No period

Fbhana91

Hey,

I've just started my third cycle of Whole 30 and I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer some advice on something I have been struggling with.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my period back, I was on birth control for 2 years or so, but I came off it about 3 years ago and I haven't had really had a period since. Doctor's have diagnosed me with premature menopause/ovarian failure (I'm 24) and suggested synthetic hormones, but that's just not an option for me, I'm not wanting to do that. I did experience very very light bleeding last year between June- September. Nothing before that and nothing since. And  I allowed my sugar dragon to return after completing both cycles of whole30... blah.

I also suffer from Colitis and I have been told this is another auto immune response?

I hear loading up on good fats could help regulate hormones? Anyone else have any tips/advice that has worked for them?

Thank you :)

Hey there

I'm no gynae expert but I do know that in order to re-regulate hormones you really need to focus on eating within an hour of wakening, eating nourishing template meals, and focusing (A LOT) on good sleep hygiene.

You may find (as do many folk here) that it will take an extended period of time for you to see the results you are after, but there is nothing about eating in this way that will do you any harm... Many extend to 45, 60 or even 90 days to achieve their goals, particularly if they are coming from a background with medical issues.

What does a typical day look like for you on Whole30? ie. food, sleep, activity, stress...

Hey there

I'm no gynae expert but I do know that in order to re-regulate hormones you really need to focus on eating within an hour of wakening, eating nourishing template meals, and focusing (A LOT) on good sleep hygiene.

You may find (as do many folk here) that it will take an extended period of time for you to see the results you are after, but there is nothing about eating in this way that will do you any harm... Many extend to 45, 60 or even 90 days to achieve their goals, particularly if they are coming from a background with medical issues.

What does a typical day look like for you on Whole30? ie. food, sleep, activity, stress...

Thank you for your reply :)

Mon-Fri: I eat when I get to work. I wake up at 6:40, and get to work by 8AM. I always start with a warm, large, glass of water, wait 15 minutes and then proceed to eat my whole30 compliant meal. This will be 1-2 palm sized servings of protein, 2-3 servings of veg - both which will be cooked in some kind of compliant fat. I've recently been paying more attention to getting the fat servings up, i reckon this could be improved.  On weekends I will usually eat within/by the hour of wakening.

While my main meals will consist of nutritious food, my snacking, on the other hand is a little rebellious. I haven't practiced any self control since my last whole30 last year so I realized I needed to sort it out. I give in to my sugar crave the moment it kicks in. 

My sleep pattern isn't bad, I get 8 hours in. I do wake up once/twice in the middle of the night - but not often.

I have been strength training for around 2 years and the sessions are always heavy and intense. I'll occasionally have a de-loading week when my trainer deems it necessary. No training on weekends.

I have started taking supplements again (as of yesterday) such as: fish oils, magnesium and zinc (brands which are recommended by Whole30) 

I wouldn't say I am stressed, as such? But I do suffer from anxiety which I am trying to manage.. 

Again no expert but I have needed to work really hard with my hormones as well.

My background is severe PMS/periods - between my period and PMS symptoms - I would suffer for approximately 2 weeks at a time: migraines, moody, bouts of really bad depression, not to mention the cramping, bloating, and everything hurting - now?  NIL - I maybe have a slight pressure and general discomfort in my abdomen 1/2 a day ahead the beginning of my period.  That is it.  And yes I still do suffer from migraines - although the intensity and duration is completely different - I can actually function during one - whereas before I would be out for 3 to 5 days.

I am curious to what your previous eating history was?  

I have found for me that I need to include a minimum of 2 fist sized portion of starchy veggies in a day - more a week ahead of my cycle.  This helps keep my hormones happy and my moods even.  I would start with a minimum of 1 fist size portion daily - more if you are exercising.   I also limit my fruit intake - right now I am not in the mood for fruit - so therefore I am not eating much - some berries or pineapple every few days if I feel like it.

Again no expert but I have needed to work really hard with my hormones as well.

My background is severe PMS/periods - between my period and PMS symptoms - I would suffer for approximately 2 weeks at a time: migraines, moody, bouts of really bad depression, not to mention the cramping, bloating, and everything hurting - now?  NIL - I maybe have a slight pressure and general discomfort in my abdomen 1/2 a day ahead the beginning of my period.  That is it.  And yes I still do suffer from migraines - although the intensity and duration is completely different - I can actually function during one - whereas before I would be out for 3 to 5 days.

I am curious to what your previous eating history was?  

I have found for me that I need to include a minimum of 2 fist sized portion of starchy veggies in a day - more a week ahead of my cycle.  This helps keep my hormones happy and my moods even.  I would start with a minimum of 1 fist size portion daily - more if you are exercising.   I also limit my fruit intake - right now I am not in the mood for fruit - so therefore I am not eating much - some berries or pineapple every few days if I feel like it.

Hey, thank you for your reply :)

Wow- your symptoms were intense! Prior to birth control, I also suffered pretty badly from period pains. Not so much pre-period, but definitely during. I would be bed bound for at least 1 day. My sister's and I suffer pretty badly from period pains, aching body, very painful cramping uterus and abdomen, fainting, dizziness, nausea, vomiting. 

What might be worth mentioning is the doctor use to prescribe me pretty heavy heavy meds which didnt work to alleviate the pain, but what did work a treat, bizarrely, was Nurofen (ibuprofen) I use to take the maximum daily dosage that was allowed and it would kill off the pain. I didn't have much of an appetite while in pain so a lot of the time i took them on an empty stomach..  probably a contributing factor to me now having Colitis?

Anyway, as far as my eating habits go.. I was your regular teenager eating whatever was easy to cook and eat. I lived away from home during University so I didn't take much care in what I ate. Pasta, take out's, bread, dairy, etc etc.  I come from an Indian family, so at home my mum cooks your typical and traditional food: rice dishes, veg and meat curries, fresh chappati's, and we will also cook other things like italian, mexican, and oriental food - often using store bought sauces.

I've started keeping a track of what I eat and noting how I feel so I can start to get a feel of how my body responds to the food I'll be eating  - something I have failed to do up until now.

How were you able to figure out that starch is what you needed to regulate your hormones? Low servings of fruit is a good idea, I did this in my last whole30 and i found it pretty easy as I was taking magnesium at the same time. I found it curbed the sugar craving really well for me. Struggling right now though!!

I'm honestly a bit of a moody person - so within a 9 month time frame I was able to figure out - too low on starchy veg and my body freaked out a little - moods were all over the place.  To much starchy veg and I feel tired and lethargic.

The way we react to starchy veg is highly individualistic - some people do really well low carb - others don't. You have to find your own balance - one that works well with your hormones. 

Archived