Wow lesson learned

CherylS67

I started my second round after reintroducing gluten on day 8 of reintroduction.

I had non gluten grains on day 1 of reintroduction.  I had a chipotle chicken salad with fajita veggies, guac, and mild salsa only.  I had a half glass of wine that night.  I suffered through a 4 day migraine after that, although it was different than the migraines I normally get.

I chalked it up to the wine.

I started adding in items that had added sugar, but no other noncompliant ingredients and did fine.  I did well with peanut butter. 

I was pretty confident that I had a problem with gluten, but I had to learn the hard way.  I had a graham cracker on Monday, I felt a little yuck on Tuesday when I woke up, I figured too much sugar.  Tuesday I ate a Chic Fil A chicken patty without a bun.  I had a sugar gorge after work (sigh) it wasn't as bad as previous sugar gorges, but showed me I still had a problem.  I got another terrible headache a few hours after the chicken, my mouth was getting sores in it, my GI symptoms were coming back.

I woke up Wednesday feeling like I had the flu, terrible headache, joint pain, no energy, I was bloated, just feeling nasty.  I decided when I woke up feeling that way that I was starting round 2 that moment.

I did some research and I learned that this headache is probably from gluten.  When I went to Chipotle, the employee didn't change his gloves in between making my daughter's burrito and my meal.  I bet there was gluten on his gloves from the tortilla and that's why I got so sick the next day. 

My GI doctor was suspicious that I am gluten intolerant because I wasn't absorbing nutrients or fats (I've been anemic for 6 months and my triglycerides are too low as well as other deficiencies.  I did the W30 as an attempt to heal my gut.

So, when you go to Chipotle during reintroduction, make sure you ask the employee to change their gloves before preparing your food.

• Moderators

Wow. It sounds like you are beginning to get a handle on some important issues.

I am no expert on gluten, but I think it highly unlikely that the Chipotle employee not changing his gloves between preparing your daughter's food and yours transferred enough gluten from her tortilla to make you sick. 

I am not saying that your headache was not caused by gluten, but the research that confirms gluten is the problem is testing that by consuming gluten. In your situation, you may want to avoid testing gluten. That is perfectly understandable. But there are several possibilities for why you felt so bad... you ate at two different restaurants, you drank wine, ate peanut butter, graham crackers, and gorged on sugar. The sugar was not tablespoons of table sugar. It came with other ingredients. 

You ate a chicken patty at Chic Fil A. I wonder if the patty was removed from contact with a bun before coming to you. It could happen. I don't know if that would transfer enough gluten to make a difference, but I think you have more careful testing to do before you can have full confidence in what is going on with you and food. 

Wow. It sounds like you are beginning to get a handle on some important issues.

I am no expert on gluten, but I think it highly unlikely that the Chipotle employee not changing his gloves between preparing your daughter's food and yours transferred enough gluten from her tortilla to make you sick. 

I am not saying that your headache was not caused by gluten, but the research that confirms gluten is the problem is testing that by consuming gluten. In your situation, you may want to avoid testing gluten. That is perfectly understandable. But there are several possibilities for why you felt so bad... you ate at two different restaurants, you drank wine, ate peanut butter, graham crackers, and gorged on sugar. The sugar was not tablespoons of table sugar. It came with other ingredients. 

You ate a chicken patty at Chic Fil A. I wonder if the patty was removed from contact with a bun before coming to you. It could happen. I don't know if that would transfer enough gluten to make a difference, but I think you have more careful testing to do before you can have full confidence in what is going on with you and food. 

The breading on the chicken probably contained gluten, it was on a bun, because I removed the bun.  I'm not sure on the Chipotle, I read that it is a potential vehicle for cross contamination.   I am done with gluten; both my GI doctor and my body have told me it should be avoided. 

Archived