Tessemae's Mayo: Safe during Pregnancy?

So I really would like to make crab cakes or possibly even chicken salad/ tuna, but since I am 29 weeks pregnant I think making my own mayo with the raw egg at home would not be a good idea. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Tessemae's Mayo is it safe to eat like store bought mayo while pregnant? I would like to order some but wanted to see if anyone else has tried it while pregnant first. Thank you!!

• Moderators

You might go to their website and email them to ask, they would know better than anyone here.

You can also google how to pasteurize eggs and do that before making mayo, or you may even be able to find already pasteurized eggs at the store -- I've never looked for them but hear they are available in some places.

Another option would be to google AIP mayonnaise recipes -- they automatically won't have eggs, as eggs are not allowed at all on the AIP protocol.

Also, I've never tried it with tuna, but chicken salad made with mashed avocado is a good option. Tuna would probably be good too, I just haven't tried it.

• Moderators

Thank you Shannon, I guess I will call them and see if they used pasteurized eggs to make their mayo, I am guess they do since their site mentions the mayo does not have to be shipped with an ice pack so it must be semi-shelf stable until opened?

I've never tried theirs, but yeah, if they're shipping it without ice, they must be doing something to pasteurize it and make it stable. Definitely call them first and ask. If for some reason theirs doesn't work out for you, I know of at least one other W30 compliant mayo you could order online (I've never tried it either, and don't know if it's pasteurized or not) -- Primal Kitchen Mayo.

Archived