Day 31!

FusaroFTW

Hey guys! Didn't think I would, but I made it! Day 31 = today. And honestly, I am not eager to go back to my old way of eating.

I LOVE all of these yummy foods I have been eating.

Question:

I may extend my WHole30 for a bit longer, but once I start adding in non-compliant foods based on the book's reco (example dairy for a few days, then try gluten, etc) - where/how does sugar play into this?

During whole 30, I never ate ANYTHING with added sugar.

Now that Whole 30 over, the only 2 things I would REALLY like to add back in would be my 1tsp each morning of palm organic coconut sugar to my coffee (which now i only drink with coconut milk, and will keep that way) AND i miss bacon.

We bought bacon from local farmer during whole30 that had NO added sugar, but I would prefer to get bacon from whole foods/central market. The one I like has no nitrates/hormones/antibiotics etc. And the nutrition panel says "0g" but it is in ingredient list. Clearly - this bacon would not curve a sweet tooth, so is that okay to add back in now while i also start adding dairy back in, then possibly gluten etc, as trials?

Can I add these two things back in now? I literally measured out 1 tsp of palm coconut sugar in my coffee pre-whole 30 so it's so minimal but wanted to check with yall.

OH, and cooking. So, if I am making a paleo meat dish that asks for 1tsp of honey or orange juice, is that okay to start adding in right away?

• Moderators

Congrats on making it to day 31!

Post-Whole30, I never add sugar at home, but don't worry about bacon or sauces in my favorite Thai restaurant that I am sure is sweetened. But sugar is not something I crave. You have to decide for yourself what is okay for you.

If sugar is not a problem for you, your plan should not make any noticeable difference in your life. Even if sugar is a problem, that amount is not likely to make a difference. However, if you want to extend what you have been doing, you have to keep even a little amount of sugar out. It wouldn't be a Whole30 if you relaxed the guidelines even a little.

You can add back whatever you want. I personally don't worry about sugar as an additive while post W30, UNLESS it is HFCS--that I seriously avoid! If something I want has added sugar I try to stick to the cane sugar/brown sugar types or plain sugar. I don't add it to a lot of things so if some salsa I want has a little added it's NBD for me. As for the bacon I would say don't worry about it as long as you know it is clean bacon.

I try to stick to W30 as much as possible at home so when I eat out it doesn't concern me all that much. Congrats on finishing your W30!

Archived