first week done, but...

fatty24

Well today marks a week since my wife and I started W30. It was a LONG week. But- we cooked all our meals together, which is a miracle in itself, since I've NEVER cooked! However, the frustrations of following the "can I have" are huge! I keep running into problems such as trying to ask the butcher at our supermarket if they have the nutritional ingredients for their homemade chorizo. NOPE. Went to my favorite Asian market to get another favorite-Kim Chee- and the label showed sugar AND MSG!! What?? Anyone else having problems like this? Does it get easier?? Please???

We're on Day 30, and it got easier to know what was/wasn't compliant . . . but never easier not to get mad at companies putting unnecessary crap in EVERYTHING. Good work on the cooking together! We have been married almost 8 years with really no cooking, so this was major!

I've learned almost the hard way to read labels on EVERYTHING FIRST! But, there's still things on them that I've never heard of, or they seem misleading. Take canned tomato paste. I looked on the ingredients-no sugar. Great. Then the nutritional label had sugars at 0.5 mg! Huh??

• Moderators

I've learned almost the hard way to read labels on EVERYTHING FIRST! But, there's still things on them that I've never heard of, or they seem misleading. Take canned tomato paste. I looked on the ingredients-no sugar. Great. Then the nutritional label had sugars at 0.5 mg! Huh??

Tomatoes (and all fruits and vegetables) have naturally occurring sugars. All you need to worry about for Whole30 purposes is added sugar/sweeteners listed in the ingredients list, just ignore the nutrition label.

In the Downloads section of the website, there's a sneaky sugars list, and a common additives cheat sheet -- those are both helpful for knowing a little more about what some ingredients are and whether or not they're okay.

Tomatoes have naturally occurring sugar. You don't go by nutrition but by ingredients.

Archived