Broadening my vegetable palate...

So, I'm starting my 8th (9th? 10?) Whole30 on Sunday, which I'm super excited about. Looking up new recipes, stocking the kitchen, etc. but my biggest obstacle is that simply put, many vegetables that other people like, taste funny/strange/odd to me. And I'd really like to expand my vegetable palate.

For example, everyone in my family loves beets. I keep trying them in a variety of preparations and all I taste is dirt. Seriously. Everyone else is waxing rhapsodic about the sweetness of roasted beets and I, thinking that these will be different, try them and get a mouthful of dirt. Green beans often have the same flavor to me, just less intense, plus a weird texture. I'll eat them if prepared with enough spices to overcome the dirt aroma/flavor. Peas are just abhorrent in both flavor and texture - won't eat them.

Most mild greens (leaf lettuces, etc) are mostly ok, but the ones that people describe to me as "slightly bitter", like radicchio or even some lettuce blends with baby greens, to me, are terribly bitter. Their flavor overwhelms any other taste in the salad. Hearty leafy greens like Swiss chard, too bitter. (I do love braised collard greens, so there's that.) I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Lest you think I eschew veggies altogether, here's a lot of what I do like and can easily fill half my plate with: carrots (raw and roasted); celery; onions roasted or sautéed; kale any way but raw; roasted broccoli and cauliflower aka veggie crack; bell peppers, roasted, grilled or sautéed (not raw - too bitter); asparagus, grilled or roasted; spaghetti squash; butternut squash; zucchini noodles; sweet potatoes; white potatoes; heirloom tomatoes; Brussels sprouts; English and Persian cucumbers; cabbages of all sorts especially if dressed in vinegar so it softens a bit...

I'm hoping that there's someone out there like me who's been able to expand their vegetable palate. If so, please, let me know how you did it. Let me know I'm not alone in the weird world of overwhelming vegetable super-flavors. I know I'm missing out on stuff that both exciting and good for me and it's frustrating sometimes. I'm doing this whole30 in the height of summer to take advantage of all the amazing fresh produce available right now. Help me figure out a way to eat even more of it! Thanks!

• Administrators

I don't have much comment on this to help you besides thinking you might be a super-taster and if that's the case, try salting your foods more.  Also, beets are gross.  Also, peas are non compliant on Whole30.  

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5671331/25-of-the-population-are-supertasters----are-you-one-of-them

Hahahaha Beets?  Gross?  I must be weird, I like them raw, cooked, picked.  But onions, now those are gross!  I love fajitas but the onions were always a huge challenge for me, so I cooked them into near oblivion and it worked, I ate them.

Some vegetables are great raw, some need to be steamed - try them all, just buy 1 and try it to see whether its something you'll buy again.

Archived