen before the Whole30. Even my husband was like, "I can see it, but I can't quite believe it." I know, honey, me too!

Did all I could to set us up for a better night: 3 good naps, uneventful day, full tummy, quiet dim evening, early bedtime. He woke up about 20 minutes after he first lay down, and since I knew he wasn't hungry and didn't need to burp, I tried an experiment. I laid down with him and rubbed his back, but I didn't pick him up and rock him or walk him around or nurse him. I just let him figure out how to get back to sleep while I was a loving, supportive presence. He cried for about 15 minutes (thank goodness the clock was there, or would have seemed so much longer!) and eventually he fell asleep across me while I gave him a massage. When I moved him, he cried again, but only for about two minutes. What surprised me was that his crying didn't stress me out at all, because I didn't feel like I was withdrawing my love or support in any way. I could totally live with this approach. Now I just have to see if it's an effective way for him to learn how to fall asleep without crutches!

Food

Breakfast: 3 eggs, salsa, sweet potato fritters, raspberries

Lunch: Pork sausage, leafy greens, sauerkraut

Snack: coconut manna, blueberries

Dinner:

8187601856_93e07f5cca_n.jpg

Teriyaki salmon, spaghetti squash, coconutty green beans

Activity

Laundry

Mood

Not bad, considering

Sleep

9:30 - 6, 8 wake-ups nap 11-11:30

Gratitude

I'm grateful that my husband willingly picks up the slack.

I'm grateful for leftovers!

I'm grateful that the Whole30 makes the tiredness so much less.

Little victories

Didn't rely on chocolate or energy nuggets to make it through the day.

Day 53: Slight Progress

Last night the longest stretch of sleep was 1.5 hours. That's a 50% improvement! Yeah, I'm grasping at straws here.

But one very promising thing has happened. My husband, who has seen me go through this level of sleep deprivation before (with disastrous results), finally thinks there must be something to this Whole30 thing, since I seem to still be ok when normally I'd be a worthless heap of quivering flesh. He even (tentatively) decided to do a Whole30 in January! My husband! The vegetarian Frenchie who thinks food doesn't have much effect on health! I'm having a hard time not getting too excited.

I'd told my mother-in-law in the summer that I was really looking forward to her amazing Christmas cake this year. Today she wrote to say she was about to start making it (it needs to be "fed" brandy for a month) and ask if she should make it gluten-free. I told her to make it her usual way, because I won't be eating any. And you know what? I didn't feel sad about it at all! I know that even if I did have some, it would taste sickly sweet and just all wrong to me because my palate has shifted so much. Not to mention that I'd feel gross after. I was surprised at myself! I used to LOVE her Christmas cake!

Food

Breakfast: Egg, Sweet potato fritters, smoked salmon, blackberries

Lunch: Pork sausage, carrot

Snack: Smoked salmon, spinach, berries, coconut manna

Dinner:

8190136062_8c5ef87c31_n.jpg

Steak in a smoky garlic marinade, brussels sprouts and chestnuts

Activity

Walked 3 km

Sleep

10 - 6, 6 wake ups, nap 1:30 - 2

Mood

Pretty good, considering

Gratitude

I'm grateful that my rash is finally going away.

I'm grateful that I had a chance to nap.

I'm grateful for this toothy grin:

8189055099_cb0660a692_n.jpg

Little Victories

Hubby is coming around to the idea that food can make a difference to one's health.

Happily turned down Christmas cake.

My daughter is vegan and I wish she'd consider giving this a try. She is in her 3rd year of college, and I swear has a head cold at least one every term. She is s vocal performance major, so it is particularly disruptive. I'm sure a lot if it has to do with living in a house with a bunch of other kids, and partaking in some unhealthy college "activities", but I think maybe her vegan diet leaves her more vulnerable to bugs. It is cool your hubby is thinking of giving it a try :).

That is one sweet little grin! That smile could make anyone's day.

My husband is slowly coming around to this too. He's been working out of state during the week lately and so is eating worse than he would at home with me. He commented that maybe our diet does affect him, because he hasn't been feeling as well and is belching all the time again (which pretty much went away during my Whole30). I'm hoping that by January when I start my next Whole30, he'll join me.

I'm interested to find out which Christmast treats (non-Whole30) I still love and which ones I can do without.....

Day 55: Sad

Today, I am sad. I am sad that it hasn't worked out to cuddle with my baby and respond to his cries the way he wants me to. I am sad that my quality of life has deteriorated this much. I am sad that the diet can no longer compensate for the lack of sleep.

Woke hourly last night. Gave the baby an 'opportunity' to go back to sleep without nursing at 3:45. He didn't fall asleep until 5:30. I fell back asleep at 6. Up for the day, with a splitting headache, at 7:30.

Sent my forms off to the sleep consultant this afternoon. Now I just have to commit to this course of action. Half-arsed will help no one.

I comfort ate today. Sun butter and jam. My stomach feels awful.

I'm going to add a section to keep notes on the sleep training process, since I seem to be consistently logging here.

Food

Breakfast: Eggs, sweet potato fritters

Lunch: Spinach, sole/shrimp/scallop cakes, avocado, coconut manna, berries

Snack: Cashew butter, jam, coconut water

Dinner: Sausage, tomato sauce, zucchini, spaghetti squash

Activity

Walk 1 km

Sleep

9:30 - 3:45, 5 wake ups. 6 - 7:30am, 3 - 5pm

Mood

Sad, sad, sad.

Gratitude

I'm glad I don't live anywhere that there is bombing.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about how to pay to keep the heat on.

Little Victories

I didn't bite my husband's head off when he suggested I wasn't "cheery" enough in the morning.

Sleep training notes

Went into the bedroom at 7:05 with a tummy full of milk. Fell asleep without nursing at 7:50. Not too many tears, just a lot of "complaining" and head butting and thrashing about.

Other victories: you ate well. Even the "comfort food" was not so bad in my opinion. AND you made a decision to do something proactive about helping you and your darling baby get some sleep. Maybe you don't see this as a victory - I can see it's been a difficult decision for you. I imagine the sleep consultant's process will be rough, but you can do it. Your log is a testament to your inner strength. And if it leads to sleep (aaaahhhhhh), it will be 100% worth it for both of you.

Thanks. I'll try to reflect on past successes to strengthen my resolve!

I was looking at pictures of the baby when he was 3 months old. He was completely covered in eczema and a staph infection, and the respirologist told us we'd have to keep him from getting sick for the next 4 months because he had fluid in his lungs. Flash forward to now - he hasn't had any signs eczema for many weeks, and we DID keep him healthy and now he has completely healthy lungs!

(If anyone is dealing with eczema, this is definitely worth reading. I removed the detergent residue from our laundry and switched to pure laundry soap, and his eczema disappeared within 2 days.)

Day 56: A glimmer of hope

Well, maybe there's something to this no-nursing at bedtime approach. He didn't cry much going to bed, but did fuss and throw himself about (I'm learning to watch out for the head butts!) for about 35 minutes. The baby fussed all night, but only actually cried twice, around the times that he would be legitimately hungry. So he only nursed twice! That's the best pattern in months!

We were still super tired all day, and the whole day was about making sure the baby napped enough to not be overtired at night. I'm getting bored of how all-consuming the pursuit of sleep has become, but now I have a glimmer of hope that we can get to a good place without too much trauma.

Busy day in the kitchen. Got inspired by Whole9's thanksgiving recipes page, and made the stuffing and the coconut butternut squash puree. The stuffing smelled good but was far too soggy; maybe I didn't drain my soaked nuts well enough, but I still drained A LOT of liquid off. The squash puree was bland so I added ground ginger, cardamon, and coconut manna. Still kind of boring. I wouldn't recommend either recipe. Also, finally made some chicken stock in the crock pot so I can reduce it into bouillon cubes - I miss being able to use those!

Food

Meal 1: Eggs, sweet potato fritters, salsa

Meal 2: Tomato sauce, veggies, spaghetti squash

Snack: Coconut Manna, berries

Meal 3: Meat "stuffing", squash puree

Meal 4: Chocolate chili, cauliflower rice

Activity:

None

Mood:

Mildly cranky about disappointing recipes, otherwise ok

Sleep:

9:30 - 6, 2 proper wake ups, a million little wake ups

Gratitude

I'm grateful for the wonderful people on this forum!

I'm grateful that I'm not too constrained by my food budget.

I'm grateful to have an easy-going, adaptable baby.

Little Victories

I'm managing to get extra cuddles while the baby learns to fall asleep without nursing. Double win!

I'm going to be making the Whole9 cranberry sauce tonight (I hope). I was wondering how the other recipes were, too bad you didn't find them to be too awesome. Since we're post Whole30, I'm making a few of the the traditional items and I'm excited! I love the holidays:)

Day 57: Why Does It Have To Be This Hard?

I made some stock in the slow cooker, with all the lovely organic bones I've been saving up, plus the veg ends and some fresh herbs. Left it for 20 hours. It smelled heavenly! Then I reduced it to make my own bouillon. It smelled so rich and delicious. Put the baby to bed, came back, and the stock pot was full of bubbles and dish soap. Apparently hubby, no NEVER CLEANS THE POTS, decided to clean up this evening and thought it was "leftover gunk." I'll admit it, tears were shed. Right now I'm feeling like life is unnecessarily hard. I get that life comes with challenges, and that's how we grow, but lately the disappointments seem so unnecessary.

Ok, done with the pity party.

Comfort ate again. Apparently I just can't have cashew butter in the house.

Last night went better. The baby only cried twice, at the right times for food. Now I need to sleep train myself, because I still woke up pretty much every hour. Ugh. Tonight when I wake, I'm going to stay perfectly still and not look at the clock.

Got my sleep plan from the sleep coach. The first week looks do-able. The rest is daunting, but it's too early to think about that.

I'm really bummed about the bouillon.

Food

Meal 1: Meat stuffing and squash puree. Blueberries.

Meal 2: Smoked salmon and bell pepper.

Snack: Coconut manna, berries

Meal 3: chocolate chili

Meal 4: Steak, asparagus, hollandaise, brussels sprouts, chestnuts

Activity

None

Mood

Tired. Yelled at my kid for yelling at the baby - not very clever.

Sleep

8:30 - 6:30, woke hourly

Gratitude

I'm glad that my husband cleaned the pots. (Said through gritted teeth.)

I'm thankful for craigslist and the nice lady who sold me the crib bumper.

I'm happy about the flattering nursing bra I found - who knew such a thing existed?

Little Victories

Stuck with the no-nursing at bedtime even though I am dead tired and wanted it to be over quick.

Archived