Store cupboard ingredients UK

Kate McMillan

Hi hope it is going well for you all. I'm on Day 4 now and have already made a boo boo re: chicken stock. Is organic ok? Also I have'nt been able to find any balsamic vinegar without suphites? And curry paste - which brands is anyone using. Any other brands which are whole 30 approved would be most useful. Thanks. xo

• Moderators

I survey grocery stores occasionally and find that most chicken stock includes sugar in one form or another. I've never found acceptable chicken broth at my ordinary grocery store. At Whole Foods, I've found 1 or 2 out of 20 varieties to be Whole30-compliant. Organic is good, but many organic broths include cane sugar. I finally got fed up and started making my own.

Some sulphites develop naturally. I think it is okay to use balasamic vinegar as long as it does not have added sulphites.

I've never found Whole30-compliant curry pastes, but I have not looked exhaustively. I just make my own curry paste with dry spices, garlic, and ginger.

re the chicken stock, check the M&S fresh one, but probably not, you'll have to get your stock pot bubbling! :)

Re the balsamic, all the supermarket ones I checked had added sulphites, I got mine with no added in a posh deli, but it wasn't that expensive at €5 (but the next price up was 10!)

Curry paste - not much good to you as I use thai gold - same brand as my coconut milk

I think Sainsbury's 'So Organic' balsamic vinegar is free of sulphites (though don't have it here to check).

Waitrose do 'A Ladle of Chicken Stock', which just lists water, chicken frames, onion, carrot, bay leaf. But it's probably cheaper to make your own! I have tried the Waitrose one and it was drinkable to go with lunch at work, unlike Sainsbury's one which was very watery.

• 1 month later...

Archived