McCormicks spices? Do you know if these are compliant?

I'm trying to rid my kitchen of all the non-compliant spices and I am just wondering if anyone else uses McCormicks spices? I get the whole "read the labels" thing but some of them don't have an ingredient list (in place of the ingredients it has a recipe for something). I've tried googling it but I can't come up with anything. I'm starting tomorrow so if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. 

It's not really helpful for you for exactly the reason that yours have no label, but I have had a number of McCormicks spices which have been non-compliant, both spice blends and things a normal person would assume is pure by name (single spice).

For context I'm in Australia and all of mine have labels :)

When there are no labels, you really just can't know for sure, so from a practical perspective, you could pack up anything without a label and after you've done your Whole30 and after you've done your reintroductions and know where you're at, they'll still be in a box for you if you decide you want to give them a whirl.

If you're worried you'll sneak one (or someone else will) out of the box, see if a friend can keep it at their house.

• Moderators

In the US, if it is a single spice, it should be safe. Cinnamon, for instance, will not have an ingredient list, unless they've added something to it. If there's more than one thing in it, it must have an ingredient list -- this could be spice blends, like "taco seasoning" or "Italian seasoning" -- which might both be okay, but they should have ingredient lists so you can check. My McCormick brand Paprika lists paprika and silicon dioxide (this just keeps it from clumping, and is fine on Whole30 -- I probably could have found a paprika without it, but this was probably convenient at the time), but my McCormick brand Ginger doesn't have a list, so it's just ginger.

A quick search turned up this response to a question about gluten in their spice blends -- obviously, gluten isn't the only thing Whole30 leaves out, but it sounds like it should be easy to tell if your spices are okay or not based on what they say about their labeling.

Archived