Something sweet after spicy food against Whole30 principles?

anfhardin

On Day 8. Cravings not too bad, blood sugar stable. Sugar monster at least in an extended time-out. Have found I'm eating more and more spicy food, and realizing I used to regularly eat sugar after a hot meal to quench the fire in my mouth.

My question is, if I *always* want blueberries or other fruit after a meal because I've set my face on fire with Escabeche carrots or the like, is that the same as "giving in" to a craving? I don't want to stop eating all the yummy spicy things, as I barely notice what I CAN'T eat because our menu has been so delicious.

Any advice?

My advice would be, continue being conscious of whether you just want something sweet and yummy or if this is a conditioned craving that you should be breaking. If it's the latter, I'd say keep skipping it and just have something refreshing like seltzer with slices of cucumber or lime. Maybe you just need to cleanse your palate or hydrate a bit. If you feel you have cravings under control and just want something yummy go for it! My new favorite thing is figs. They're super tasty, fun to eat, and not overly sweet so for me they're perfect.

Thanks for the advice. My go-to has been frozen blueberries with coconut milk, which is so good is always feels like SWYPO even though it's innocent. It's innocent, right? And it neutralizes the heat and acid better than a normal palette cleanser. Sadly, it's not fig season in Austin, so I have to wait until summer to go pick my fill off of the neighbor's tree. Which is perfect, since I hopefully will be on my second or third successful Whole30 by then!

Archived