Third Times a Charm - July 1

pkoyster

Struggles I am facing this month:

• July 2nd is a July 4th celebration with friends and family. I plan to bring my own compliant food that I can eat. (excited to see they made a post about this).
  • I live in the state of Washington and cherries are free for the pickin' and I love to bake pies. We have so so many cherries and have only had one pie. 

Hopefully I will only have two struggles this month. A girl can dream.

Lessons learned from 1st Whole30 (16 Days, maybe 17)

• a food processor is a must (I bought one recently)
  • one Jimmy John's Unwhich will be the death knell of my Whole30

Lesson learned from 2nd Whole30 attempt (2 Days - don't judge me - see third bullet)

• plan plan plan 
  • prep prep prep
  • don't get arrogant

Plan and Prep for tomorrow

Okay so maybe I didn't learn those lessons so well. I was going to make spaghetti tonight for the family with sauce that was Whole30 compliant... I didn't have all the ingredients.

So we ate all the bad leftovers instead and the fridge is leftover free! Which is good.

Breakfast: Sausage patties and hash with fried eggs.

Lunch: Hamburger with salad

Dinner: TBD

I started my first Whole30 last year on July 1. Over the next two months I restarted and quit maybe six times, making it as far as meal two on day 15. My last attempt was January 1. I started today and really believe I will complete the Whole30 this time. I say this to enocourage you to not be hard on yourself about attempts that weren't completed. Even though I hadn't finished a Whole30, just having the experience I did (a total of 31 compliant days, lol), changed the way I ate. I stopped eating frozen dinners and canned soup everyday and switched to pre-prepped whole food meals. Now to see how the next 30 days goes. Hope it goes well with you!

I started my first Whole30 last year on July 1. Over the next two months I restarted and quit maybe six times, making it as far as meal two on day 15. My last attempt was January 1. I started today and really believe I will complete the Whole30 this time. I say this to enocourage you to not be hard on yourself about attempts that weren't completed. Even though I hadn't finished a Whole30, just having the experience I did (a total of 31 compliant days, lol), changed the way I ate. I stopped eating frozen dinners and canned soup everyday and switched to pre-prepped whole food meals. Now to see how the next 30 days goes. Hope it goes well with you!

You are right! I too have noticed that I am more aware of making healthier food choices since starting on this journey than I was before my Whole30s. 

I took my 1 year old son to the nutrapathic doctor today for a dry patch on his scalp where he is losing his hair. She immediately knew that he had food allergies and took him off dairy and wheat and any processed foods (added fish oil supplements). He had a healthy diet before but he did eat cheese and wheat. So my son is now on Whole30er with me (he can have beans, and other whole grains). Maybe this will help me stay true to Whole30 after July.

Day 7

My energy levels are up from day 2 and 3 but only slightly surpassing my pre-Whole30 energy levels.

My cranky levels are back down - day 3 and 4 I was a terror.

My favorite thing about today is how righteous I feel! I haven't had anything "bad" for me in 7 days and it feels great. My self image has sky rocketed. I used to love to eat and drink junk but I would feel guilty about it and then I would feel bad about feeling guilty and then I would get depressed because food had such a hold on all my emotions. Now I feel free. I feel ... good.

Worksheet

I find myself craving bread, sugar, and sweets when: I see it.

Sometimes I think I am hungry but I am just: thirsty, bored, tired.

When I am craving sugar I used to eat: cherry coke and peanut butter m&m's, slices of white bread, cinnamon toast.

During Whole30 I am going to reach for sausage patty instead.

When I eat sweet food like fruit or berries I notice that those feelings of guilt and remorse hit me again.

I thought I would miss eating chips with cheese dip, peanut butter m&m's, and coke but I don't miss them at all.

I thought I would get tired of eggs for breakfast every morning but so far I don't mind it at all.

I have the hardest time sticking to Whole30 when I am feeling tired.

I have the hardest time sticking to Whole30 when I am at a social gathering with friends where we all bring a dish (is it rude just to eat my dish)?

When I eat a good breakfast I feel accomplished and motivated to continue eating healthy that day.

When I prepare a healthy meal from scratch I feel righteous.

Since I started Whole30 I've noticed:

• that my gym workouts are much stronger - i can go a bit further, lift a bit more, and I sweat a lot more
  • that my sleep is restful once I fall asleep, I still wake up groggy though
  • that my energy levels are a little higher, I no longer take a nap with my son in the afternoon - but I am not hyperactive during that time either
  • that my emotions are much more steady and calm, stress is much lower.
  • that my recovery after exercise is great! I am not as sore even though I am doing more.
  • that my body feels healthy and happy and pure.
  • that my clothes lay nicer over my body.
  • that my skin is really clear.

I love your worksheet. Maybe I can borrow it and post my own responses on my log? I'll surely link to your log for the credit. :)

Your worksheet is great and thank you for sharing.  You are such an inspiration and congrats on having such a positive mindset.

Oh don't credit me I stole it from the newsletter (I didn't get it my first W30 and after two fails I decided I needed a daily reminder). I guess I should have stated that... I didn't think people actually read these.

Day 9

Yesterday in the newsletter it talked about visualizing your success. According to the newsletter your brain does not know the difference from visualizing something and actually doing it. Changing how you think can actually change your success rate. One exercise they suggested was to visualize what you want to achieve during this Whole30 each morning and night and during each temptation.

What do I want to achieve?

I will achieve happiness.

I will achieve a calm and collective disposition even under stressful situations.

I will achieve self confidence because I will know that I can do hard things and I can do them well.

I will achieve self confidence because I will be happy with who I am.

I will achieve freedom from cravings that used to control me and cause guilt and self loathing.

I will achieve a desire to do more to better my life.

I will achieve brighter eyes and clear skin.

I will achieve a body that does not need my judgement.

I will achieve boundless energy to take on the day with triumph. I will be able to take care of the baby, puppy, quadriplegic, house, meals, shopping, cleaning, laundry, workout, and still have the energy and desire to do fun things with my husband in the evening.

I will achieve a healthier marriage as my self-confidence, happiness, and energy will lead to a less grouchy and more forgiving attitude.

I will achieve deep restorative sleep. I will wake up in the mornings ready to get the day started.

I will have clear beautiful skin. I will be able to leave the house without make-up and without fear of scaring little children for life.

Add other senses to make the visualization stronger

Smell: I will still continue to smell good meals being prepared throughout the day.

Sound: I will hear my family happily eating their Whole30 meal for dinner.

Sight: I will see a happier person in the mirror. I will see my clothes hanging on my body properly.

Emotion: I will feel less overwhelmed and more excited for the possibilities of the day, month, year, next Whole30. 

Taste: I will taste sweetness in natural fruits and berries without guilt. I will taste savory and satiety with more satisfaction than even my favorite foods before W30.

Touch: I will lift my son with ease. I will touch my husband with love.

Archived