Off the wagon in grand style.. Ready for Round 2.

greenpapaya

I completed my first Whole30 on the 30th of August, without too many qualms.

Felt pretty damn good- my skin was the best it'd been in a long time, my energy levels were much higher than before and the headaches I'd been getting on a daily basis were all but gone. My jeans were also fitting a lot better, and I thought that I'd finally killed the ol' sugar dragon..

Did my Reintroduction and felt like I would and could continue eating this way. For the first few days "on my own", I did stick to plan. But over the last 10 days, culminating last night in an Italian gorge fest of EPIC proportions, I've found myself to have completely and utterly fallen off the wagon. :ph34r:

Couldn't sleep well at all last night being so full of bread, pasta and sugar... and woke up this morning feeling gross and with the decision to start again.

Feeling pretty dissapointed in myself for falling back into bad habits so quickly... and kind of annoyed that the sugar dragon IS still lurking inside me despite me thinking otherwise... but I'm hopeful that I can get back on track.

Anyone else in or has been in a similar situation?

I had been eating pretty Whole30-compliant after my Whole30 a few months ago. Baked a delicious s'mores birthday cake for a little cousin's birthday this weekend. Caved and had to try it because everyone was saying it was delicious. I only had two very (very) small slices. And, after that, I just wanted sweets, more and more.

Horrible, horrible choice. My stomach is all messed up again (started probably like 15-30 minutes after eating it really). I'm exhausted and sleep is much worse. Weird sinus issues are back. Weird rash on my back appeared (literally the next day). And, weirdest part I guess - lymph nodes in my neck are swollen and painful - literally started about 24 hours after eating the cake. (They used to kind of be swollen sometimes before going strict paleo, but, until yesterday, I hadn't noticed any swelling in months. The cake was the only thing different in the last week, so I'm convinced it's a reaction to the gluten and sugar. Though..I did get some mosquito bites the same day, soo there's always that possibility. But I think it's the gluten.)

Never eating gluten again. Ever. No matter what. Started a new Whole30 yesterday to get back on track :)

I used to get the swollen lymph nodes as well! They haven't returned since starting my Whole30 last month, but after the last week of terrible eating, who knows... time will tell I guess.

For me, I think that sugar and dairy induce the worst reactions... I have broken out HARDCORE in some huge, sore, red pimples over the last few days. Up until last week, people had been commenting how great my skin was looking, that it was glowing... and I had even stopped wearing foundation. Right now I don't even wanna leave the house to go for a jog, although I will because it's necessary after last night's feast..

The thing about sugar- at the end of my Whole30, the cravings were honestly gone. I really felt like I didn't need it anymore. The longer I went without, the less I though about it. But one slip- a few tabs of dark chocolate last week- seem to have reignited the craving and sure enough, last night I fully caved.

But anyway. As much as it's tough, and I can't say I'll never have sugar again (because I've said that before and it hasn't happened as much as I thought I could make it happen), I think that the skin issue is something that I'll remind myself of next time something sugary tempts me. May just take a photo of my face today as a reminder! Haha :rolleyes:

I completed my first Whole30 on the 30th of August, without too many qualms.

Felt pretty damn good- my skin was the best it'd been in a long time, my energy levels were much higher than before and the headaches I'd been getting on a daily basis were all but gone. My jeans were also fitting a lot better, and I thought that I'd finally killed the ol' sugar dragon..

Did my Reintroduction and felt like I would and could continue eating this way. For the first few days "on my own", I did stick to plan. But over the last 10 days, culminating last night in an Italian gorge fest of EPIC proportions, I've found myself to have completely and utterly fallen off the wagon. :ph34r:

Couldn't sleep well at all last night being so full of bread, pasta and sugar... and woke up this morning feeling gross and with the decision to start again.

Feeling pretty dissapointed in myself for falling back into bad habits so quickly... and kind of annoyed that the sugar dragon IS still lurking inside me despite me thinking otherwise... but I'm hopeful that I can get back on track.

Anyone else in or has been in a similar situation?

Been there done that. I took about a month or two and then I was back to eating all the same junk as before plus binging. Stressed me out big time so I just had to back off for a while. Finally came back for Whole30 round 2 July 31st and have been pretty much compliant ever since. It took me a long time to come to terms with adopting this lifestyle long-term. I simply wasn't ready for it post Whole30 #1.

My best advice is to choose the healthiest foods possible, continue exercising regularly if you already are, and take it one day at a time. My personal goal is to adopt a healthy lifestyle that will sustain peak health and fitness for the rest of my life. It's been a goal for a year now, and it is what brought me to my first Whole30 in February. It just took a bit longer to make it stick. But it's been worth it.

I am sure you will figure out a long-term plan that is right for you, just as I did. It's really hard to make permanent changes in only 30 days so don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck!!!

I used to get the swollen lymph nodes as well! They haven't returned since starting my Whole30 last month, but after the last week of terrible eating, who knows... time will tell I guess.

It's so weird, isn't it? I'm convinced it's the gluten, and I know it could be anything else really, but the timing just seems to fit too well.

And yes, even a tiny little slip up/bite can trigger...I think I read in other posts maybe it means the sugar demon wasn't completely gone. (I tend to think it also might just mean we're human?)

I've definitely been there... in fact am right now! Learning when I'm okay with off-roading and how much off-roading I'm okay with is a challenge for me. I keep returning to Whole30s and then trying again, and I think I am slowly improving. Good for you for getting back on the horse!

And yes, even a tiny little slip up/bite can trigger...I think I read in other posts maybe it means the sugar demon wasn't completely gone. (I tend to think it also might just mean we're human?)

I'm coming to believe the sugar demon is similar to the alcohol demon... it may never be completely gone.

It's so weird, isn't it? I'm convinced it's the gluten, and I know it could be anything else really, but the timing just seems to fit too well.

Yeah, it was very weird! It felt like I constantly was coming down with a cold or something.. You could definitely be onto something. Apart from last night, I haven't had much gluten at all, so it'll be interesting to see if it comes back..

And I do know now that the sugar demon is still well and truly alive in me. Who was I kidding, really? A lifetime of serious sugar addiction gone in 30 days...Sure. Right now, I think that if I tell myself "No sugar. EVER", then this is only going to set me up for failure.. I just need to take it one day at a time, and think long and hard about the effects it has on me before I make a decision as to whether or not it's really worth it.

I've definitely been there... in fact am right now! Learning when I'm okay with off-roading and how much off-roading I'm okay with is a challenge for me. I keep returning to Whole30s and then trying again, and I think I am slowly improving. Good for you for getting back on the horse!

Yes, setting your own off-roading rules can be tricky, huh? I'm such an "all-or-nothing" type... I wish I wasn't so extreme, but it was so much easier while I was on the Whole30, to have those rules set out for me.

I'm going to try to do eat as Whole30 compliant again from today. My partner and I have our anniversary in exactly a month (where I don't wanna be restricted to in terms of what I eat and drink) so, am going to try to aim for another month of nourishing my body. :)

Archived