Whole 30 and a Whole lot More

YourMistressFox

Hi Everyone!

My name is Mel and my husband (Jason) and I are starting W30 today.  A few of my friends recommended it and I've hit a point in my life where I'm trying to turn things around.  We've been researching on an off and doing meal planning for the past few weeks so we're hoping this works out!  I, personally, am making a few other changes in my life to improve overall health and this is just part of it.... Kind of a rock-bottom turning point.... or rather we're both finally at a point where we can manage to make the changes without trapping ourselves.... 

Long story short we've had a lot of "Diet" issues mostly due to my husbands extensive allergies and my own physical ailments (back and knee issues) that had made the Eating Healthy & Exercising tough with full time jobs and student loan debt out the ears.

We transitioned to a mostly Paleo diet about a year ago with great success thou we both still have MASSIVE Sugar dragons... so we are hoping to slay them in the next 30 days.  I've already started by, over the past several weeks, taking 1 less sugar in my coffee each week.  (ie.  i started at 5, went to 4 the next week 3 the week after etc)

However I would like any advice or tip y'all can offer as far as the allergies are concerned (our biggest obstacle).  No beans with W30 is GREAT... but here are the other big allergies my husband has:

Tree Nuts

Seafood (All kinds not just shellfish)

Coconut

Pineapple

It's the Seafood and Coconut that are proving the biggest jumps now....  Any advice?

Thanks much!  And looking forward to fighting this with y'all!

~Mel

• Moderators

Seafood is just one kind of protein that's available on Whole30. Without it, you can still have chicken, beef, pork, eggs, duck, lamb, bison, and any other kind of animal flesh you care to eat.

Coconut gets mentioned a lot, especially coconut oil, but you can totally do this without it. Between it and the tree nut allergies, you're not going to find many milks or flours you can use, but you don't really need them. If recipes call for coconut aminos, just skip them and maybe up the salt a bit. For the flours, they're typically either a breading, which you don't really need, you can just season your meat and cook it without the breading, or they're for holding stuff together (like meatballs or vegetable fritters). Meatballs don't need binder of any kind -- Mel Joulwan, who wrote the Well Fed cookbooks, uses a combo of baking soda and cream of tartar to tenderize them, as in this recipe. (You could totally leave the walnuts out of that no problem.)

• Administrators

We transitioned to a mostly Paleo diet about a year ago with great success thou we both still have MASSIVE Sugar dragons... so we are hoping to slay them in the next 30 days.  I've already started by, over the past several weeks, taking 1 less sugar in my coffee each week.  (ie.  i started at 5, went to 4 the next week 3 the week after etc)

Hi Mistress Fox!  You didn't ask about this but I'm going to give you a tip on this sugar dragon issue right off the top.  Do not use fruits or dried fruits or nuts to curb sugar cravings.  For people with severe sugar issues we recommend only eating fruit with meals, only 1-2 servings per day (or none, you don't have to eat it) and to really, really watch how you react to the fruits, psychologically. If you don't have a fruit at the end of a meal, are you feeling deprived/ripped off? This would be a sugar dragon tantrum that is worth paying attention to.

The only, only, ONLY way to defeat a sugar dragon is to starve it to death.  If you absolutely have to have something, go for fat.  Olives are a great one as they are the complete opposite of sugary fruits. :)

As far as your cooking/food allergy issues, keep it simple. We don't use coconut products in our cooking (just me in my coffee) and we only eat seafood about once a week, if that.  Chicken, pork, beef, duck, rabbit, venison, eggs, etc for protein.  Ghee, mayo, olive oil, fattier cuts of meat, avocado/guacamole etc for fats.  Totally do-able!

Maybe it is a little early but at the end of day 2, I'm feeling pretty good.  After reading the book I was worried but so far so good.  The Amino for Salt swap is great advice so thank you for that and I'm happy to know that if it calls for Coconut oil etc I can swap out other things or do without and not affect the final product too much.

Sugar Dragons are grumpy but so far I have managed to resist.  i'm a big fan of Veggies and Guac so I had that as a mid-day snack and smacked down the dragon.  And, thankfully, my morning coffee does not require it - i actually like coffee and we get the good stuff (Local, fresh roasted, home ground and French Pressed mmmmmmm...sorry coffee snob here :D )

I really think I'm going to be able to stick with a diet for once and change things a bit... And thanks for the support!

Archived