Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

Oh no! What a disappointment on the meat and veggies! I hope you had an alternative on hand:(.  

If your kombucha is still tasting pretty sweet, another couple days without checking it shouldn't hurt it.  If you wanted, you could give it a couple teaspoons of sugar to make sure it still had food, but it sounds like it's okay. 

I'm finally eating fairly normally, tho not as l as large of meals, and I realized I have pretty much purged myself of everything bad while I was sick (I wanted toast with butter really badly while I was recovering but didn't go there). Plus I cancelled a trip due to being sick so I've had a couple unplanned days of being home and getting a lot food preparation done, so I think I'm ready to hit this also. Actually I could count last Wed as day one, since i was hardly eating anything!!  But I'll officially start with today. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 8:08 PM, CaseyP said:

Did a lot of snacking today.... nothing too  horrible but way too many carbs. A little achey and bloated so as for the cheese the jury's still out but I'm going to try to stay away from it.      Planning for this trip is interesting.... I'm used to relying on wheat crackers, lots of peanuts,  oatmeal, pancakes,.... it's hard to imagine what alternatives there are  but I'm sort of having fun trying.   Thankfully paleontology is pretty much a craze now- but wow.... 3 bucks for a tiny trail bar that constitutes  half a snack?! I bought a few but I will have to get more creative!

Haha..... I'm looking over some of my old posts, checking out patterns, hang ups and helps from the past, and noticed here that my computer automatically changed "paleo" to "paleontology"!  Well, kinda close.

I wish I could upload photos... that was fun and helpful when I was doing it before..... can't figure out what the problem is.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, CaseyP said:

I wish I could upload photos... that was fun and helpful when I was doing it before..... can't figure out what the problem is.

Everybody is having trouble with pictures, it's been reported to the people who can fix such things. Hopefully they'll get it figured out soon.

4 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Everybody is having trouble with pictures, it's been reported to the people who can fix such things. Hopefully they'll get it figured out soon.

Great. Thanks for letting me know.

hmmm, I posted on this thread last night and it didn't save. I'm back on day one tomorrow. I've been away in Scotland - home to the deep fried mars bar and deep fried pizza!! (they dip both in batter before frying ..YUK!). I wasn't confident of finding compliant food easily so decided not to try as I only started this W30 on Saturday anyway.

How are you doing Casey?

hmmm, I posted on this thread last night and it didn't save. I'm back on day one tomorrow. I've been away in Scotland - home to the deep fried mars bar and deep fried pizza!! (they dip both in batter before frying ..YUK!). I wasn't confident of finding compliant food easily so decided not to try as I only started this W30 on Saturday anyway.

How are you doing Casey?

:lol:I sort of wondered how it would go for you when you said you were going on a trip right when you first started!  I've heard of deep fried Mars bars.... a food wagon at local fairs sells them here and I've always thought it sounded like junk food overkill - but deep fried pizza too?! ........ I'd actually probably go for that and then be really sorry :P:D! I don't know when the last time I had pizza was.!!

I haven't had time to post but I've been doing pretty good.  The remnants of my being sick helped curb my cravings for a while, and when I have been in a store and been tempted to grab candy, I've found something else to distract myself with. Bonus, I pulled my winter clothes out the other day, many of which did not fit me very well- or at all- when I put them away, and I was pleasantly surprised. It felt like Christmas.  I'm putting a few back in storage and crossing my fingers for the end of this whole 30.  

Good luck with day one!

:lol:I sort of wondered how it would go for you when you said you were going on a trip right when you first started!  I've heard of deep fried Mars bars.... a food wagon at local fairs sells them here and I've always thought it sounded like junk food overkill - but deep fried pizza too?! ........ I'd actually probably go for that and then be really sorry :P:D! I don't know when the last time I had pizza was.!!

I haven't had time to post but I've been doing pretty good.  The remnants of my being sick helped curb my cravings for a while, and when I have been in a store and been tempted to grab candy, I've found something else to distract myself with. Bonus, I pulled my winter clothes out the other day, many of which did not fit me very well- or at all- when I put them away, and I was pleasantly surprised. It felt like Christmas.  I'm putting a few back in storage and crossing my fingers for the end of this whole 30.  

Good luck with day one!

Held a late-season yard sale today with my parents and sister.... it managed not to rain!  We always used to accompany yard sales with subway sandwiches or pizza and soda pop so no one had to cook, but today I snuck back in the kitchen and made a big pot of stir fry cabbage, mushrooms, and yellow squash.   Breakfast sausage to go with it, though I made eggs for myself since I was sure the sausage was not compliant.  Chicken, fried kale and avocado for lunch with Figgy Pops... figs, dates, Apple, coconut, Chia, all rolled into little balls.... technically compliant tho probably not the best, but I ate them WITH the meal and only had three. 

Broke open my peach kombucha and it's amaaaaaziiinng!

Still haven't had dinner and not that hungry. I've been having a lot of 2 meal days. Not sure if that's bad... 

Hey, sounds like a busy, fun and successful day on a number of levels. I love the name Figgy pops:P. How much peach did you add to your Kombucha?  

Although I had intended to restart a W30 earlier last week, my first fully compliant day was friday 7th due to lack of prep for work lunches, so today is day 3. I am pleased to report that I have already stopped yawning all day. 

I've bought some nutritional yeast. Never used it before and I don't particularly miss cheese but I'll need to try out different recipes and tastes to avoid food boredom for another 30 days of compliant eating.

good luck to us.

I'm really tired and apparently needing a ridiculous numer of hours of sleep like i was the first week of the first go-around.   Last week didn't seem so bad. My gut also seems worse instead of better so I don't know what the problem is this week.    

I know what you mean about food boredom. I have experimented a little with nutritional yeast, just to add a different flavor.  I don't have any recipes for it. Let me know how it goes. I have discovered that I like kale fried rather than steamed or or even gently sautéed.  I use avocado oil and get it pretty hot in the pan then toss the torn kale leaves in and stir them till they turn bright green and crispy. Some even burn a bit and that's okay. Salt.  I also dehydrated some kale and crunched it into little flakes and use it as a spice on salads and soups.

I used maybe a half cup (a handful) of frozen sliced peaches in a quart jar of kombucha for the second ferment. It turned out with a nice smooth flavor.  I also did some smaller jars with lemon juice and about a tablespoon grated ginger that turned out good. 

Yes, Good Luck to us! I like that :)

I found this recipe using nutritional yeast. http://deliciouslyella.com/creamy-raw-cashew-nut-cheese/

According to a couple of the reviews, it tastes more nutty than cheesy although you can increase the yeast. I'm a bit sensitive to cashews so I'll use brazil nuts. I used to love cheese so it's weird how I don't even think about it now. I've also lost my old fondness for wine:(

Could your need for sleep be related to the season I wonder? I tend to go into hibernation at this time of year and don't come out of it until spring:unsure:. This coming winter will be my first on a healthier diet so I hoping for some improvement on previous winters. I've thought about making kale chips in the oven before, they would go well with the creamy cheese.

Makes one bowl of creamy cheese

–  1 cup of cashew nuts (170g)

– 1 tablespoon of tahini

– 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast

– 1/4 – 1/2 of a cup of water – add extra if you want it less thick (60-120ml)

– 1 juiced lime

– salt and pepper to taste

Simple place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until creamy, this should take about 5 minutes. To create a thinner consistency add a little more water until you reach your desired texture.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :( I feel your discouragement.

Are you able to identify why you went off? Specific emotional or stress related reasons or something?  Don't get discouraged. Today is a new day and you can get back on. The good news is that you now know how much your body does NOT like that stuff. :angry: And since you're at least partially detoxed you should recover more easliy.   Think of all your non scale victories so far and how you want them to keep coming!

I noticed a non scale victory this morning that surprised me.... I've had several annoying skin tags on the side of my neck and some of them have dried up and flaked off and others are just shrinking.  Woo-hoo!

We are bracing for a big storm here this weekend.... not like the hurricane on the other side of the country, but a good sized northwest storm that's likely to take down trees and knock out power lines.  A  good time to make soup I think. Well, if I have electricity!

Oh and thanks for the recipe... I can't wait to try it. I've been a little overboard on nuts lately so I'll wait a couple days but it looks fun.

Good luck starting over!

Well I made it through day 16, the longest I've technically gone on whole 30 thus far, and it was a hard day. I remember reading on the time line that on days 15 and 16 the cravings come back around and they sure did, but knowing that ahead of time helped.  

Here's an interesting dish I dreamed up as I went along.

Base of raw spinach and lettuce, tossed. Topped with chopped apple.

Topped with turkey/cabbage/onion stir fry with garlic and ginger.

Topped with Tahini sauce, * powdered turmeric, and hemp seeds (could've used sesame seeds)

20161015_231813.jpg

*for the sauce I used:

About 2 tablespoons Tahini

About 1 tablespoon olive oil

Juice of one lime

A splash of ACV

A couple pinches of garam marsala spice

A dash of garlic

Salt to taste

Enough water to thin it into a sauce

I wished I had apple jc to add a little sweetness as the tahini was a little bitter.  It ended up getting all mixed together and I was pretty pleased at the taste. I would make it again.:)

Congratulations on reaching day 16! Thanks for the recipe, I have a very large tub of washed lettuce in the fridge but have gone off salad. You've given me the idea of topping my lettuce with hot stir fried meat and veg so a big thank you:) 

I've got chopped parsnips and winter squash roasting in duck fat in the oven right now. I was going to roast some carrots as well but then found some white potatoes I didn't know I had so have decided to make Irish stew. Just need the lamb to defrost now. Not very organised. 

Sounds yummy! I love roasted winter vegetables. That makes me think i should make a big pot of them to have on hand. Good luck getting organised!

Our big storm I mentioned didn't turn out too bad here, although parts of town did lose power for a short time and coastal towns got hit pretty hard with wind blowing down trees. Two even had tornados that came off the ocean. That is almost unheard of here in the Pacific Northwest -so big news item. 

I think some of my lethargy IS from the weather/change in season.... I just drag in the mornings and feel zero motivation for anything as I sit here looking out at the gray and the drizzle. I just want to curl up under a quilt for the day. 

I made the "creamy cheese" recipe with the nutritional yeast. I wouldn't really say it's cheesy but it is good if you're not expecting cheese, and it provides an interesting sauce option. I've used it on cauliflower and on zucchini and have a little more left. When it's gone I'm going to have to ban nuts from my life I think.  They are way too easy to snack on and I think are what's causing my bloat.

Ive still been so tired, not sleeping well and having horrible cravings, like I just can't stand going one more day without ice cream or chocolate!. I've been trading it out for fruit, always trying to have a balance of meat and fat with it, but I just need to quit with the snacking.  

How are you doing?

I plan to make creamy cheese on the weekend to have with cauliflower but I might halve the recipe. I received my weekly delivery of organic veg yesterday and it included a green cauliflower. I've never seen them before let alone cooked with it but it tastes okay.  I'm sorry you're still having a bit of a struggle. Have you considered trying out some new recipes to get you over this hurdle? The Pina Colada Chicken from Well Fed is delish. as is the Chocolate Chili. 

I've changed my mind about attempting to complete another W30 and am just aiming to be W30 compliant most of the time. (again) This is a more realistic plan for me long term. I feel I am making conscious food choices all the time even if my choice for a particular day includes something unhealthy. This is still work in progress as there have been days when I've simply been too disorganized to prepare food to take to work, however it is my goal. 

One thing worries me though: if I have sugar regularly, say 2 times a week, would this stop my body burning fat as fuel for the rest of the week? I hope there is a moderator out there who may be able to answer this.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't mean to go so long without posting!  This is day thirty!!!!

I have been doing a lot of traveling and finding preparing food to take with me sooo time consuming I wanted throw in the towel.... but off I went with my baggies of sliced vegetables, canned tuna, boiled eggs, etc.  I found a great hotel deal that included a free bottle of wine.. but alas... no wine for the Whole 30 Compliant!:unsure: 

I've done okay the last week considering all my travels, but I'm not saying that a stray shred of cheese on a restaurant salad didn't make it past my lips, or that I didn't end up with a few too many fruit-and-nut type snacks.  And two nights ago I went on an emotional eating binge.... all "technically" whole 30 allowed foods, but certainly not in the spirit of "healthy relationship" with food.  It's MUCH better than I would have done a couple months ago though,  and I feel pretty satisfied with calling this a completed Whole 30. 

At the moment, my plan is to do a tiny bit of celebrating, then see if I can go really clean for another week, do a liver cleanse next weekend, and then start a calculated re-introduction period.  (I was still having bowel issues this last week which seem to be resolving now that I've laid off nuts and been eating more greens, so I'll focus on that for the next week.)

A friend wants me to help her do a whole 30 so that will help keep me in the lifestyle.

How are things going for you?  Did you find an answer to your sugar question?   I'm a little afraid to even try it, as I know how addicting sugar was in the past.  Yet, I don't to be afraid of a little now and then, either.  I think your plan to just stay food-conscious is a good one.  It is better to be realistic than stay frustrated with not being perfect and do nothing at all. 

Congratulations, CaseyP.  And, it's important to do your reintroductions after the baseline of a Whole30, and BEFORE celebrating (you can still celebrate, just not with food). I'd also urge you to do your reintroductions before any kind of "cleanse."

Don't waste the opportunity to find out exactly how the eliminated foods affect you, which will arm you with the information you need to design a customized eating plan going forward.

Hey, congratulations! Remaining compliant while travelling is especially impressive. I didn't get an answer to my sugar question from the forum but my sugar and refined carb intake increased to daily this week and I am feeling and looking distinctly bloated, so I guess that's my answer as it appears that limiting sugar intake to 1-2 days weekly just isn't possible.

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM, ArtFossil said:

Congratulations, CaseyP.  And, it's important to do your reintroductions after the baseline of a Whole30, and BEFORE celebrating (you can still celebrate, just not with food). I'd also urge you to do your reintroductions before any kind of "cleanse."

Don't waste the opportunity to find out exactly how the eliminated foods affect you, which will arm you with the information you need to design a customized eating plan going forward.

Yeah I hear you on the reintro... i thought of that, and only "celebrated" with one item: ice cream, so dairy+some sugar I guess.  I got a little bit of intestinal discomfort and later some sinus. Next day had cheese on a salad without much problem. So all in all I think I can save dairy for treats once in a while and it will be fine, but I'm not planning on putting it back in on a regular basis. I just don't miss it that much anyway.   I plan to try rice next.

Archived