Day 13 and spotting

sboavida

I have started my second whole30 on the first day of my cycle. Today is day 13 and I started spotting. I am not on BC right now (but not TTC also). I must say I never ever spotted, not even during my first whole30.

I am being 100% compliant to the program, plus I have been avoiding fruit (maybe once or twice a week?) and also I don't have starchy vegetables everyday. I do eat lots of fat (close to the upper recommendation of the template) even though I am petite.

What could be wrong? Will I stop spotting if I have more carbs? I just don't eat many carbs because I know it keeps my sugar dragon alive and kicking, especially fruit!

• Moderators

This is usually caused by your hormones rebalancing and while I (and the rest of the mods) am not a doctor, it's not usually anything to worry about... you could try eating a fist sized serving of starch every day and see if that helps but it's likely just things shifting around in your body. I don't eat starchy carbs either or fruit because I have a very bad sugar addiction along with an unholy love of potatoes... some women do fine not eating them every day or at all and some people experience depression, low energy and other poor side effects... it's definitely individual...

Ok, so actually it turns out that I got my period today on day 14 of the whole30 (and my cycle also). This is absolutely insane for me! I normally have 38-45 days cycles when not on BC (I do take a lot of time to ovulate). Also, as I started whole30 on day 1 of my cycle, my period only lasted for 2/3 days when it normally lasts 5. I thought that it was odd.

I already scheduled an appointment with my OB/GYN but only a week from today.... Can anyone give me a hint on what might be happening? Is this estrogen or progesterone deficiency? What could be the culprit? I just want to understand what is going on, since I know my doctor won't really care that I'm doing a whole30...

Good news is that I never felt PMS, I just felt a little bit bloated yesterday and I thought that it was odd because all my boating went away on day 10 when I was feeling amazing!

You say you are not actively TTC, but is it possible you could be pregnant? Implantation bleed is often heavy enough to be mistaken as a period... Just a thought!

Other than that some mid cycle bleeding & irregular periods is fairly common when women initially reduce their carb intake and is well documented in Paleo circles. Fat intake & eostrogen levels are also closely linked so an increase of fat in the diet could be responsible for the bleeding.

If you had a long cycle previous to this, and that period was shorter than normal, it might not have actually been a period. Some women who are irregular will have a couple days of even if they haven't ovulated that looks like a mini period. (I'm new to Whole30, but have spent years paying close attention to women's reproductive issues.) So maybe now you actually did start, or maybe it is midcycle bleeding due to hormonal changes from changing your diet. (Which I'm also experiencing and why I came to this forum in the first place!)

• Moderators

It sounds to me like you probably ovulated and experienced mittelschmerz which typically happens 12-16 days before your next menstruation.  Since you're now bleeding again, 14 days after the spotting, you're probably having a period.

if you've been on BC and now you're not, your hormones need to work themselves out and create a regular cycle.

Basically you ovulate and potentially bleed for a bit for 2 days or so... then bleeding/bloating around 12/14 days later... this is a regular menstruation/ovulation cycle... it doesn't sound to me like you have anything to be concerned about. I would write down what happened when and then do that the next time and count the days between... your body is probably just normalizing.

I guess that starting the Whole30 on the first day of my cycle was not clever, it's like my body felt threatened by the dietary changes and after 2.5 days it decided it was not a good time for menstruating. So after adjusting to this new way of eating maybe my body felt safe to resume my period? To me it makes sense...

The only thing is that going through all of this stuff in just 2 weeks made me feel a bit under the weather, I hope to have more energy soon! (Yes, I did increase carb intake in the past days, I think I need them right now).

Archived