Lupus, AIP and Whole 30

Hi, I have Lupus and Fibro, and I'm trying again to start the Whole30 in a few weeks.  I started in January, worked really hard, stressed about the whole thing and was trying to work, raise a family and care for a husband, and I got sick.  Ugh.

I'm feeling better, quit my job to focus on my health, and I am going to try to do this again.  I was going to do the straight Whole30, but I feel like I should be avoiding nightshades, eggs, nuts and seeds, but I feel very limited by that, but I don't know what I don't know.  

My question is this:  Anyone else with Lupus doing or have done the Whole30?  Did you just do the regular W30 to start with or did you avoid nightshades? Any recommendations for books or recipes for those with autoimmune disorders?  Any advice or insight is appreciated! 

Thanks! 

• Moderators

I don't have an autoimmune condition, but I can say from hanging out here on the forums that some people do find some relief from a regular Whole30, even if they do have autoimmune illnesses. If this is a pretty big change from how you've been eating, and especially if you're finding the idea of doing the more restrictive AIP version overwhelming, starting with a regular Whole30 is not a bad way to go. You'll probably see some results, and at the end of it you can reevaluate and see if you want to keep doing regular W30 or move into the AIP. Starting with the regular W30 also means you could get started now, and start working AIP recipes into your rotation as you find them.

You could also check out this Whole30 AIP shopping list, and instead of worrying about the things you can't have, do your best to mostly have the things in blue on this list, limiting the grayed out items as much as you can. As you find more AIP recipes, you'll probably naturally leave out the off-limits stuff more and more.

If you do notice something that really obviously affects you -- like if every time you have eggs, you have an immediate and obvious reaction of some sort -- then obviously, leave those things out for a while. 

For AIP recipes, check out Mickey Trescott's site (not all recipes are Whole30, but many should be), there's 30 AIP recipes here that say they're also Whole30, and the cookbook Well Fed 2 has AIP variations for many of the recipes in it.

Thanks, Shannon! I really appreciate all of the information.  I know that I definitely have an inflammatory response to tomatoes, so I will omit those, but I think going with the straight Whole30 is the best idea for now, especially because I got so overwhelmed when I tried the first time.  I'm going to try not to stress and over do it like I did before. . . . 

I don't have the same conditions, but I found Whole30 *really* reduced my inflammation, without the AIP. I really recommend trying it first, you can always move into the AIP later if you need it (if you do need it, I think it also helps to *know* you need it, rather than be taking a guess).

I recommend keeping a food log of what you're eating, as well as activity levels, how you feel, any other stressors etc.

I have toned down the amount of nightshades I eat now (I tried one Whole30 without them) but found I could keep them in, just in lower volume than before (I ate way too many in the same meal, all the time!).

Archived