Walking/running on an empty stomach or should I have a pre-workout meal?

sboavida

I once did this fitness program where I had to do a short walk/run in the morning right after waking up, but I would run on an empty stomach to tap into fat storage and then I'd shower and eat breakfast in the 30min post-workout, which means I would still be eating breakfast within 1 hr of waking up.

Now that summer is almost here and it is really sunny and warm I'd like to walk/ run (I really can't run more than 2 mins in a row so it's not really intensive exercise) in the morning right after waking up.

Can I walk for 20 mins on an empty stomach and then have M1 within an hour of waking?

If not, what would you suggest for pre-workout snack? Would a hard-boiled egg be OK? Would that make me less hungry for the actual M1? Right now I need to last 6hrs until M2 (which I can do easily now) and I'm afraid that if I eat something before M1 I won't be able to eat enough to last until M2...

I have a walk in the morning too. Actually, we have a Jack Russell Terrier, so it's more like a trot and I drink a glass of water first and eat when I come back.

I've done it every day for 2 weeks. I'm on Day 16 and it's working really well. Eat a really good meal after. 

I usually have eggs, potatoes, spinach and a 1/2 an orange.  That last me until the next meal.

I read this morning you dont necessarily need to have the post exercise protein and carb.   If you're doing a normal exercise routine and eating right when you get home you're fine.  If you're an Athlete in training and benching 300 pounds that might be a different story.   Is this not correct?  

This is what I read off a WHOLE 9 page:

If you’re including some light to moderate exercise into your healthy lifestyle and you’re trying to improve your body composition, eating a post-workout meal may not be necessary. You’ve got time between sessions to replenish your energy stores by eating three square meals a day. Pay attention to how you feel, and if you’re not performing well, consider adding a post-workout back into the mix.

I think the key words here our 'may not be necessary' and 'pay attention to how you feel'.

As with all pre & postWO meals it's very individual, but bear in mind that muscles need protein for protein synthesis to occur when they have been taxed (exercise causes muscle degradation so they need to recover & repair). The heart is a muscle, and for someone starting out on a new exercise regime I'd say that might tax the muscle - it will certainly raise the heart rate. 

That said 20-30g of protein is enough to provide optimal protein synthesis. Anything over and above that is surplus to requirements, and could potentially be stored as fat, so a few bites will suffice.

Muscle glycogen on the other hand is only depleted after intense & prolonged exercise and so if your exercise is light to moderate & you are eating adequate carbs throughout the day then there is no real need to replenish the glycogen, which is why we say 'optional starchy carbs'.

Sboavida could always hold off on the postWO if she liked for a few days to see how her muscles are feeling...

I eat breakfast and then walk the kids to school/sitter and then to work. I don't do a "postWO" meal at that point. While I've certainly exercised (spell checker tried to change that to supersized!!), it is definitely light. I just started using a fitbit and it recorded about 7,000 steps by the time I got to my desk today! But it's not something I feel I need to refuel from. I do plan on walking at a brisker pace from school to work (once I don't have the kids in tow!) and maybe then I will need a little something. I carry a heavy backpack with laptop, lunch, notebooks, etc so I doubt I will be doing jogging anytime soon!

I'm not questioning your knowledge but, do you "moderators" take a special corse to give out such in depth answers with such authority

I've done courses in Sports Nutrition, Personal Nutrition, and Diet & Weight Loss Management. I'm also currently in the midst of qualifying as a Nutritionist.

I'm not questioning your knowledge but, do you "moderators" take a special corse to give out such in depth answers with such authority[/quote

You have been very rude to the moderators many times. They know the program better than we do. If you can't say something nice, be quiet.

I haven't been rude.  What is rude about my question?   Its an honest question, Jmcb has answered it I said thank you..  

Because I question those  who are moderators does not equal being rude.

If I see something I dont understand I ask.     

Archived