Day 3, feeling bloated

I am new to whole30 and I have always been a picky eater but since trying whole30, I've discovered that it's not so bad. However, I am on day 3 and I have felt statisfied after every meal and by satisfied I mean I am bloated and instantly want to take a nap. I do not know if I am eating too much or what but here is a breakdown of my foods:

Day 1-

B: 1 fried egg cooked in ghee over sautéed red potatoes, onions, bell peppers and sweet peppers with strawberries and a half of a half of avacado

L: trader joes cauliflower rice with 1 egg, sweet peppers, onions, carrots and green beans flavored with coconut aminos with 5-6 slices of thin sirloin steak strips and "dump ranch"

D: chicken thighs baked in ghee with roasted sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots with green beans

Day 2-

B: I meal prepped egg muffins with 6 eggs, bell pepper, sweet peppers, onions, and chicken sausage (which was sautéed in ghee) for the week, I had one of these with a cutie due to waking up nauseous

L; since I had a small breakfast I ate two chicken thighs, one with compliant BBQ sauce and one with "dump" ranch, roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and onions and an apple with crunchy almond butter

D: trader joes grass fed angus burger with 1 fried egg, compliant bacon, compliant mayo, sautéed onions (sautéed in ghee) on a romaine lettuce bun and roasted potato fries in olive oil

Day 3-

B- 2 egg muffins (meal prepped from above) and a cutie

L: trader joes cauliflower rice cooked in ghee, with bell peppers, green beans, shredded carrots, and onions also sautéed in ghee topped with 5-6 slices of thin sirloin strips flavored with coconut aminos and topped with compliant hibachi sauce made from whole30 basic mayo, Cheyenne pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder, a dash of low sodium imagine chicken broth and sweetened with a slide of lemon with an apple topped with crunchy almond butter

Am I eating too much or am I overthinking this program? I have always relied on processed junk so being this full is new to me.

I don't think you're eating enough, personally, especially at breakfast. When eggs are your only protein, you want as many as you can fit in your hand (3-4 for me), otherwise eggs and added protein.

Also fat. Half an avocado is a serving of fat and you're essentially having a quarter of one. Try adding fat to your meals. That's in addition to your cooking fats.

Water intake can be a part of it too. Drink about 1/2 oz per lb of your weight (so for me, I should be drinking ~100 oz a day)

And maybe back off on the starchy/carb heavy veggies to about one fist sized serving a day and see if that helps?

And salt. Salt is essential

Bloating can be caused by a number of things:

Too many nuts/nut butters/fruit/dried fruit

Too much seltzer
Too much iced water
Too much raw veg

A sensitivity to high FODMAPs, cruciferous veg or sulphur rich veg
Too many raw crucifeorus veg - double whammy!!

Whilst you do have some high FODMAP foods listed I'd doubt that the body would react just so quickly and would be more inclined to think you're still in the detox stage and you need to seriously up your water intake to flush out the toxins from your former junk food diet.

You are definitely not over-eating - if anything I'd say the composition of your meals isn;t too bad, but you need to eat more overall.

I've been drinking a gallon of water a day, like i have before I started whole30. I didn't necessarily eat junk. I still ate veggies and fruits, I just also ate bread like flatouts which were whole wheat. I didn't think to add this but I'm on my cycle which could be a factor as well. I just didn't want to be eating too much food. Do I still need to eat more even though I feel statisfied?

I've been drinking a gallon of water a day, like i have before I started whole30. I didn't necessarily eat junk. I still ate veggies and fruits, I just also ate bread like flatouts which were whole wheat. I didn't think to add this but I'm on my cycle which could be a factor as well. I just didn't want to be eating too much food. Do I still need to eat more even though I feel statisfied?

This could definitely contribute to bloating.

Re the volume of food our advice would be to plate up a template sized meal, eat as much of it as you can (ensuring you get some of each food group), then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able, ie. don't leave it until your next meal....

You might want to try skipping the fruit at breakfast & replacing it with veg.

Archived