Feeling like I overate but also still hungry

I just started my first Whole 30 and I found after breakfast that I felt both like I ate too much and like I was still hungry. Is this a common feeling? Any ideas on if this means I'm still hungry or if I really over ate or if my body/brain just don't quite recognize how much I ate.

Breakfast was 1/4 frittata (from the book), 2 sausage patties (from the book), a small handful of carrot sticks and a small handful of mango, plus water and tea. Even 5 hours later I can't quite tell if I'm hungry for lunch or still full from breakfast.

Add fat. That will add to the satiety. Try having fruit later in the day with a meal (lunch or dinner) since some people have a harder time with it at breakfast with satiety signals and it shouldn't push veggies off the plate. It takes some finagling sometimes but a template meal will knew you feeling satisfied for 4-5 hours. 

1 hour ago, AceOfSwords said:

I just started my first Whole 30 and I found after breakfast that I felt both like I ate too much and like I was still hungry. Is this a common feeling? Any ideas on if this means I'm still hungry or if I really over ate or if my body/brain just don't quite recognize how much I ate.

Breakfast was 1/4 frittata (from the book), 2 sausage patties (from the book), a small handful of carrot sticks and a small handful of mango, plus water and tea. Even 5 hours later I can't quite tell if I'm hungry for lunch or still full from breakfast.

Raw veg are pretty hard on the digetsive system first thing in the morning - maybe try some cooked veg in place of the carrot sticks. How many eggs were in the 1/4 frittata and what size were the sausage patties in relation to the palm of your hand? That could amount to a lot of protein and it takes the body quite some time to digest protein which could be why you're probably still feeling full, and yet you still feel hungry because you don;t mention any added fat.

Also, what veg were in the frittata? Perhaps something there is causing you to feel bloated...

I figure a little under 2 large eggs in the frittata and the 2 sausage patties together were probably about a palm. (I have fit 5 eggs in my hand but my taste buds will not allow me to eat that many in a sitting). So I guess 1.5 palms of protein this morning. Much more than i'm used to (I normally have a bowl of cereal and maybe a banana).

I thought there would be enough fat between the frittata cooking fat and the sausage (pork). I'm a picky eater and haven't managed to eat avocado on its own yet. I can probably mix avocado with a scramble but I did not have the cooking time for that this morning.

Frittata had onions, tomatoes (I don't normally eat tomatoes the frittata tasted really tomato-y) and spinach in it.

Any suggestions for a good morning cooked veggie? Preferably one that also makes good leftovers as I don't always have a lot of cook time in the morning.

Ok, so there could have been a little much protein for you to digest if it's something you're not used too, although it certainly wasn't overkill. If  you're not used to a lot of animal protein you might look into a digestive enzyme until such time as your gut adjusts. Or try adding some probiotics like sauerkraut, kimchi or kombucha.

With regard to fat it's honestly hard to go over board. Have you thought about chopping up a jar of olives & adding them to your frittata? That works well.... or mayo along side the sausage patties.... It doesn't have to be avocado - I haven't eaten one in months.

For good morning cooked veg I think onions/mushrooms & some kind of green (spinach, cabbage or kale and/or zucchini maybe) is a good mix. You could through some peppers in there too, and maybe a few cherry tomatoes for a bit of colour & flavour without going over board. The onion, mushroom, zucchini & peppers could all be chopped before hand and stored in a tupperware for easy prep in the morning... Sauerkraut is another option that works brilliantly with eggs - or even dill pickles.

A lot of people like potato or sweet potato in some kind of hash but personally I prefer to leave starches until later in the day - there is quite substantial anecdotal evidence that this helps with sleep, and it certainly helps in stabilizing blood sugar.

I'd go ahead & try and eat something for lunch - not doing so will not help - eat as much of a template meal as you can & then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able, and then make some adjustments to breakfast tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

Had lunch, and it was insufficient. I think It needed more veggies and maybe a hard boiled egg added to the protein salad on spinach with a handful of strawberries. I ended up hungry most of the afternoon, but, learning. At least lunch seemed to help settle my digestive issues that I think breakfast caused.

I never really thought about the olives. Unfortunately, I am a very picky eater (I am slowly expanding my palate) and olives, mushrooms, avocado, tomatoes are still not high on my list to try or use. I'm currently working on the avocado (can do small pieces in with other stuff such as sushi or a rice bowl pre-Whole30). Tomatoes I've really only done in a salsa (I don't really use ketchup, and I tend to dislike red sauces on pizza and pasta, again pre-Whole30). So, lots of changes to try to both expand my palate and gain cooking skills.

Is squash a really starchy vegetable? I feel like it is, but I think I could make something with cooked squash for breakfast. Then maybe only have 1 sausage patty and add a spoonful of mayo as a topping?

I wonder if it could have been specific to the pork protein? I didn't have issues with lunch or dinner (besides not enough food at lunch) and dinner involved about 1/2 pound of ground beef.

Thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear the stomach issued subsided - it may just take a bot o ftrial and error to see what works well for you for breakfast.

The general rule of thumb with squashes is the harder the skin, the starchier it is - so winter squashes tend to be much starchier than summer ones.

Salads need to be HUGE to be satiating - it sometimes helps to add some cooked veg for bulk, although if the quantity felt good at the time then try adding more fat.

Protein provides staying power, fat provides satiety/energy, and the fibre of  the veg gives that nice full feeling.

Archived