Fruit

Should i only be eating fruit post workout?  In the past fruit has been my primary fuel/calorie source.  I've always started my day with a .5 cup of oatmeal+blue berries.  No grains for the rest of the day, but relied on fruit for energy.  Now that I'm getting ready to start my whole30, cutting back on fruit is going to be a difficult change for me.  

My plan for pre-workouts is primarily going to be hard-boiled eggs and avocado.  Post workout is going to be a meat+veggies+2 servings of fruit.  The rest of the day should I be eating meat, veggies, and fats?

I love avocado as well.  Is it ok to be eating 1 to 2 avocados a day during my whole30?

Fruit will replenish LIVER glycogen. You are looking to replenish MUSCLE glycogen so go for starchy carbs instead - something like sweet potato, white potato, parsnip etc. No fat post WO either as this will slow down absorption of the protein to the muscles when they need it most. 

Your other three meals should be protein + veggies + fat.

If you chose to eat fruit (many chose not to) ensure it is not eaten alone, but rather as part of a meal (like berries in a salad, pineapple in a curry etc) or immediately after a meal when it will have less impact on blood sugars. Keep it to two portions per day max and don't let it push the vegetables off of your plate.

1-2 avocados per day is fine, but it's best to try & mix up your fat sources as over exposure of any  food can become problematic.

• Moderators

Hold on Wes! I don't think you understand our recommended approach to eating yet. Study our meal planning template carefully, especially the part about post-workout meals...

How much to eat

A boiled egg or two is a good pre-workout meal. The point of pre-workout food is to send a signal to your body, not to load up on fuel. A whole egg includes good fat, so you do not need to add avocado.

The way you talk about a post-workout meal, it sounds like you are combining it with another meal. Don't do it. A post-workout meal is specialized - lean protein and optionally starchy veggies. Your regular meal needs to include a healthy portion of fat too. And, when you workout, you are due extra food. When you combine meals, you eliminate food and set yourself up to under-eat. Don't do it. 

You would be well served to go cold turkey and eliminate fruit. There is no nutritional benefit of fruit that is not supplied more abundantly and densely by vegetables... except for sugar. :) Fruit tastes great, but your body benefits more from veggies. 

Archived