From Day 5 to Day 1

yescrystal

Okay so I read ISWF, loved it, my mind was blown, and decided to begin the Whole30 October 1. Day 1 was great, easy, no problems. Days 2 and 3 I was super tired, irritatable, and just not happy. Days 4 and 5 (today), I also felt great (aside from some digestive issues, which I assume/hope will go away after a week or two).

Wellll. My usual Friday night consists of wine, tv, reading, and chocolate. Clearly the wine and chocolate are out of the question. Except that a coworker bought me a Starbucks cake pop today which I'm sure I subconsciously forgot to throw away after I arrived home, because after a delicious dinner I fell into the "wo is me" mentality because I can't have wine and dove right into the cake pop.

Fail.

I don't feel that bad about it, but I feel like I progressing so well and now tomorrow I will be starting over. I have at least learned that I need to manage situations like the cake pop today better in the future instead of keeping something because I feel bad about declining. After all, I shouldn't care about what others think about what I do or don't eat; it's about my health, not their feelings, right?

Anyways. Tomorrow is a new day, and I am even more motivated than before to get through any obstacles that may come up. I bought the book for my mom who is in a different state than I (I'm in Cali, she is in Texas) and she is going to try to do it with me after she reads ISWF. That should help keep me going also.

So here's to a second attempt (which I WILL get through) and to October 6! IT"S ON.

I did a Whole 30 in September and had to start over on Day 5 too! We went out to eat for my husband's birthday and I was so careful about what I ordered, but since it was a celebration I ordered a chicken liver pate appetizer. I don't drink, so I had just kind of brushed over the "no alcohol" rule, since I didn't think it applied to me. Well, the pate was made with cognac! Once I realized what I had done I went ahead and had some of the (delicious) gourmet toast/crackers that came with the pate, enjoyed the rest of my dinner, and started over the next day and made it the Whole 30 after that. So, don't beat yourself up, just Whole 30 on!

That's okay! You are learning about various situations and how you react. This is all valuable information that will help you to make good choices in the future. Congrats on 5 days of good eating. That is WAY better than 5 days of eating garbage. Best wishes!!! :D

I am on day 6 and I had a similar thing happen yesterday when the sweetie poured me a glass of really good red wine with our chicken and squash dinner. I sipped it slowly and enjoyed it. Normally I would have poured myself a second glass or at least half and then probably would have been driven to snack on something overly-processed, but I stopped. So even though not strictly Whole30 I felt I totally won! My attitude towards food is changing which was one of my main objectives.

My challenge now is heading into my first weekend on this plan, hoping I can stay strong and stick with it without the structure my workday provides.

Keep with it!

I think even though we have set backs during the program (which of course is not ideal)...it is still so important what we learn from the set back...not letting one little slip totally derail you where in the past it might have sent you spiraling out of control...pick up, move on and learn from the process! After all...IT IS A PROCESS!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

What appeals to me so much about this way of eating is that it really is a process, a learning experience, a life improvement. It definitely helps knowing this when I "fail" the Whole 30 because you can't fail something that you are continually working on. :)

By the way, BEST LUNCH SO FAR TODAY. Not even missing my usual ChicFilA or WhichWich.

Archived