Starting Tomorrow (10/9) with Interstitial Cystitis

Sarah Liz

Hi everyone!

I'm starting my Whole30 tomorrow. I finished reading It Starts with Food yesterday. After work I'm going grocery shopping. To be honest, I feel very intimidated right now. I do love meat, eggs, fruits, and vegetables so I'm not worried about eating more of these foods. It's the cooking part that I'm a little wary of. Hopefully the cooking part will get easier and easier the more I do it.

Here are my reasons for doing this:

1) General health. Bottom line, I want to be healthy. Right now, I'm a poster child for "skinny fat". (I'm 5'4" and about 130-135 lbs.) I'm not overweight but I suspect my body composition is terrible. With clothes on, I look like any normal person at this weight. When my shirt's off, all there is is flab. I want to be healthy and get all the perks that come with living a healthy lifestyle.

2) Interstitial Cystitis. I got IC in March of 2009 and was finally diagnosed in January of 2010. That year before the diagnosis was so horrible, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My bladder pain was out of control until I was put on medication and armed with the "IC diet". (Consequently, I'm no stranger to an elimination diet.) After that, things improved dramatically but I still get pain to varying degrees daily. I suspect that processed foods are a big culprit and I want to test that theory.

3) Wedding. I know, I know, a wedding is maybe a bad reason to start something like this, but still! I'm getting married March 2013 and I'd love to be my best self for our wedding.

Roadblock:

I know there is one day in the coming month that I won't be able to eat 100% whole/paleo. Next Wednesday is the food tasting for my wedding. I know with the Whole30 there are 'no cheats allowed' but this will be one meal that I have to. Honestly, I'm in this for the long term and I don't think it's productive to put off starting this for another week and a half just because of one meal.

I'm looking forward to meeting people here and taking the journey along with you! If there's a friending mechanism on here, please do so, especially if you have IC!

<3

Sarah

Welcome, Sarah! And congrats! I hear ya on not putting off your Whole30 for the sake of one day. However, you might decide after the tasting to just reset and call the next day Day 1 again. Lots of people do. And by then, you'll have some experience under your belt and it should be easier. Unless you go crazy, you shouldn't have to suffer the initial side effects again.

Or...if you don't want to start it again and call it day one, feel free to just add 9 days and make it a Whole39 (or however the math works out). Sometimes it's easier that way especially if you are getting the daily Whole30 emails. Every day you do Whole 30 is beneficial and nobody wants you to tag your fun wedding food tasting in a negative way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sarah,

Did you have the tasting yet? How did it go? What do you think about actually making the meal Paleo/Whole 30 compliant? Both for the tasting and the wedding? The cake would be a little more tricky...but the app, salad, entree part could all be Whole 30 compliant.

I am the same height and weight range as you. I exercise quite a bit and have a lot of muscle, but I would still like to get rid of some fat deposits on my body too!

I started my Whole 30 on Sept 24, the day after my birthday. It's going well. Glad we are on this journey together.

Oh, on the bladder thing, I had symptoms of IC a few years ago, and found that taking probiotics and Candex and taking steps to reduce candida in my body were all very helpful. The pain went away and hasn't returned. I don't take any medicines for IC.

The Whole 30 will work to reduce candida. If you leave out nuts and most fruit, you will get better results. Eat more vegetables, protein, avocados, coconut products, and EVOO.

Archived