I just want to be ME again.

youngann

Today I feel great. Something that I can’t quite put my finger on has changed. In getting ready to go out this afternoon, I felt quite confident with myself. No new hair-do, no new outfit, just the same old thing but different somehow. I like it.

For the first time since starting W30 and quitting smoking, I was around someone who was smoking – a lot. I did ok while I was there but, once I got home, I was craving a cigarette something fierce. I did some Yoga instead.

Breakfast

Sweet potato, broccoli & cauliflower hash

2 fried eggs

½ avocado

Lunch 

Chicken salad with tomatoes, celery, onion & green pepper

Spinach salad with ranch dressing

½ cup raw carrots w/dressing to dip

Dinner

Pot Roast with sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onions & mushrooms

Steamed broccoli & cauliflower

Day six is in the bag.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One week down, three to go. I can do this!!

Breakfast

Potato & broccoli hash in coconut oil

3 scrambled eggs

Banana

Lunch 

½ of a 14oz can of salmon with Tessamae’s Balsamic dressing

1 cup of vegetable soup with 1 tbsp coconut cream

Dinner

Leftover Potroast w/carrots, celery, potatoes & mushrooms

Day seven is in the bag.

Wow, I finished week 1...yay!

Did my meal plan for week 2 yesterday and will go shopping first thing this morning. Then I'll get everything prepped for the next few days. We have an odd week coming up with 3 doctor's appointments so I've planned around them. I'm really hoping for no bad news at any of the doctors as I want to keep this positive attitude going. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed indeed and hopefully some positive encouragement from the doctors.  A week of clean eating and no cigarettes is pretty dang impressive - quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done.  But now that I think about it, at least I did it and it was so black and white.  Eating well continues to be a struggle for me and not near as easy because food is a part of everything so maybe eating well will be the hardest thing I've done once I finally succeed at it.

Congrats on entering into week two!

Thank you, Emma. You WILL succeed at eating well, just for one more day, then one more!

I really appreciate your encouragement, especially tonight when I was sooooo tempted to cheat. I was fixing dinner when, all of a sudden, I was craving a glass of wine in the worst possible way. I did not give in...yay!

I'm really hoping that, after 30 days, I won't struggle so much with food. Not that it was ever really a struggle, if food was there, I would eat it...lol. That's always been my problem, I LOVE food.

Breakfast

Vegetable hash – squash, onions, tomatoes, spinach fried in coconut oil

3 fried eggs

½ avocado

Lunch 

½ of a 14oz can of salmon with Tessamae’s Balsamic dressing

1 cup of vegetable soup with 1 tbsp coconut cream

Spinach Salad

Dinner

Crab legs (tons :-) with clarified butter

Cold shrimp

Leftover Vegetable hash

Day eight is in the bag.

I told hubby this morning that if he wants to go out to dinner this week, we can. As long as I can order a steak or a burger and salad. This will be my first test of declining all the good sounding bad stuff on the menu.

If you haven't already tried the sausage patties in the W30 book, you're missing out. They are absolutely delicious!

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good. I seem to have a bit more energy than usual, although I did take a 30 minute nap yesterday.

Breakfast

Spinach & Tomato Quiche

Bowl of vegetable soup w/carrots,celery,squash,potaotoes & Coconut cream

Cup of decaf coffee w/coconut cream

Lunch 

2 hard boiled eggs

½ avocado

½ (14oz) can of salmon

1 cup raw carrots w/balsamic mayo

Dinner

3 sausage patties

Sweet potato mashed w/ghee

Caramelized onions

asparagus

Day nine is in the bag.

You're doing so well! I can't believe you're quitting smoking at the same time - you go girl! You'll be a whole new person by the end of this!

I'm finding that I fall asleep much more quickly than I did before whole30 so maybe it is the nicotine withdrawal that's affecting that.

My skin has just broken out with pimples - I feel like I'm 39 going on 13!

Thank you Bec76.  I've quit smoking 3 times before and, after the horrible withdrawals last time, I swore I'd never quit again. This time, however, with my focus on the regimentation of W30, I don't think I've done too badly at all.

• Moderators

Crap!

Melanoma.

Crap!

Oh no!

I have the same question as Emma... what do you have to do now? 

Don't let the stress of this derail you!  You're more healthy without the junk food and ciggies... keep on the healthy track so that you're prepared and healthy/energetic for whatever this is going to throw at you next!

We're here for you!

Do you have someone that can go with you?  I'd go if I lived closer!

Bless you, that's a very sweet thing to say.

Hubby went with me to the dermatologist. I have an appointment next Tuesday to see an oncologist  to schedule a lymphoscintigraphy. Basically dye is injected into the melanoma site and tracked to see if it shows up in any lymph nodes. Depending on the amount of dye in a lymph node, it'll either be needle biopsied or removed.

Immediately after the lymph nodes are addressed, the melanoma will be removed with a 2" margin all around it and as deeply as needed to ensure a clean margin. Further treatment will be determined after this procedure.

That's all I know right now and, as much as I want to, I have not and WILL NOT have a cigarette. If I focus on that, the clean eating should be relatively easy :-)

Oooof.  Good having a plan.  I once heard that if you can get through your toughest day without a cigarette, then you've got the cigarettes beat and that seemed to work for me when I stopped smoking and had to deal with some pretty rough stuff.  You've come this far and right now your body will appreciate every cotton pickin' good thing you do.  So sorry you're having to deal with this.  What a way to turn a day upside down.

• Moderators

You've come this far and right now your body will appreciate every cotton pickin' good thing you do. 

^^ This... totally this... you absolutely can do nothing more loving for your body and mind right now than stay the course... I'm so proud of you for already knowing you're not going to have a cigarette!  How about a nice bottle of kombucha or some blueberries and coconut cream with dinner tonight? You can definitely still do something nice for yourself in the context of a Whole30... bubble bath? Get husbo to run it with your favorite bubbles, put on some soft music or some smashingly loud rock... whatever floats your particular boat... if it was me, it would be Eric Church blasting the paint off the ceiling!

I'm glad to hear that you've got a plan and it sounds like it's definitely treatable and that your docs are on top of things, which is great!

Major hugs!

I took my girlfriend out for dinner tonight and told her about the melanoma.

In processing this news, I have NOT had a cigarette and I have continued to eat W30 compliant. I will make no excuses for the fact that, at dinner tonight, I had a shot of vodka. Since it was a one-off that will NOT be repeated, I still consider that I have eaten clean for today. End of story.

Breakfast

Spinach and tomato quiche

Leftover pork chop

Bowl of vegetable soup

1/2 avocado

Lunch

2 scotch eggs

Sauteed broccoli & cauliflower

decaf coffee w/2 tbsp coconut cream

banana

Dinner @ Chili's

Steak 8oz