ACL Rehab

connistock

My 17 yr. old underwent ACL and meniscus rebuild on June 19th. She has been very supportive of my W30 that I completed and have continued... Day 45. My daughter is naturally thin and tall. Losing weight is not the reason for her to join the W30... her goal is to clear up her skin and to supplement her ACL/Meniscus rehab with good nutrition so she can pursue her soccer career as intended.

She is very picky healthy eater... meat was never important to her... now she can not get enough! Veggies are limited to asparagus, broccoli, cucumber, carrots, lettuce and she just tried zucchini and was ok with it. Fruit - grapes, strawberries, apples and bananas seem to be it...

I need help with side items and some workout foods for her... so she will not keep this attitude of "I am only doing this for 30 days...". We all know that as she progresses in her W30 she will feel the benefits outweigh the cravings she still has but I need to get her hooked on some staple foods that she can look forward to... homemade jerky? Is this true? smoothies that would help boost her post workouts... sorry for just rambling...

Truly want to help her without sacrificing my yummy leaner track... :)

Help needed

• Moderators

Homemade jerky can be great. Smoothies are not banned, but are discouraged because they pass through the body faster than whole foods. Post-workout meals are important, but an ideal post-workout meal for a 17 year old would be a good portion of chicken breast and a baked sweet potato. Both travel nicely in a cooler.

Hi connistock! Have you made zucchini noodles yet? My boyfriend requests them at least once a week and everytime he eats them he swoons--"This is better than pasta!" and his family is big on pasta! THey are super easy if you have a julienne peeler. I follow these instructions to prep the noodles, and usually make them plain (but the extras are probably delicious!) http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/

I hope your daughter is doing well with her rehab :) I had both of my ACL's reconstructed in high school, as well as 3 medial meniscal repairs, and after all of the rehab-ing I feel SO much stronger now!

I started eating semi-paleo in high-school after my second surgery. Some of my favourite snacks after training were

-Sweet Potato with coconut manna(coconut butter)

-strawberry and coconut milk smoothie

-turkey wrapped around carrot and cucumber slices with mustard

-sun dried morrocan olives(if she likes those?) with almonds and an apricot

-leftover steak, chicken, or salmon with a bit of spinach

-banana with almond butter

-macademia nuts and fruit

Just a few ideas :) Tell your daughter that it only gets better, the first couple months are hard but going back to playing is one of the BEST feelings ever!!!

I hope your daughter is doing well with her rehab :) I had both of my ACL's reconstructed in high school, as well as 3 medial meniscal repairs, and after all of the rehab-ing I feel SO much stronger now!

I started eating semi-paleo in high-school after my second surgery. Some of my favourite snacks after training were

-Sweet Potato with coconut manna(coconut butter)

-strawberry and coconut milk smoothie

-turkey wrapped around carrot and cucumber slices with mustard

-sun dried morrocan olives(if she likes those?) with almonds and an apricot

-leftover steak, chicken, or salmon with a bit of spinach

-banana with almond butter

-macademia nuts and fruit

Just a few ideas :) Tell your daughter that it only gets better, the first couple months are hard but going back to playing is one of the BEST feelings ever!!!

Thank you for your list of yummies... I will share asap...I am glad to hear you are stronger... she will be encouraged by that.. today is the balance test and hopefully she can get back to more strengthening! Great stuff... I cannot wait to meet her at the Dr. office today with this list. :)

Hi connistock! Have you made zucchini noodles yet? My boyfriend requests them at least once a week and everytime he eats them he swoons--"This is better than pasta!" and his family is big on pasta! THey are super easy if you have a julienne peeler. I follow these instructions to prep the noodles, and usually make them plain (but the extras are probably delicious!) http://www.theclothe...omfort-noodles/

Just bought zucchini this morning and will try it for sure tonight! Thanks for the link to the recipe. This is the way you cook them for your boyfriend? Sounds great!

Homemade jerky can be great. Smoothies are not banned, but are discouraged because they pass through the body faster than whole foods. Post-work meals are important, but an ideal post-workout meal for a think 17 year old would be a good portion of chicken breast and a baked sweet potato. Both travel nicely in a cooler.

Tom thanks for your information... this weekend she ate several bananas and pistachio nuts... she ended up with a stomach ache... again this being part of the picky eater syndrome... she learned her lesson but is now even more cautious about what to eat. I think a good old chicken breast and baked sweet potato sounds like a good remedy. We are also going to try the zucchini noodles from "Laura B" and the throw togethers from "akt"... we should off to a good start.

Archived