4/11 - Day One, Spiritual Journey

NealinSF

It's my first day, and I intend to make this a spiritual journey. My evenings entail snacks and TV. I eat most of my calories after dinner. I plan to replace that activity with reading and meditation in my bedroom. Whole 30 suggests approaching the challenge one day at a time. For me, this means living in the present moment.

Lest you categorize me as a hippie in San Francisco, I'm a dad of 3 young children with a 9to5 job and debt up to my ears. I expect this lifestyle change will improve my life in all of those areas. This will be a game-changer for me.

Best of luck to everyone else starting with me, today!

Exercise would be a game changer for me, but even before that, I think it's meditation and nourishing food.  Those are my two goals for the month which sound so easy on paper, but aren't in reality.  Good luck to all of us!

The piercing headache started last night. When the alarm started screaming, the headache was still there, so I slept for another hour which threw off the whole morning. Thankfully, my wife jumped in to help prep my lunch while managing 3 kids. Reading the daily Whole 30 email on the commuter train helped get my head straight. The headache is just a dull roar now. The sugar dragon will have to take a backseat while I get some work done.

Good luck to everyone on Day 2!

Neal

• Moderators

Hi, NealinSF -- I've merged your topics into one log. Rather than starting a new topic every day, just come back to this one and reply to it, so that all 30 days end up in one place so you can review your progress over time.

If you'd like the name of the topic changed from 4/11 - Day One, Spiritual Journey to something else, just let me know what you'd like it to be, and I"ll change it for you.

Neal, I appreciate your relationship to your whole30. Stress had moved me into that same all-evening-long eating pattern. What I find (having done this before) that almost immediately I feel the switch inside from emotion-driven appetite to physiologic hunger. 

I also have been practicing mindfulness meditation for years now and I when I started this, I said to myself, "Mindful eating will be the focus of your practice for 30 days." 

So I am taking this as an opportunity to listen deeply (without judgement) to my body, and to pay attention to my food when I eat. 

I am very interested in hearing from you as you take each step on the way. Good luck!

Pea

Archived