Leah's First Whole 30 Food Log

LeahF

Day 28

AMWO: yoga

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta, guac, hot water with lemon

M2: salmon, cauliflower rice, guac, squash

Snack: banana

PMWO: HITT workout

M3: salmon, cauliflower, jicama orange salad

Day 29

M1: egg, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato fritatta, guac, hot water with lemon

M2: grilled chicken, potatoes, jicama/orange salad, guac

PMWO: yoga

M3: cod, cabbage, potatoes, guac

A little late in posting my Day 30....and I'm actually now on Day 34 since I decided to take it to a Whole45. 

Day 30

M1: sweet potato egg quiche with chicken Apple sausage, guac, salsa verde
M2: grilled chicken, sweet potato ribbons, squash, salsa verde
Snack: banana with almond butter
PMWO: HITT (watermelon juice post workout)
M3: 2 Applegate hot dogs, a few sweet potato ribbons, salsa verde 

The past 30 days wasn't always easy. While my skin does seem clearer and I'm sure I've shed a few pounds I still need to sort my insides. Hoping another two weeks will do the trick. I'll admit I'm feeling a bit anxious. How can I possibly go another 2 weeks!? It almost seems harder then doing the initial 30 days! 

Day 31

This day was probably the most challenging day I've experienced all month. The psychology of technically "being done" combined with throwing my work bestie a shower complete with popcorn bar & cake pops and then going out in the evening with friends had my cravings all kicked up. But I stayed strong, connected to the community and moved forward. 
M1: sweet potato egg quiche with chicken Apple sausage, salsa verde
M2: 2 Applegate hot dogs, sweet potato ribbons, tomatoes, guac
Snack: strawberries
M3: Sun Basket Dinner - chicken with cauliflower & we added potatoes (cauliflower is officially on the list of things I won't be eating anymore)

Day 32

M1: egg white omlette with shaved turkey, avocado/tomato, hash browns
M2: strawberries

Snack: Gut Shot from Farmhouse Cultures and flaxseed crackers topped with fermented veggies (trying to get more probiotics into my system)
M3: salmon, potatoes, avocado/tomatoes, zucchini 

Day 33

M1: sweet potato egg quiche with chicken Apple sausage, salsa verde

Went to a baby shower and had fruit and roasted potatoes

M2: two applegate hot dogs with sweet potato ribbons and salsa verde

M3: Dinner at The Counter - steak salad with avocado, hard boiled egg, carrots, cucumbers, pineapple, grilled red onions, lemon vinaigrette dressing 

I was disappointed that The Counter uses canola oil to cook with but since I had managed to avoid canola oil for 30 days and I was out to eat I went for it. Surprisingly, I didn't have a reaction like I do most nights after dinner. Success! 

Day 34

M1: Two applegate hot dogs with spaghetti squash, guac, salsa verde (this was my first non egg breakfast for Whole30!) 

M2: Mrs. Winston's Salad with chicken, carrots, cucumbers, grapes, hard boiled egg, avocado, golden beets dressed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

M3: Z Garden skewer combo over salad. They cook with a olive oil/canola combo....I didn't ask about the house dressing, but besides a little bloating which I seem to get at every meal no serious reactions.

Day 35

AMWO: Yoga

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato ribbons, salsa verde, guac

M2: hamburger patty, spaghetti squash, guac, salsa verde, tomatoes

PMWO: Pilates cardio

M3: filet mignon, baked potato with ghee, avocado/tomatoes

Day 36

AMWO: Yoga

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato ribbons, guac, chicken apple sausage

M2: spaghetti squash, crockpot chicken , guac, tomatoes 

PMWO: Mega Reformer Pilates class

M3: salmon, potatoes, avocado/tomatoes, zuchinni

Day 37

M1: three scrambled eggs, crockpot chicken, sweet potato ribbons, guac

M2: spaghetti squash, crockpot chicken, avocado, tomatoes (1/2 portion)

Snack: banana and strawberries

M3: ground turkey with homemade taco seasoning, sweet potatoes, avocado/tomatoes

I felt terrible today. So bloated that I didn't even want to eat because it felt like there was no room to put anything. I went to the gym and that seemed to work some of the bloat out but then I had my half portion of lunch and the bloating came back. Maybe the chicken? My husband made it with a compliant salsa verde and onions. I see onion are high FODMAP so maybe that's it? And I had it twice in one day......I might test it out on it's own for a meal. Also see avocados listed as high FODMAP and I eat a ton of those so maybe it's time to ease off - though they are my biggest source of healthy fat so not sure what to do about that. :( Feeling extremely defeated. It feels like nothing is changing or getting better and that I'm wasting my time. I chose to go the 45 days because I felt like I needed the extra time to help heal my gut, but really I see no changes. Not even sure how reintro is going to work. Ugh. I will keep plugging at it since I've come this far but all I really want is a glass of wine and a bar of dark chocolate.

:( Sorry to hear that you're still not feeling any better!  That really stinks!  Have you tried posting any of this on the Troubleshooting part of the forums?  I know when I was having energy issues the moderators there were able to help me out.  They don't monitor the personal food log forums so maybe try posting your questions/experiences over there and linking to your log so they can see what you're eating.  I hope you are able to figure it out!  

Day 38

AMWO: yoga

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato ribbons, leftover  ground turkey, guac

M2: crockpot chicken, spaghetti squash, strawberries

PMWO: abs + arms

M3: Dinner out at Green Leaf Chop Shop. I'll admit I didn't ask a lot of questions. Made sure there wasn't dairy in the sauce, but didn't ask them about cooking oils or sugar. Had a huge headache the next morning so maybe sugar sneaked in? Or could have just had a headache...that happens sometimes when I workout hard. 

Dinner was salmon, roasted veggies, beet/carrot puree + shrimp skewers. There was a romesco sauce as well which may be the culprit. 

Day 39

AMWO: Ballet Burn

Post WO Snack: banana

M1: egg white omlette with shaved turkey, avocado/tomatoes, hash browns

M2: strawberries and banana chips

M3: Poke bowls inspired by this recipe:

http://www.thewholesmiths.com/2016/08/09/hawaiian-poke/

This was one of my favorite meals we've had! I added in some of my own flavor with crush macadamia nuts, carrot ribbons, and mango. So good! 

That down in the dumps feeling has gone away some....maybe because the end finally feels in reach with 45 days being on Friday. And while I haven't been feeling perfect I do feel ok. I know I have a lot working against me so I just need to keep pushing forward and finding what works. 

Day 40

AMWO: 30 minute spin + 30 minute yoga session

M1: Sweet potato egg chicken apple sausage quiche with avocado, blueberries

M2: spaghetti squash, crockpot chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, avocado, blueberries

Snack: banana chips & banana

M3: spaghetti squash, crockpot chicken, zucchini, organic tomato sauce, avocado (this felt like eating pasta  and it was heavenly)

Home stretch! 

You're getting so close!  We've also been loving spaghetti squash for it's noodle-like texture!  Our reintro has been going pretty well so far.  Grains and beans went just fine.  Dairy went surprisingly well as I thought for sure it'd mess with me big time (I had dairy issues as a kid), but really the only effect it had on me (and Eric too) was that after a month of beautifully clear skin I almost immediately started breaking out after eating cheese and ice cream.  Gluten day is tomorrow and it's the one I'm most concerned with.  Honestly, everything we've reintroduced so far has been a little underwhelming.  I was really excited about finally eating a few things (Ice Cream!) but once I had it I realized it wasn't really worth it.  Knowing that is definitely making it easier to keep eating this way!   

I appreciate you keeping in touch with me even though you are well into your reintro. :) I'm glad to hear that you haven't had too many problems. Clearer skin was probably my biggest NSV I've noticed so I'll be interested to see what causes my imbalance (I suspect sugar). I've been making a reintroduction schedule and planning everything I want to eat. Some of the stuff has too many of the groups in one so those will have to wait. Strangely, I'm looking forward to some overnight oats, milk in my tea, greek yogurt....and icecream! Oh, and wine. :) My first reintro is going to be wine since we have a birthday party to go to. I'm hoping that I will feel similar in that things I didn't miss or no longer really enjoy I'll just go without and those things that I do really enjoy I can eat more moderately. My husband stopped after 30 days and didn't do an officially reintro. He hasn't been throwing it my face but a couple of nights he had chocolate and omigod the smell. It was heavenly. But I know I have to learn and be ok with not eating the same things that he is eating. I have to take care of me. 

Ok, that was a lot! Hope you have a great week! 

Day 41

AMWO: Kettle booty

M1: Sweet potato egg chicken apple sausage quiche with avocado

M2: spaghetti squash, chicken apples sausage, organic marinara, zucchini 

PMWO: Pilates booty

M3: filet mignon, baked potato with ghee, avocado/tomatoes

Day 42

M1:  Sweet potato egg chicken apple sausage quiche with guac

M2: sweet potato ribbons, hamburger patty, tomatoes, guac, strawberries (this ended up not being enough food - I was starving later even after having a snack. Will add in veggies next time)

PMWO: Arms + Pilates Cardio

M3: salmon, sweet potatoes, broccolini, avocado/tomato

Ummmm obsessed with sweet potato much?!

And a little TMI - BMs are starting too look better. Not great but definitely better then what I've experienced over the past month. I think if we weren't going on one of those once in a lifetime vacations (Italy!!!) then I would maybe continue on. BUT, I need to get those reintroductions in before we go so I can enjoy myself but be cautious on our trip. 

Day 43

M2: sweet potato ribbons, hamburger patty, tomatoes, guac, veggies (broccoli & carrots)

M3: spaghetti squash, chicken apple sausage, organic marinara

PMWO: yoga

Day 44

M2: Mrs Winston's Salad (mango, grapes, golden beets, chicken, hard boiled egg, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber) dressed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

M3: ground turkey with homemade taco seasoning, pineapple, avocado/tomato wrapped in lettuce

Day 45!!!!!

This is it! The day I've been working toward! 

M1: sweet potato egg chicken Apple sausage quiche, guac

M2: leftover ground turkey, spaghetti squash, veggies, guac

snack: strawberries

M3: poke bowl

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hi!  I'm a peds RN and just had a kiddo yesterday hospitalized for a UC flare.  He was diagnosed a year ago... improved a lot and then last month took a nosedive.  MD is basically telling him that a colostomy is the only hope at this time.  Of course our docs have not even mentioned a diet intervention.  I was just wondering if you've seen a real difference in your UC since doing W30.  What did you eat like before?  Were you paleo and this was a tune up or were you eating a SAD so this was a big change?  Thanks!

YAY!! You made it! Congrats!  And OMG Italy! How awesome! I totally don't blame you at all for wanting to eat all-the-things on that trip!  We finished our reintros last week and both of us found that while gluten doesn't necessarily make us sick, it doesn't really make us feel good.  I felt mild pangs for what felt like the entire time it was digesting.  Eric felt similarly.  I think we'll probably avoid it unless it's a special occasion.  Also, I had a glass of white wine this past weekend and it made my sinuses go crazy (though it's done that before so not a huge surprise).  

Can't wait to hear how your reintro goes!

On 8/21/2016 at 10:28 AM, littleg said:

Hi!  I'm a peds RN and just had a kiddo yesterday hospitalized for a UC flare.  He was diagnosed a year ago... improved a lot and then last month took a nosedive.  MD is basically telling him that a colostomy is the only hope at this time.  Of course our docs have not even mentioned a diet intervention.  I was just wondering if you've seen a real difference in your UC since doing W30.  What did you eat like before?  Were you paleo and this was a tune up or were you eating a SAD so this was a big change?  Thanks!

Hi Littleleg, I'm so sorry to hear about your little one. I can't even imagine having to deal with this as a child. I was diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago....the doctors prescribed medication (Lilada) which I take daily and then predisone when I was having occassional flare ups. This worked mostly till I too went to the hospital after a particularly bad time and had become extremely dehydrated. You think that would have been my wake up call but I mostly continued eating how I wanted to eat.

I had heard about Whole30, but didn't think I have the perseverance to complete a program like this. I've never denied myself anything! I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. But I was also sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. So I read It Starts With Food and so much of it spoke to me and my symptoms. I dove in.

Now here will be the disappointing news. I experienced a pretty bad flare up right at the beginning that I battled with for a lot of the 30 days which is why I extended to a Whole45. I would say just in the past week have I started to feel somewhat normal. Not perfect, but better. If I wasn't going on a trip I would continue to eat this way till it 100% worked for me. But everybody's body is different. My husband reminds me that there is a higher calling to all of this. The issues I've been dealing with for the past 2 years are not going to be erased in 30 days. I have to keep working and discovering. And that is what I plan to do because this is my body. I have to live in for a quite a long time still I hope! And so does your kiddo. I think there is nothing wrong with embracing a diet that will help to alleviate some of his/her symptoms. I'm NOT a doctor by any means (and don't know the severity of little's symptoms so maybe a colostomy is the only way), BUT eliminating food groups that are known to cause digestive distress.....well, should be a no brainer for those of us suffering from IBS, colitis, whatever. What do you have to lose by trying it?

Sending you a lot of light in your journey. It's tough, but I'm optimistic. :) I hope if you delve into the Whole30 with your family (support is always the best!) then you will post here in the forum so we can connect with you. 

Cheers, Leah

3 hours ago, Kac1014 said:

YAY!! You made it! Congrats!  And OMG Italy! How awesome! I totally don't blame you at all for wanting to eat all-the-things on that trip!  We finished our reintros last week and both of us found that while gluten doesn't necessarily make us sick, it doesn't really make us feel good.  I felt mild pangs for what felt like the entire time it was digesting.  Eric felt similarly.  I think we'll probably avoid it unless it's a special occasion.  Also, I had a glass of white wine this past weekend and it made my sinuses go crazy (though it's done that before so not a huge surprise).  

Can't wait to hear how your reintro goes!

Huh, interesting....so far my only reintro has been wine and since you mentioned the sinuses thing my allergies did seem to be bad that night and the day after. But I also feel like I experienced them the night before so not sure if there is a connection. I enjoyed every drop though! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Thanks Leah.  Its not my kid though :) It was a patient!  I was wondering about your experience because I see a lot of testimonials on the internet about people managing UC with paleo but I've never actually seen anyone on this forum have much luck with it...

Good luck with your journey!  And have fun in Italy!

Archived