Leah's First Whole 30 Food Log

LeahF

See my hello post here: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/37680-newbie-starting-today/

*Please note I have ulcerative colitis

Day 1 Food Log

M1: 2 scrambled eggs, sweet potato, mushrooms, guac

M2: Cruferious Crunch (Trader Joe's) with tuna, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, bell pepper, shredded carrots dressed with olive oil and apple cider vinegar

Snack: Banana with almonds

M3: Grilled salmon (seasoned with Mrs. Dash) topped with guac and tomatoes and brussel sprouts

I was doing fine till dinner and I think I can say with some certainty that brussel sprouts do not agree with my gut. I spent the rest of the night going to the bathroom every five minutes. They were still on the crunchy side so perhaps if they were cooked more throughly? Not sure I want to even test it out after the night I had. 

The science experiment continues! 

Day 2

M1: 2 scrambled eegs with sweet potato ribbons, mushrooms, guacamole with black coffee

M2: Cruferious Crunch (brussel, kale, cabbage slaw) with tuna, sunflower seeds, chia, shredded carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, dressing (apple cider vinegar, olive oil) Added a little grapefruit

Snack: banana

M3: Bison burger with avocado, tomato, mashed potatoes, broccolini with kombucha

Had a couple of painful movements today before breakfast and after dinner. Could be leftover from the other night? I did miss a few days of maintenance medication so maybe that is the cause? Coffee? The kombucha? 

Day 4 & 5 was our first Whole 30 weekend. We love to eat out and indulge on the weekends so I knew this would be challenging for us. We surprised ourselves though and stay committed even when plans went awry and we were starving. We figured it out and stuck to the plan. Having my husband on board for this is so helpful. He is great in the kitchen and when there are moments of weakness we can lean on one another for support. 

Luckily, we hadn't really experience any of the negative symptoms described in the timeline. I think my husband starting feeling the tired crankiness on day 5 and day 4 I needed and took a nap (it was glorious). I've been less tired in the evenings which is unusually for me. 

So far I'm really pleased with how I'm feeling and really feel like this could be a lifestyle change for us. The only exercise I've been doing is walking the dog so my goal for the upcoming week is to get back to a more normal routine of daily workouts. 

DAY 3 

2 scrambled eggs with sweet potatoes ribbons, mushrooms and a dollop of guac, Black coffee  Bison Burger with cruferious crunch and sweet potato topped with guac Banana (2pm) Apple (4pm) Grilled chicken stuffed red pepper with tomato avocado and zucchini

DAY 4

Scrambled eggs with sweet potato ribbons, chicken apple sausage and avocado, black coffee  strawberries with kombucha (coconut pineapple water while out shopping) Apple, shared kombucha Filet Mignon with mashed potatoes, avocado, grilled pineapple slice (snacked on carrots while making dinner)

DAY 5

Scrambled eggs with leftover potatoes, chicken apple sausage and avocado  Picnic: Salad from Gelson's with Tessame's green goddess dressing, cantaloupe withe prosciutto, guava kombucha  Chicken Jerky Salmon with avocado and tomato, shared kombucha (couple pcs of jerky and cantaloupe before dinner)

Hey! Nice job sticking to it over the weekend!  It was SO hard for us too!  Like you the weekend is when we love to eat out so that was hard, but we managed.  We still haven't really seen too many negative symptoms either.  There have been a few instances where we haven't had enough at one meal and then feel our energy levels drop a few hours later, but we're learning how to manage that better.  It didn't help that we were doing house renovation work this weekend too so I'm sure we were burning some calories.  

Keep up the good work!  And thanks for the encouragement!  It's nice to hear from someone who is going through this at the same time and comparing meals/results/etc.  

Day 6! 

M1: Sweet potato egg quiche with kale and chicken apple sausage, guac and black coffee

M2: Tuna salad with peppers, shredded carrots, cruciferous crunch, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, Tessamae Green Goddess dressing, with cantalope

PMWO - Aerial yoga

M3: carne asada, mashed potatoes, tomato and avocado and grilled pineapple slice with kombucha

And one week done! Day 7. 

I'll admit in the evening my emotions got the best of me. Something got under my skin and I was having a tough time letting it go. This was shocking since I had been feeling so great all week. Hangry emotional outbursts are not new to me and last night my husband put me in a bit of a time out while he whipped up dinner. Pretty thankful for him and all the help he has been this past week supporting us and spending time in the kitchen cooking and doing dishes. I can't imagine having to do this alone. Once I had my quiet time and dinner I felt loads better. 

M1: sweet potato egg quiche with kale and chicken apple sausage, guac and black coffee

M2: hamburger on top of cruciferous crunch, sweet potato ribbons, tomatoes, guac

M3: hamburger topped with two fried eggs, tomato, avocado and gilled zucchini

Feeling proud for completing 7 days. It's not so hard when you make a point to eat yummy food.  

Day 8 and my first test of going out to eat and being social with friends. It was a little tough watching everyone drink (including my husband) and eat french fries, calamari, and a chicken & waffle sandwich that smelled like sugar heaven. I remained strong sipping on my water and did my absolute best in ordering compliant food. My friends work at the restaurant so I only felt mildly weird asking so many questions and know they wouldn't steer me wrong on purpose. The food we ordered was so good that I'm fearful it was non-compliant in some way. 

M1: egg sweet potato quiche with chicken apple sausage and guac, black coffee

M2: egg scramble with sweet potato ribbons, spinach, chicken apple sausage, guac

Snack: few pcs of chicken jerky and kombucha

M3: Dinner at Hinterland (all split with my husband) - roasted cauliflower, greek salad (hold the chickpeas, feta, hummus), stripped seabass with spicy agua chili puree, and cucumber mango salsa. 

Getting to eat out was heavenly. Learning to be social and not have a glass of wine in my hand is tough especially, but I feel better for it this morning. Since I was out late I didn't have time/too tired to make food for Day 9 to take to work. Luckily that quiche has been enough for five days so I have that for breakfast and I packed my Tessamae's dressing so I'm going to go to a salad bar up the street for lunch.

Day 9 - woke up naturally at 6:30am but went back to sleep since my alarm isn't set till 7am. Hit snooze at 7am and officially got out of bed at 7:10am feeling very groggy. I probably should have gotten up at 6:30 when I naturally woke up or did I accidentally eat some non-compliant and my body was reacting? I'm hoping it's the former. My energy was down most of the day. Maybe I finally have gone thru all that stored sugar energy and my body is wondering what's up? Took a spin class after work that left me feeling awesome and totally back on track!

M1: egg sweet potato quiche with chicken apple sausage and guac, black coffee

M2: Mrs. Winston's salad bar - this place is expensive but a Whole 30 dream come true as everything is labeled clearly (steamed naked beets?! Yes!)

Snack: Larabar before Spin

M3: Our first Sun Basket  (paleo friendly meal delivery service like Blue Apron)- salmon lemongrass coconut curry with squash and red peppers (so good and incredibly filling!). I did need to use the bathroom after dinner so maybe coconut milk doesn't agree with me. 

Ok, second Whole30 weekend coming up! Hope everyone has a good one! 

O my gosh, Sun Basket looks awesome!!! I may need to give that a try! 

I noticed it was easier to get out of bed this morning too so maybe that's just the stage we're in.  Good luck this weekend!  

Yea! We really like it so far. I have another batch coming this week.... it's a little pricey but I think this link gets you three free??? sunbasket.com/3free/Leah127281

Check it out! :) 

Day 10

M1: Egg sweet potato quiche with avocado, black coffee

M2: Salad from Mrs Winston's dressed in olive oil, cantaloupe

PMWO: Aerial Yoga

M3: Sun Basket Dinner - Steak with pesto sauce, cucumber radish avocado salad, two grilled pineapple slices, kombucha

Day 11

M1: 3 scrambled eggs with chicken apple sausage & mushrooms

AMWO #1 - Surfset @ Sandbox Fitness

AMWO #2 - Crazy 20 minute HITT

Snack: fruit juice with small fruit cup

M2: Veggie Grill - was disappointed the grill everything in rice bran oil so I ordered a small simple salad dressed with red wine vinegar. I saw later that I could have gone ahead and still ordered since I was out to eat. 

Snack: Larabar

M3: Sun Basket Meal - pork chop  with half baked potato, nectarine radish watercress avocado salad

Late night snack while out at a concert: almonds, steamed lobster 

Day 12

M1: Found a compliant brunch spot in Santa Monica!!! M Street Kitchen cooks their eggs & potatoes in clarified butter and they were able to confirm their turkey meat didn't have added sugar. Was so thankful that our sweet server didn't make me feel strange for my questions. Had a delicious egg white omelette with shaved turkey, avocado & tomatoes, fruit, hash browns, black coffee 

M2:  none, so full from breakfast

Snack: dried mango

M3: Salmon with broccolini, half baked potato, guac, kombucha

Day 13

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, black coffee

M2: hamburger with sweet potato ribbons, tomatoes, guac, strawberries

PMWO: Total body HITT

M3: filet mignon with pesto sauce, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, kombucha 

Day 14!!!!! Yes, made it two weeks! 

Definitely feeling good and can tell I'm experiencing some weight loss and the bloat I was carrying around has gone away. Energy and sleep is good. Following the guidelines has started to feel more natural though I do miss convenience and going out to eat is a pain in the butt as was displayed tonight. We went to a fish restaurant which I was sure would be a win. First they cook everything in vegetable oil. Fine, can deal with that since we are out to eat. Hubby and I share plain grilled seabass with a side of vegetables and a side of brussel sprouts.  Fish was so plain. Veggies were good. Ultimately, not worth what we paid and could have had a much more flavorful and filling dinner at home. This was my second time eating brussel sprouts since starting Whole30 and I had a very similar reaction as the first. I think I can say with certainty my stomach can't handle them. Such a shame because I love them, but definitely not worth the pain they cause later. 

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, black coffee

M2: grilled chicken with sweet potato ribbons, tomatoes, guac, strawberries

Snack: banana and later some dried mango since dinner was on the late side

M3: grilled fish with veggies and brussel sprouts 

Really proud of getting to this halfway point!!! 

Officially halfway thru this thing!!!!

I discovered a very disappointing thing yesterday....the Tessamae's dressing I had been using has soy. It is one of two non-compliant flavors by them. :( :( :( Now, I know this would be grounds for restarting, but it was an innocent mistake on my part and a lesson in always reading those labels! It's not like I fell face first into a tray of cupcakes and I was not using the dressing daily. So I'm not restarting, but will be extra mindful. I'm already considering taking this past the 30 days anyway depending on how I feel the next two weeks. 

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, black coffee, strawberries

M2: salad from Mrs. Winston's

M3: Sunbasket Dinner - salmon with cauliflower, jicama/avocado/orange salad, kombucha

Had my first real "cheat" dream the other night. I was inhaling pizza muffins. Funny thing was there was also pizza in the room so I thought I was making a good choice by having the pizza muffins. After about six of them I had realized what I had done and was so disappointed. And then I realized it was all a dream! 

Oh no!  I can't imagine how frustrated that must have made you feel!  But like you said, honest mistake, and you're still seeing good results so that's a good thing!  I've definitely had a few instances where I've just assumed things were ok, ate them, then later realized I never actually looked and panicked a bit.  Thankfully I've been ok so far, but it's easy to do!  

Day 16 - my colitis has been in flare up mode ever since I ate those brussel sprouts and it has me feeling discouraged. And I've been feeling strangely lethargic, not really wanting to work out. Sometimes I feel like I've been doing Whole30 forever! I think if I could get back into a more consistent workout routine I might feel better. I want the tiger blood!

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, black coffee

M2: grilled chicken with steamed veggies, sweet potato ribbons, tomatoes, guac

M3: Sun Basket Dinner - Grilled chicken with cilantro/garlic/almond salsa and cantaloupe/avocado/cucumber salad

Day 17

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, black coffee

M2: grilled chicken with steamed veggies, sweet potato ribbons, tomatoes, guac

Snack: banana, 1 pc dried mango, almonds

M3: Sun Basket - steak, potatoes, peppers, avocado, kombucha

Day 18

M1: egg white omelette with shaved turkey, tomato/avocado, hash browns, fruit

M2: dried fruit, decaf coffee, kombucha

M3: Salmon, potatoes, avocado/tomatoes, mushrooms

Tried acupuncture for the first time. My husband set up the appointment for me as he read it helps with UC and inflammation. The appointment was good...not pain beside a couple of pinches. It was strangely relaxing and I felt very zen. However, I think I ruined it by having that coffee and later a kombucha. I think I have to face facts that those two things are two acidic for my stomach to handle. I feel like I've been paying for it ever since. Making this whole thing feel like it's for nothing. I'm not feeling better. Sometimes I feel worse! I don't blame the Whole30 for that but something is going on in my insides and it's having trouble resetting. It's very discouraging. I'm not sure if I need to take a round of predisone to try and snap me out of it or just keep pushing thru and go longer then the 30 days till my body catches up. 

Day 19:

M1: scrambled eggs with chicken apple sausage, sweet potato ribbons, guac

Traded in my coffee for hot water with lemon and that seemed to settle my stomach a bit. Also did a hour of yoga and that also seemed to help balance me out. 

M2: dried fruit, 1/2 lara bar (I ate breakfast so late that I was that hungry)

M3: grilled chicken salad dress with olive oil and apple cider vinegar

My stomach started acting up again after dinner. Sigh. When will it end? 

I feel like we are in the home stretch but I also know my work is still cut out for me. 

Day 20

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, hot water with lemon

M2: grilled chicken with sweet potato ribbons, guac

PMWO: Arms + Booty

M3: salmon with potatoes, avocado, zucchini 

It was day 2 of no coffee and I ended up with a big headache....when I got home I took an hour nap then popped a couple advil and did some yoga. All that seemed to do the trick. 

Day 21 

3 weeks complete! I wish I was feeling better - I know it's not a cause of the Whole30. I just have some messed up guts. But I'm still plugging at it and trying to find my way. Day 3 of no coffee went much better - no headache. 

M1:  egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, hot water with lemon

M2: hamburger patty, sweet potato ribbons, guac

Snack: banana, dried apples

M3: small salmon salad dressed in olive oil and lemon juice, side of avocado

Dessert: cantaloupe (this seemed to upset my stomach and I've noticed that before with cantaloupe and watermelon...maybe I just can't handle melon) 

Day 22

I'm already psyching myself up to take this beyond the 30 days to a Whole45. I'm hoping an extra couple of weeks will give my gut a chance to get back onboard so I can do a proper reintroduction. Also looking into going low FODMAP. 

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta with guac, hot water with lemon

M2: Salad from Mrs. Winston's - tomatoes, beets, carrots, cucumbers, turkey, avocado, hard boiled egg, grapes dressed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

M3: Sunbasket Dinner - grilled chicken with a Mediterranean salsa, grilled romaine, avocado

Dessert: 2 pineapple spears

Day 23

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta, hot water with lemon

M2: Salad from Mrs. Winston's - tomatoes, beets, carrots, cucumbers, chicken, avocado, hard boiled egg, grapes dressed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Snack: few pcs of dried apple, banana

PMWO: Incredible hot pilates sculpt class

M3: My first chipotle! I actually thought I'd rely more on this option but I'm glad I haven't. It honestly didn't taste that great, but is good for a bind.

Carnitas over salad, pico de gallo, guac, cauliflower rice 

Day 24

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta, hot water with lemon

M2: Salad from Mrs. Winston's - tomatoes, beets, carrots, cucumbers, chicken, avocado, hard boiled egg, grapes dressed in olive oil and apple cider vinegar

Snack: Banana (also snacked on some dried mango while making dinner)

M3: Sun Basket - Salmon with tomatillo avocado salsa & jicama

Day 25

Pre workout banana

AMWO AirFit

M1: egg white omelette with turkey, avocado, tomato and hash browns

M2: dried mango (officially taking dried fruit out of my diet for now. I probably over did it but this dried mango wrecked me for the rest of the day)

M3: Sun Basket Dinner - steak salad with potatoes

Day 26

AMWO: Yoga plus 3 mile walk

M1: scrambled eggs with chicken apple sausage, sweet potato ribbons, avocado

M2: plantain chips and strawberries

PMWO: beach volleyball

M2: filet mignon, baked potato, avocado/tomato, zucchini   

Kinda crazy that these are the last days....even though I'm considering to take it further. 

Day 27

Woke up not feeling well at all today....slept in as late as I could. Luckily it didn't last the whole day. 

M1: M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta, guac, hot water with lemon

M2: Hamburger patty with steamed veggies, guac, salsa verde, strawberries

PMWO: yoga

M3: salmon with avocado/tomato, squash, cauliflower rice 

Thinking the cauliflower rice did not agree with me so it's a tentative marking on the list of things to avoid. 

Archived