Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

Hey thanks for the article, the encouragement  and commiserating. Actually I think maybe I indeed haven't been getting enough carbs... I've noticed I'll eat the protein and then just some  greens that tend to cook down quite a bit. I've stepped up my amino acid supplements and done a little more exercising and that's all helping. But mainly I finally figured out I've just been really run down. There's been almost an epidemic around here of flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc. There are so many people being hospitalized with it that there are literally no beds left in any of the local hospitals.  My parents, friends, coworkers and clients have all come down with it to one degree or another but I have been able to keep it at bay..... EXCEPT that I am exhausted and can't figure out why I can't get anything done. Then i have meltdowns because of feeling overwhelmed. Monday i watched a webinar on chronic fatigue syndrome and got good ideas for foods and herbal remedies that fight viruses. So, I decided I must be fighting a lengthy but low grade case of something and decided to just treat myself as if I were sick, let myself sleep as much as I want, take hot mineral baths, and got a bunch vitamins and supplements. Honestly in two days I am feeling so much better.  I still haven't gotten much done, but I have hope!

Weather is threatening freezing rain tomorrow but if not, I'm going to try to get out for a short hike.  I do have a light box, I just need to remember to use it.!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had "sun mixed with snow" ;) this weekend and I never did get outside much. I was feeling better for a couple days but today bad again.

I ate an entire baked potatoe and cooked carrots along with just a little pot roast for dinner and instantly felt alot better. So I need to really reevaluate my portion ratios.  Today I've been contemplating whether I should even stay on whole 30 but I will try to just amp up the root veggies this week and see how that goes.  I guess doing a winter one might be alot different than late summer or even fall.  

I bought myself flowers to celebrate my second week (first week of truly 100%)! And I did sit with my 7500 glorious lumens of Happy Light today. Didn't notice much difference but will try to keep at it.

Hope you're doing well:D

Feeling better this morning. Finally my gut is feeling better. Been off eggs a few days...Will try them again probably tomorrow . I will be very sad if it turns out I can't eat eggs.

This morning- grass fed beef stir fry with kale, cauliflower and mushrooms plus mashed carrots which I've never tried before.  Yummy! They tasted like they had sugar on them but they didn't.

Hmmm, I thought I had posted yesterday but seems I didn't.

Glad you're feeling better. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't eat eggs. Your breakfast sounds very nutritious and yummy. This morning I had eggs, bacon, sautéed Brussel sprouts, tomato and beetroot. Making a chicken and leek casserole for tea. I received the leeks in my weekly veg box. I'm not keen on them so plan on adding lots of garlic and herbs. I love mashed root veg. Yesterday I mashed parsnip, turnip and carrots together - Yum!. It's my favourite winter comfort food. 

I've still been having coffee & tea with cows milk but am keeping myself awake at night with a mucus cough so need to give it up. Also need to make ghee; I've been lazy and using butter. 

I took my own advice today and went out for a 30 minute walk. Although it was cold and cloudy as usual, seeing the new blossom on the trees and spring flowers lifted my low mood. I have been feeling so lethargic it has alarmed me. So I decided that I am going to walk every day and drink much more water. I've even started recording my water intake to help keep myself on track. I have used my light box for the past few days but it doesn't seem to have helped. I actually fell asleep sitting in front of it :), don't think that's meant to happen.

Hope you're feeling okay.

Way to go!  Those meals sounded great and good job on getting out for a walk.  There isn't much flowering here yet. We've had a unusually cold and long winter. I will be so happy when I see those buds!!

My gut is definitely doing better... had a total of four eggs yesterday and didn't seem to have much problem until late this morning.... bloating etc. So the verdict is still out on eggs. I'll see how today goes and try them again soon. 

"I have been feeling so lethargic it has alarmed me" -- that is exactly how I've been feeling... I was sluggish over the last few months but it finally started to feel alarming.  I haven't been to a doctor but I started researching thyroid issues, as both my mom and my sister have been diagnosed with Hoshimoto thyroid disease.  I also am starting to kick a chronic sinus infection. I know diet has a lot to do with it so I'm being patient and letting whole 30 work its slow magic, along with some supplements i got and feel like I'm finally on the upswing. 

Someone from a church group I meet with on Wednesdays brought chicken dumplings to the meeting the other day. She's a wonderful cook too, but  I ended up bringing in my own plate of pork roast and brussel sprouts. I felt silly but told them I have have been so miserable I wasn't even tempted to take one bite of those creamy, gluten-laden dumplings! Thankfully they were gracious!

I finally have felt like exercising and doing just easy calisthenics and stretching. It's hard to get going but I do feel better.  

I'm glad you're still on track. I wouldn't have been able to resist those dumplings. Good job on the exercise as well. I did another 30 minute walk today and like you I felt better afterwards. I also drank 2 litres of water today which I know will help me feel more energetic eventually if I keep it up.

My meals today have been, M1: eggs, potato, cabbage and bacon. M2: chicken and leek in broth over a pile of mashed root veg. M3: chicken and leek over cauli rice. No sugar and no gluten or grains. Yeh! Still using up my milk but when it's gone, I will go fully W30 compliant. 

So proud of you !!

Sadly, you'll need to hold your applause for me.... Now that you've said that I really don't want to make this confession...... but I had sugar today - and not a little.  It was premeditated, willful,  and totally based on emotion, just like an addict.    At least there was no dairy or grains involved .... and I made sure the candy had almonds and not peanuts . Good grief!:wacko:

But I won't be thrown off. I'm in this for the long haul so I will back to compliant tomorrow. ( Or maybe the next day, after this intense family weekend is over and the emotional triggers calm down - just being honest.) 

The good news is I wore a pair of pants yesterday that I couldn't get into 3 weeks ago!  

I love your easing into this. Seems like it's working well for you. Keep going and don't follow my example. :)

17 hours ago, CaseyP said:

"and I made sure the candy had almonds and not peanuts . Good grief!:wacko:

LOL:P

I am starting Monday 6th. I planned my meals for the week ahead and went shopping today. It was a joyless task with no treats whatsoever. I spent at least 10 minutes wondering what I will replace the sweet treats with that I have been buying for the last couple of months until it dawned on me how far I've slipped back into emotional eating.  Funny that you should mention being like an addict - I forgot to buy zucchini in my main shop so stopped at my local store on the way home. I sat in the car for ages before going in because I didn't know if I could trust myself to just buy zucchini and not get cake and/or chocolate as well. Still, we've both done this before so we can do it again. Your NSV in getting into pants that you couldn't wear before is very encouraging. I am very bloated at the moment so I'm looking forward to Not feeling 9 months pregnant. I've also been suffering with some lower back pain for about 2 months so I'm curious to find out if it's diet related.

Okay Good. I will start (again) with you on the 6th!  I spent about 4 hours today prepping veggies for this week. I about wanted to cry by the time the was kitchen was cleaned up but I will be happy in the morning when all I have to do is pop something in a pan or a lunch sack. I had a similar experience to your zuccini trip, except mine was spinach and an onion,  and I didn't make it out without chocolate. :( Did you? If so, your contemplation in the car was probably  what saved you. I  will try to do that next time and not go in until my resolve is firm! It's ridiculous, because obviously I CAN say no! I need to analyze my excuses maybe.   

In spite of my off-road weekend, I've noticed another nsv of more skin tags and blemishes disappearing. And I've finally had more energy - except I'm afraid it's BECAUSE of the extra sugar and caffeine.... could that be? I hope not. I really need to not feel the way I have the last couple weeks.  I know the energy pay off  will come.... I've had it before!

So, Day 1 in the bag. Didn't quite start as planned because I slept in and didn't have time to cook breakfast. So M1 was leftover chicken and half an avocado. M2 was cauliflower and broccoli mash with about 1 cup of prawns cooked in ghee. M3 was mackerel with roasted Mediterranean veg. I roasted a tray of sweet potatoes as well but was too full to eat one.

I felt a headache coming on about midday so had a black coffee which I think I will get used to.

I did make it out of the shop without chocolate or cake the other day btw but I've given in many, many times before. I've decided to try and shop just once weekly for the next 4 weeks, to reduce temptation and also save money.

How has your day been?

It was a strange day..... It snowed last night. So cold, damp, sick of winter. I'm hoping it didn't ruin my newly planted spinach and flowers.  It made me late for an appointment and later completely space out and miss another one.  Trying to make some decisions with my sister via text which is very ineficient communication, so nothing went as planned.  

https://goo.gl/photos/di7dRi1rGRiaRrCb9

I had good meals ... veggie scramble, hamburger pattie with salad, broccoli, potatoe wedges.    But can't say I was 100% sugar free. Tomorrow is another day.  

Good job for you! That sounds like some tasty food.  

Commiserations on your weather, it looks very cold and a bit miserable. I wouldn't worry about being 100% sugar free. Your meals still look very healthy and nutritious so you're on the right path. Today I gave in to sugar cravings and had about 5 organic dried apricots. I know I'm feeding the sugar dragon etc but I also know that when this Whole 30 is over I will at some point have chocolate and sweet deserts again so I am too upset with myself.  Some things in life are just worth putting on a bit of weight for e.g.: milk chocolate with sea salt and sticky toffee pudding. 

I cooked roast lamb tonight which tastes amazing. Had it with re-heated Mediterranean veg and olives.

Day 3 done!. I don't actually feel any different; no headache or fuzzy headedness but no increased energy either. Maybe it's too early? I am drinking black coffee which I'm starting to enjoy. I've just picked up my veg box which this week includes rocket salad leaves, Swiss chard, spinach and Jerusalem artichokes in addition to onions, leeks and basic root veg. It's not exactly salad weather but it's nice to have a change. 

I hope you're doing okay?

Hey Casey, How are you doing? 

I have almost reached the end of week one and I'm starting to feel a subtle improvement in my energy levels and mood. The main change though is in my sleep quality which is noticeably better. I've been reminded of why it's worth doing this properly.

I hope you're okay.

I'm here. I'm here! I was out of town for several days with no computer and very limited mobile data. Im so glad you kept posting;  i thought i would be able to. I have not been compliant at all, tho most  of my meals were not terribly unhealthy, but did include things like black beans and millet. It was just easier to eat what the people I was staying  with considered healthy than argue over compliant carbs, since I had pretty much dropped off anyway. 

I am definitely feeding my sugar dragon.  Today is supposed to be my prep day for the week but I'm pretty busy. Hopefully I can come up with decent food for today and do more prep tomorrow night.  Weather has warmed up and Friday was sunny, which helped my mood tremendously! 

:D sorry to pester you. I watched a programme on BBC 2 last night called  'The secrets of your food'. It was episode 3 and focused on the impact of food on the brain. One of the questions answered was why we are so addicted to sweet fatty foods like chocolate. Basically, chocolate and certain other food like ice-cream, have the same 50/50 sugar/fat ratio as breast milk!!. So from our first ever meal, our brains were developing pleasure responses to it. 

My new favourite ingredient is nutritional yeast. I added it to Swiss chard yesterday as I sautéed it in ghee. It added a vaguely cheesy taste. Today I added it to cauli mash. Yum!. 

Wow that is so interesting!  And makes sense that we go to it when we are wanting nurturing or comfort. It takes us back to the feeling of safety with mother. I want to try to use that knowledge to help myself get through cravings by finding other ways to comfort myself.... even BEFORE the cravings hit.  I was already thinking that for the next several days I want to give myself small but meaningful rewards to look forward to throughout the day and keep myself focused on those and off the "comfort foods".  I haven't thought that plan all the way through so I'll keep you posted.  :)

The programme I watched also demonstrated the extent to which the way food coats the tongue also triggers responses in the brain. So when you're rewarding yourself maybe think about treating your senses. 

A new NSV; my bloat has gone done. :) When I was pregnant, having a ledge at the top of my belly to rest my cup on was an amusing novelty. As a middle aged woman it is just plain depressing. And it's gone!! Still LOTS of flab mind you, but I feel much more comfortable. I'm seeing a physio   tonight to hopefully begin sorting out my back pain which I suspect is down to poor posture and nothing to do with diet.

Congratulations on your nsv! I think it took me a few weeks to really notice a change there and I'm not really sure I've gotten there yet this time.  I don't know about the back pain -- when I was eating really well last fall my back pain completely disappeared. Then when I started eating sugar again it came back with a vengeance. Then it cleared up with getting back on whole 30 and then returned when I went back to sugar, so I think diet can actually affect that.  You'd think just THAT realization would be enough to motivate me more, but those darn pleasure centers in the brain ... Have to re-train them!

Yesterday I sat in the park, in my car, in the almost-sun, and wrote in my journal and took some photos which felt calming and nurturing to me

bridge at park

Then today I had a reflexology treatment and, thinking of what you said about the senses, sat and listened to music while pampering myself with an avocado-chocolate facial mask! I can still smell the chocolate and hope it curbs my cravings and does not increase them :P !

Eating has gone much better ... need to focus on getting to sleep earlier and getting up with more time for breakfast.

Thanks for the photo. Did you taste the face mask? I would have been tempted.

I really struggled with cravings today and came close to giving in. To prevent myself from driving to the store this evening, I threw a very quick tuna salad together then had a long soak in a bubble bath. I knew that once I was in my pj's, nothing would tempt me outdoors again.

btw, in my junk mail this week I received an invitation to taste test a range of Cadbury's chocolate! It can be a cruel world sometimes :blink:

Hahaha! No I didn't taste the face mask, tho now the idea is in my head :o The Cadbury invitation indeed sounds cruel. Not sure I'd be able to stave off that one!

Yesterday not so  good on food, but at least I'm doing better than if I were not posting on this forum at all.  I've been getting to bed earlier but still not sleeping great. It's sort of a vicious circle. But the sun is shining today and that will be a great help!

Re: your sleep problems, a few people on the  'starting March 6th' thread seem to be having the same problem. Worth taking a quick look. Solutions suggested include Calms, Magnesium and eating a portion of starchy veg with M3. If you can't get to sleep because your mind is too active, have you ever tried this: think of 5 things you can see (in your imagination),  4 things you can hear, 3 -smell, 2 things you can imagine the taste of 1 - touch. Or, burn a candle then blow it out and focus upon the scent, describing it to yourself in your mind. 

I need to have the radio on but on low volume, to get to sleep. If I don't my own thoughts keep me awake.

Archived