rehydration with hyperhydrosis

• Administrators

No one here is a medical professional, as you know.  Hyperhydrosis = excessive sweating, correct? So you are depleting your electrolytes. Best way to make that up would seem to be an increase in electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium)?  Are you salting your food? Do you take a magnesium supplement? Do you eat higher potassium foods such as almonds, bananas, brocoli, parsnips, baked white or sweet potatoes?

I find when I am doing two-a-day heavy/sweaty exercise, I need a drastic increase in my sodium and magnesium to avoid getting cramping.  I usually just throw a mag supplement down the hatch at breakfast and then salt the heck out of my food.  I find when I am needing extra sodium, the amount of salt I can put on my food and it still tastes good is quite high.

As I said, we aren't doctors so if those food-based options aren't cutting it/suitable, you'd want to probably talk to a medical professional.

• Moderators

Quote: "An isotonic drink generally contains between 4g and 8g of sugar (carbohydrates) per 100ml and has about the same osmotic pressure as bodily fluids. An isotonic drink is taken up by the body about as quickly as water. They are intended to quench thirst and provide energy to the body. Ideal for endurance sports."

I don't know anything about hyperhydrosis, but it does not seem that an isotonic drink offers better hydration than water. And adding sugar to water to make an isotonic drink is not consistent with the Whole30 rule of "no added sugar." That said, if your doctor prescribes an isotonic drink to manage your condition, you are free to drink it. However, your experience will not be the same as someone who does not consume added sugars.

Finally, an anecdote that might be relevant. When I got into hot yoga several years ago, the instructor warned me that I absolutely must consume an isotonic drink immediately after class. She felt that was so important that she gave me the drink free at my first class. I checked in with Melissa Hartwig as an expert in yoga and nutrition. Melissa told me that many hot yoga students might need an isotonic drink after class, but that I would be fine drinking plain water because my style of eating kept me well supplied. So I secretly went back to drinking plain water and did just fine. 

Archived