Jeanni's Log

Jeanni Hall

Day 1 redux (cont.)

Found some tea without soy lecithin.  It was a nice white tea with rose petals. So that was nice.  And I pawed through my stash at home and segregated out the offenders, and had a few tea bags that appear to be safe to tide me over until i can stop and pick some up at the health food market on my way home tomorrow.

I was going to cook more tonight but I'm just beat. Starting the day off with a late breakfast after being up late cooking and getting up early to get to the appointment was a tri-fecta of "make Jeanni tired" factors.

Meal 3 was tasty though!

Meal 3

• roasted chicken thigh with sunshine sauce (made without garlic and coconut aminos. Don't know what those do for it, but it was awesome without too)
  • sweet potato with ghee
  • asparagus with ghee
  • non-soy-lecithin-containing hot tea afterwards

I shoul djust give it up and go to bed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 redux - addendum

Ugh. Last night - not so good. After I logged off, i went to sit and read before bed and... zap! old behavioral patterns attacked. I grazed. I had a spoonful of sunflower seed butter. Then a second. Then I forced myself to put that away, and grabbed a handful of coconut flakes instead.... chowed those down and got more.  Ugh. It was all compliant but it was way too close to bed.  And to stop myself from grabbing more... i just shut the book and went to bed. Too soon after eating. I woke up still feeling full and a little nauseated, and definitely not in the mood to eat.

Day 2

But.. .I forced myself to anyway.  It was not a huge meal 1, but it was something and it was within 30 minutes of waking.  So I count it for a win.  And as if to reinforce getting back on track, by the time I was eating the last olive, my stomach was feeling much less unhappy, bloated and sick.  Breakfast for the win!

Meal 1

• 1 large chicken thigh roasted in olive oil with salt and pepper
  • 10 green olives
  • 1 small bottle of coconut water (Harmless Harvest... I'm in love with the stuff)
  • 1 cup coffee with coconut milk (when I got to work, so separated by about an hour)

I know - it's not enough... but it was all i could face the idea of this morning, so I'm running with it. I do have a packet of almonds/cashews/raisins that I can eat if i get truly hungry before lunch, but I want to get back on track with just 3 meals sooner rather than later.

LOL.. ok.. so according the emails i'm getting, the day i have marked as Day 1 redux (yesterday) was actually day zero, and today was Day 1.  Confused yet? yeah. so am I.

Anyway... it's just days. whatever # they have doesn't matter. :)

So um.. Day 1 (the 3rd version) is where i was today. Tomorrow will be my new day.  So just to clean things up, i'll put meal 1 down below and log the whole day in the same post.  

Meal 1 (light because I was feeling unwell)

• 1 large chicken thigh roasted in olive oil with salt and pepper
  • 10 green olives
  • 1 small bottle of coconut water (Harmless Harvest... I'm in love with the stuff)
  • 1 cup coffee with coconut milk (when I got to work, so separated by about an hour)

Meal 2

• browned ground beef
  • spaghetti squash with ghee
  • sweet potato with ghee

Meal 3

• large bowl of Cinnamon beef stew from Well Fed, only i didn't put the orange stuff on top, and I added some water and potatoes and made it soup. YUM.
  • HUGE mixed green salad with tomatoes, olives, avocado, olive oil & vinegar
  • a d'anjou pear cut in half and baked in the oven with cinnamon.

I was still really beat this evening. I hope that stops soon.  i kinda thought i was past most of that before i had to "restart" due to the stupid tea with NOT-TEA in it :)

Hiya!  Day 2 - man what a BUSY day this was! I normally get to post as i go along but not today :)

Anyway - short one tonight i think

Meal 1

• slow cooker egg casserole (i put it together before bed last night) with eggs, ground beef, spaghetti squash, onions and green peppers. 
  • It was a big portion... and i know i ate something for fat with it but i really can't remember what :)

Meal 2

• leftover cinnamon beef soup from last night, and i added green beans to it too, so it had greenbeans, carrots, onions, potatoes and beef. yumm!
  • pineapple chunks
  • mixed organic hazelnuts, macadamias and raisins

Meal 3

• roasted chicken thigh with sunshine sauce
  • grilled zucchini
  • defrosted fruit mix - strawberries, blackberries, blueberries.

Dat's it for me tonight!

So... today I'm going to test out that whole "you've been eating healthy and converting to burning fat, so staying late at work won't be a problem" thing... i probably won't be home much before 9:30 tonight, and don't have food other than an avocado here to eat, so... yeah.  Guess i'll eat the avocado to tide me over.

But! It's been a good (if busy) day otherwise:

Meal 1

• Leftover breakfast casserole - cold. I like cold food. I wonder why that is?
  • Olives

Meal 2

• ground beef
  • spaghetti squash
  • 1 avocado 
  • grapes and a bit of melon - I bought a fruit cup with melon and grapes, but it ended up being totally bland and clearly not in season, so i tossed out most of the melon and only ate the grapes
  • coconut water

Meal 3 - Part 1/Snack to tide me to dinner

• 1 avocado with Salt & pepper, large glass of water

Day 4  - It's saturday! Went back to the chiro and to see my holistic coach today.  It was a great session. I'm feeling really good about things in general. :)

Running low on pre-cooked stuff and i was running late this morning so meal 1 was too light and snacky, I know, but i did eat something at least.

Meal 1

• 2 packets of dried almonds, cashews and raisins
  • coconut shreds
  • hot herbal tea

Meal 2

• 2 eggs scrambled and cooked in 2 small pats of ghee
  • 10 olives
  • blueberries/strawberries/blackberries - small portion - what was left in the bowl from the other night, so probably 3 - 4 each

Meal 3 is going to be my first dining out challenge. We're going to a restaurant for dinner, so I've already looked at the menu online and i've decided on two possible options, based on what they tell me about how things are prepared.  We have had good experiences at this restaurant before when eating there while i was on my fodmap diet and couldn't have any onion or garlic. In an italian restaurant.  They made things special for me, so i think they'll do it again.

• Option 1 -- salad with grilled salmon.  Will ask if they can grill the salmon with only olive oil and salt, no spices/glazes of any kind, and ask for olive oil and vinegar for dressing.

• Option 2 -- steak grilled with no spices or butter - only salt and pepper.  With steamed or grilled asparagus and i'll see if they can get me a plain baked potato or small boiled ones with no butter.  TBH? this is probably what i'll go for. I'll only do option 1 if they for some reason have pre-marinated the steaks. They don't usually though, and i've been able to get this several times in the past.

So i've got my plan in place :)

Day 4 continued

Finishing up my log for yesterday:

I ended up with a mix of options 1 and 2 for dinner. I actually had:

• salad with oil and vinegar
  • plain broiled salmon
  • mushrooms sauteed in olive oil with salt
  • fresh asparagus sauteed in olive oil with salt

:) And sparkling water in a wine glass with lime as my fancy drink.

Day 5

Got up a bit late. I actually haven't eaten because i'm kind of out of pre-cooked stuff.  I will probably make some tuna salad with the last of the mayo before I go shopping. I have some cucumbers i can put it into.  

I just finished making some ketchup and turning that into sauce for slow-cooker ribs and putting them in the slow cooker. I think i'll have them with some sauerkraut and roasted potatoes with ghee for dinner.

Day 5 - continued

So, yesterday i fell into an old pattern of not eating on the weekends.  Bad Jeanni!  I never did eat before i went out shopping, so I only had one meal yesterday. It was a good one though!

Meal 1

• slow cooker short ribs (3 small)
  • broccoli (about a cup)
  • steamed white potatoes (3 small) with ghee
  • baked pineapple chunks with cinnamon

I also had a few bites of roasted veggies (brussel sprouts and carrots) and a chunk of browned ground beef while doing my weekly cook-up.

Here's the food I made for the week yesterday:

• pork ribs in the slowcooker (we had about 6 ribs left over from dinner)
  • 4.5 lb potroast cooked overnight in the slow cooker
  • 2 lb browned ground beef
  • 3 lb roasted chicken thighs
  • a big pot of Chocolate Chili
  • about 8 servings of roasted brussel sprouts
  • a whole bag of baby carrots roasted - probably about 6 servings
  • 6 roasted sweet potatoes
  • 2 giant baked russet potatoes
  • homemade ketchup (used it for the rib sauce and have some left over)

It snowed last night (and is still snowing and supposed to turn into sleet and freezing rain this afternoon) so I'm working from home and during lunch or around 6:00 when i shut down, I want to make some ghee. I've got the pastured butter and a yogurt strainer, so that should do it.

Day 6

Back on track with the whole breakfast thing :)

Meal 1

• potroast
  • roasted carrots
  • roasted sweet potato with ghee
  • olives

Day 6 cont.

Meal 2

• half of a baked potato with a full portion of chocolate chili on top
  • some pinapple chunks baked in ghee with cinnamon

Meal 3

• 2 portabello mushroom "buns" with a portion of pot-roast, some homemade mayo
  • 15 roasted baby carrots
  • baby spinach salad with olives, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and avocado with olive oil and vinegar 
  • some pinapple chunks baked in ghee with cinnamon

Day 7

It's freaking crazy at work lately... so less time for writing long posts. But i don't want to go too long before logging or I'll forget what i had, and i'm trying to track that in case i have to show my dr. I'm eating healthy when I beg him to wait before putting me on diabetes medicine (my blood test turned out to have high sugar. I think maybe because I drank some coconut water with my meds that am, totally not thinking, but I only drank about 4 ounces so I'm not sure that was the entire reason).

Anyways...

Meal 1

• 1 roasted chicken thigh - cold
  • 10 olives
  • 10 roasted brussels sprouts
  • black coffee

Meal 2

•  a portion of pot roast on top of a big container or leftover baby spinach salad with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, olives & avocado
  • olive oil & vinegar on the salad
  • 1 tangelo

Day 7 cont.'d

Whew. Home now and i've had dinner... i can stop being a cranky pants.  I was just super stressed out today - so much to do and I feel like I'm falling further behind each day.  I almost stayed super late to try to get caught up, but i'm tired and cranky and i was feeling like i'd be hungry soon, so i just left and made the 1.5 hour drive home, snapped at Sam, apologized, had dinner and now i'm much nicer again. I'm glad because I don't like me when I'm hangry.

So last night I made my own Ghee. :) I was out and i just whipped out the pastured butter i'd bought just for this purpose, cranked up a pot on the stove and had me a ghee-makin' party :D wooohooo! hot times in the hall household!  At first it was not solidifying so i was worried, then when i decided to tuck it away and not think about it, i moved it into the pantry and went to go read "why is my ghee not solidifying" articles online. I guess it was just ever so slightly cooler there because it solidified right up and when I went back to check it an hour later, it was lovely golden, smooth as silk jar of nice solid opaque ghee. :)

I had some with my dinner tonight, and it was yummy!  Tasted just like what i'd bought, and for less than 2/3 the price of the storebought jar. And knowing it is perfectly fresh is cool!  I might go buy more storebought just so I can have a few more of the jars tho :) i could use them for my mayo etc. :D  Or maybe i should just buy glass jars like that. There's a thought.  Mason jars have been doing fine tho :)

Anyways, on to meal 3's list:

Meal 3

• half a huge baked potato with ghee and a full portion of chocolate chili on it
  • baby spinach salad with oil and vinegar
  • 10 pineapple chunks roasted with cinnamon

Day 8

Wednesday was another crazy day and I worked very late, so i only got 2 meals and a small snack in because i had no real food left at work and by the timei got home at 10:30 it seemed too late to eat.

Meal 1

• chicken thigh, roasted
  • a whole raw sweet red bell pepper
  • a handful of macadamia nuts (raw)

Meal 2

• leftover pork ribs
  • roasted brussel sprouts
  • small sweet potato with (homemade!) ghee

Snack on the way home to stop me from pulling into a fast food joint

• about 20 macadamia nuts (raw) - basically all i had left in the container in the car
  • 1/2 mug of black coffee (yes i know i've been avoiding drinking it after noon and i did today and look.. it's 1 am... shocker huh?)

i am hungry but i don't want to eat now because i'm going to feel awful in the AM if i eat and go straight to bed.

So.. no food for me, though i'll probably drink a nice cool glass of water before bed.

and then in the AM, i think i'm going to try taking my blood sugar with my hubby's monitor when i wake up.  That should give me a good "fasting" reading and i can try it the next day after drinking some coconut water and see if it affects it.  I really hope that's all it was, and that if it's not, the whole 30 turns it around. i don't want to go on diabetes meds... :(  but of course, if this doesn't fix it, I will. I'm not so against it that i'll be stupid about it... but i really want to give this a good go.

anyways..i'm babbling on... time for bed.

Day 9

Well the blood sugar test results this morning were somewhat distressing.  It came up as 213. ACK.  And that was REALLY fasting because i had dinner at 5 and nothing else other than the macadamia nuts about 9 while driving home.  I was reading a blog by a dietitian that say that after about 5 hours your body starts releasing glycogen to keep your blood sugar up, so that really, a fasting test is testing your liver, not your body's ability to use insulin.  So.. yeah. I'm still pretty sure 213 isn't good. Tony and I talked and I'll be testing several times over the next few days - fasting, before i eat and 2 hours from the start of a meal, to get a real sense of it.  That way I can walk into my Dr. armed with real information next Tuesday.  I'll also pull the meal info from my log and put that on a single document for him so that he has a real sense of what i'm eating and we can decide together if I need to start medication or if we can wait a bit and see what happens with the rest of my whole 30.

I'm really feeling very good in general. My hands are still a bit stiff - that seems pretty constant now. Hoping that'll eventually clear up.  But energy wise, sleep wise, i'm doing well. I've been under a pretty high level of stress, so I've been feeling that in my blood pressure a bit the past few days, but thing should smooth out in the next few days. I already feel tons better and more caught up just from staying late last night.

So, that said, on to the food logging:

Meal 1

• 3 boiled eggs
  • 1 tomato

Meal 2

• roasted chicken thigh
  • 1 tomato
  • 1/2 baked potato with olive oil and salt (i forgot to put ghee on it this am so the drizzled olive oil should do the trick)
  • organic roasted eggplant - from a frozen pack i bought.

The eggplant was gross. :) but i still ate about half the portion i packed. blech.  

Does anyone ever read these logs? :) I know it's primarily for our own use but this is the least active community i've found on a site like this... LOL.

Anyway just needed a break from data entry for a few. back to the grindstone.

• Moderators

The eggplant was gross. :) but i still ate about half the portion i packed. blech.  

Does anyone ever read these logs? :) I know it's primarily for our own use but this is the least active community i've found on a site like this... LOL.

Anyway just needed a break from data entry for a few. back to the grindstone.

You'll get more activity on the group threads. Go to the Join the Whole30 part of the forum, and look for one or two that started around the same time you did (most will have a date in the subject), jump in and introduce yourself. If you keep this log up as well, sometimes people from group threads will read each others' logs and comment.

If you have specific questions about whether you're doing things right, or about a particular issue you're having, head to the Troubleshooting part of the forum and start a new discussion, and link to your log in it so people can check out what you've been eating. Occasionally if mods notice you doing something glaring -- like if you're eating corn or peas or something, or if you're eating way, way too little, we'll jump in, but technically logs aren't moderated, and we've had a few users get really upset when we pointed out areas where they could improve things, so mostly we try to stay out of them, though I know some of us read through them sometimes.

Thanks, Shannon, I'll poke around in the other threads. :)

It's been madness last night and today - can't wait for the weekend!  Just popping in to do quick food logging before i drive home and settle in with my sweeties for some family time.

Last night's dinner was a quick one - chocolate chili and steamed broccoli with ghee.

Day 10

Meal 1

• 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 10 olives
  • 1 whole raw sweet red bell pepper

Meal 2

• leftover chocolate chili
  • leftover broccoli with ghee
  • tangelo

Tonight i think i'll make something taco-saladish.  I haven't used my browned ground beef at all, and i probably have an avocado or two ready to go. I've got lettuce etc., so maybe i'll toss the meat in a pan with some fire roasted tomatoes and cumin and chili powder and serve that over salad. 

:) heading home!

Day 10 cont'd

It pays to have a plan. The guys were in the mood for less healthy options (read that as calling out for subs and fries), but i'd been looking forward to my planned dinner all the way home, so I wasn't tempted at ALL.

Meal 3

• pre-browned ground beef heated with a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder
  • a huge bed of romaine lettuce with
  • a whole avocado cubed up and tossed in 
  • about 10 olives chopped and tossed in
  • followed up with about 10 chunks of roasted pineapple with cinnamon
  • decaf chai-spice tea

I was very content and didn't even crave a single bite of french fry :)

So that finished up Day 10. :)

DAY 11!!  I finally got here :) No stupid tea tripping me up!

I had a busy day planned, and stayed up a bit late last night so i slept a bit late, so breakfast today was on the run.  I had to throw it into a baggie and run to the chiro and eat it with my fingers after my chiro appointment on the way to my hair appointment, but I *did* have it within an hour of waking and it was healthy.

Meal 1

• cold roasted chicken thigh
  • cold brussels sprouts
  • a packet of raw sundried nuts (almonds & cashews) with raisins.  That was around 10;15

Then when I got home from the hair, it was about 3:00 so I had a small meal, because we're going out tonight:

Meal 2

• small portion of left over beef pot roast with home-made ketchup
  • small sweet potato with ghee
  • roased brussels sprouts

We're going out to dinner, but it's the same place we went last saturday, so I know i can do fine there. :)

Off to dinner and karaoke!  Good thing I can sing without liquid courage :D  Sparkling water with a lime will be great :)

Day 11 cont.d

Karaoke was almost a bust - we had the one place we went to, but they had troubles with their system, so we cast around and finally found another place to go :) So i got to sing a few times.

Dinner was great!

Meal 3

• 10 oz filet mignon, nothing on it, just salt when i got it to the table
  • steamed asparagus
  • spinach sauteed with olive oil and salt.
  • sparkling water with lime

Day 12

Got up this morning and made my first ever pack of paleo bacon - no sugar, no preservatives, no nitrates etc.  I crowed with joy when i found it in the store last Sunday :)  OMG it was sooooo good. I do love my bacon. So i had 3 slices, hubby had the rest.  

Meal 1

• 3 pieces organic paleo friendly bacon
  • about 3 eggs scrambled with onions in the bacon grease (i figured that counted well enough for a fat :D)
  • steamed spinach

Then instead of going shopping like a good dooby, I lazed around the house and played on the computer. Luckily i still have some food from last week's cookup, though i'm coming to the end of it.

Meal 2

• 3 chicken hot-dogs (no nitrates, no sugar, no preservatives)
  • organic sauerkraut
  • small sweet potato with ghee

Meal 3

• the last cold roasted chicken thigh of the week :)
  • about 10 cold roasted brussel sprouts
  • some coconut flakes
  • about 10 chunks of roasted pineapple with cinnamon

i'll have to stop and do grocery shopping on my way home tomorrow night.

Luckily, i have the fixings on hand for a breakfast casserole made overnight in the crockpot.  So that'll be meal 1 tomorrow, and I think i have enough stuff for a good lunch and a dinner eaten at work before i go shopping on my way home.  Then i'll need to cook at least a bit of it for Tuesday, and then do my big cookup tuesday night.  Being lazy today set me back a bit on my schedule, but it felt GOOOOOOD to be lazy for one weekend :)

Day 13

Today was a bit more "hodge podge" because i hadn't gone shopping and didn't have as much left as I thought. So no breakfast casserole.. instead i scrounged up stuff left over from the week.

Meal 1

• 3 hard boiled eggs
  • a whole tomato
  • the last of the brussel sprouts
  • about 12 large olives

Meal 2

• chicken hot dog
  • some roast beef
  • roasted red peppers
  • green beans
  • a little packet of almond butter

Then i stopped at the grocery store, came home and made dinner with the rest of the leftovers

• ground beef with tomato sauce
  • zucchini noodles (2 whole zucchini's worth)
  • 3 small golden potatoes with ghee

Then I started my next big cookup.  In answer to a concern raised by one of the moderators when I asked a question about fasting blood sugar, I cooked up a larger variety of veggies for this week:  spaghetti squash is back on the menu (i'd taken a break from it last week then realized i missed it :D), along with sweet potatoes, small russet potatoes, steamed asparagus, roasted green beans & carrots, roasted tomatoes and roasted butternut squash.  I really like my veggies roasted much more than i ever thought i would.  I also have cauliflower, spinach, mixed greens, avocados and bell peppers to fill out the plate.

I made the veggies tonight, but since i didn't get finished eating til about 9:30 after stopping at 2 grocery stores on the way home, i decided i'll do the meats tomorrow night along with the mayo and sauces and some more ghee.

Now I'm going to go do a quick chart of the food i've been eating for the doctor to look at during my visit tomorrow.  Hoping he'll take a look and let me wait a bit longer before putting me on meds for my blood sugar.

Day 14

So, the good news is that the doctor, while informing me that all my numbers placed me squarely in the officially "type 2 diabetes" range, has faith in me.  He is as committed to letting this play out with the whole30 as I am. He said normally he would have defaulted right to putting someone on meds for this, but he can see I'm really trying to change, and so we're going to wait 6 months and see where I am.  So.. YAY!!!  That said, I'm going to put into practice some things that will hopefully help change happen sooner rather than later: 

1. hydration - i'm getting serious about it.
  2. sleep - even more important that I get a minimum of 7 hours a night, no excuses. That's a known cause of hyperglycemia.
  3. walking, dancing or exercising.  There can be no more excuses.
  4. cinnamon - It's supposed to be a natural way to reduce blood sugar.

In 6 months when I go back to have labs drawn again, I plan to have done my absolute best to be out of the danger zone, and on my way to truly good health for the first time in years.

So with that plan in place along side the healthy eating of the whole 30 (which I had already planned to be a whole45 at least anyway... ) here were today's meals.

Meal 1

• 3 eggs, scrambled in ghee.  I'm counting that as the fat because it was a generous portion of ghee, and seemed to be fully absorbed into the eggs, and i dumped the whole pan onto the plate, so the ghee came with it.
  • broccoli
  • roasted green beans

Meal 2

• 3 small yellow potatoes
  • ground beef in tomato sauce
  • green beens/wax beans/carrots
  • 8 large organic green olives with red peppers

Meal 3

• 2 chicken thighs (trying to up the quantity of protein based on some feedback)
  • green beens/wax beans/carrots
  • organic "saute mix" mixed greens, sauteed with ghee and lemon
  • 2 tbsp sunshine sauce on the chicken

I made sunshine sauce, mayo, roasted chicken thighs and roasted pork tonight. The pork is in the slow cooker and will be ready to be part of my breakfast in the AM with some roasted tomatoes and butternut squash.  i may melt a bit of my luscious homemade mayo on top of the hot pork. omg... sounds amazing. i better go to bed before i make myself hungry :)

Day 15

Good morning whole30 world! I'm officially starting my 3rd week on my whole 30 and i'm feeling good and still super motivated.  Just a quick morning food log entry this AM.  I'm determined to get caught up today at work.

Meal 1

• hot roasted pork with italian herbs straight from the overnight slow cooker. OMG.. so tender and delicious.
  • spaghetti squash
  • broccoli
  • 1.5 tbsp homemade olive oil mayo on top of the pork -- wow, that was as good as I was imagining it would be.
  • coffee with a spoonful of coconut milk

Day 15 continued

We have a tornado watch and severe thunderstorms at the office, so leaving to drive home is being a bit postponed.... so i thought i'd log my food while i wait.

Meal 2

• roasted chicken thighs (2)
  • asparagus
  • spaghetti squash
  • 1/2 small sweet potato with ghee
  • 8 large olives
  • 8 blackberries

i'm trying to decide what my reward for hitting the halfway point will be. I'm leaning towards a massage or mani/pedi.  I was going to stop and buy new dress pants... these ones were a bit large before i began the whole 30 and they're definitely significantly looser now.... but i may not. bad weather... i have to stop for gas ... bleh.. stopping for anything else doesn't sound appealing. I'm already slightly hungry so i think stopping for anything time consuming would be annoying.  Maybe i'll reward myself with a night of doing my nails in front of the tv instead of bustling about doing stuff like i have been for the past several nights.

Archived