Day 5...sugar, sugar everywhere!

Leomama

I had NO idea that sugar is in everything! Everything! I thought I was a good label reader...no trans fats, no GMOs, no high fructose corn syrup, blah blah blah. I guess I was lax on sugar in all its crazy forms.

I'm starting to think more about what I want food to do for my body and how to make my food taste better so that I'm not just eating to survive, but eating to thrive.

Since I feel like I've been in survival mode this first week, I'm prepping to hit the thrive throttle and cruise the site for some good recipes. One can only eat so many egg whites, salads, and chicken (my auto-pilot foods).

Day 5 and things are looking up!

Yes, I had NO idea how many things had sugar in them. I too used to breeze right over that word before I did my first Whole 30. :) Yes, get cooking...you don't want to get bored and there are SO many great recipes floating around.

It really is eye opening when you start reading labels, isn't it? Crazy that things you would NEVER think should have sugar will have corn syrup as it's second or third ingredient. I never thought I would have to look that closely at labels for things like pasta sauce...really? Sugar in pasta sauce??? Crazy.

It really is eye opening when you start reading labels, isn't it? Crazy that things you would NEVER think should have sugar will have corn syrup as it's second or third ingredient. I never thought I would have to look that closely at labels for things like pasta sauce...really? Sugar in pasta sauce??? Crazy.

Rao's Original Marinara sauce is totally compliant and totally delicious. :) I buy it at Whole Foods.

• Moderators

Sugar is a cheap way to make lower grade foods taste better. I started to figure that out when I noticed cheap clams at my local store included sugar, but the more expensive ones were just clams, juice, and salt.

Archived