SO EXCITED- found coconut oil in the ARCTIC!

I am so unbelievably over the moon! I love trying new things on my Whole 30 (Day 14 here!) and it's a challenge since I live in a remote, fly-in only place. BUT I found coconut oil today! I AM SO EXCITED!

I googled "coconut oil recipes" and 90% of what came up were Paleoified desserts, which are a Whole 30 nono. I am planning on making scrambled eggs with coconut oil for breakfast but any of your fave ways to use coconut oil would be greatly appreciated!!

Have a wonderful day! WOOO!!

• Moderators

Some people don't care for it in eggs -- if you got the unrefined or virgin type, you may notice a coconutty flavor, which some people don't care for in savory dishes. It's never bothered me, but some people don't like it.

I put a big dollop of coconut oil on a baked sweet potato, along with salt and cinnamon. Other than that, it's my usual cooking fat for most things, since here it's easy to find. I've roasted vegetables in it, sauteed with it, used it to grease pans when I need to. 

I'm not a fan of using it for eggs either, although coconut milk works well for scrambled eggs...

If I'm making a curry I tend to seal the meat in coconut oil first as it adds a good flavour to the curry...

I also use it a lot in my slow cooker - the last few weeks I put a whole chicken in their, a generous tablespoon of coconut oil & some spices (like cinnamon, ginger etc) & cooked on slow for about 8 hrs...

It also works well for sealing shin/brisket before slow cooking, then adding any excess oil & juices to the slow cooker along with veg & spices (go for winter ones like all spice berries, cloves, garam masala)....

It's also good for making bullet proof coffee (with ghee in place of butter) if you're that way inclined.... 

Archived