My first Whole30, starting at 42 weeks pregnant!

Hi Everyone,

I'm on Day Three now of my first Whole30. I've eaten Primal for the last 1 1/2 years or so, but I've gotten slacker and slacker during this pregnancy (my third) and really needed a proper detox to get me back on track.

I had set October 1st as my start date a while back figuring that would give me a few weeks to adjust to having a newborn again before I changed my diet, but found myself at 1st October still pregnant. :rolleyes:

So I've started anyway, my husband is on board but pretty unenthusiastic about giving up dairy! I've had a pretty constant headache the last two days, which I'm pretty sure is from sugar withdrawal, but apart from that I'm feeling pretty good.

The biggest struggle for me is not being able to eat dairy. I had a decaf coffee last night with coconut cream which helped with the cravings. I'm a bit worried about not eating enough fat now - I used to consume a lot of raw milk and yoghurt.

I'm really looking forward to having this baby so I can get back into doing some more exercise. I'm feeling pretty unfit.

My midwife says low carb means an early baby, so hopefully it will help to encourage that baby to come out. I'm hoping it works as early babies are awesome, my first was 9 days late, that was rough. Of course I don't want it too early but a week or two would be great. Let me know how it goes, I'm 26 weeks now and have been doing Whole 30 for 5 days now, it's not near as hard as I expected, really the only things I had to cut was dairy and stevia, and cheating when at other peoples houses... What's awesome is that just after a few days I noticed a change in my sweetness addicted tastebuds, I fried some apples in ghee with a few raisins and it was too sweet, that was pretty cool.

I'm actually finding it a lot easier than I thought. I assumed I'd really struggle with being off sugar, as I've been comfort-eating quite often the last few weeks, and it's always something sweet, but I'm not really missing the sugar. A serve of fruit a day is keeping me happy. I was craving dairy, but I've found a cup of decaf coffee a day with coconut milk is enough to keep me satisfied.

Good luck with your whole30 - I did think about doing it earlier this pregnancy but couldn't face it. I had a strong egg aversion and didn't know what else I'd eat for breakfast! Thankfully I'm okay with eggs again now.

Is this your first baby? If so, and if you're not already doing this - get to cooking! You are going to want to have a bunch of pre-made meals in the freezer with a newborn coming. ;)

Hope your baby comes soon! Mine went to 15 days late. She probably would have stayed in longer, if the doctor would have let her!

Congratulations on your son! I am trying to conceive my 4th child. I never had food aversions during my previous pregnancies, so I hope this time will be the same. I'm also hoping that establishing these eating habits now will help me avoid succombing to temptation during my pregnancy, and help me stay fit and back pain free.

Congrats!! I'm sure a home birth is a pretty amazing experience, too.

Kate - I'm managing to stay primal and this pregnancy is proving to be very hard on the stomach. I'm finding if I really listen hard to my body, it will tell me what it needs and it is not saying wheat or sugar! It's actually saying tons of beef, potato and fat for me. :) Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived