Meal prepping today, starting tomorrow!

Tatinana

I'm equally nervous and excited to start my whole 30 (possibly longer, I'm aiming to go until my birthday) I've read through forums, Pinterest boards, etc and created a meal plan for the entire 30 days. Now just to grocery shop and cook tonight. I'm typically a binge snacker/junk food eater but I am hopeful that I can do this!!! 

Did you start today or are you starting Wednesday?? I am doing the same- shopping and preppi g today. Nervous and excited. HUGE junk food lover!! Ate half a bag of chips last night as a "farewell". Love that you made a meal plan for the full 30 days!! Way to go!! I am not even close to that yet!!

I'm officially started as of this morning. I ate about 1/4 a pan of double fudge brownies for dinner last night as my farewell/mental break down of can I really do this. Ha! But I've started off my morning strong. I realize I will probably have to make some tweaks along the way with the meal plan I made because I'm picky and get sick of things fast. Are you starting today? @Slippbakk

I am already doubting myself. It would be so much easier if I just had me to cook for but I have three growing boys who love pasta!! I was planning on starting tomorrow. Shopping today but if I can get me ass in gear I could make a slow start today :). I'm doing this mostly for weight loss, but added benefits of more energy and sleep would be fantastic. What are your motivations? I have a very hard time sticking to something for any amount of time. I know the first lines in the book say it isn't hard but......

@Slippbakk I feel you there! If I could afford a meal prep service of some sort it would make my life a lot easier. But I also liked doing the grocery shopping and prepping to see what's going on my food. I spent a good 45 min just standing on aisles reading labels. SOOO much stuff has added sugar! I also have to cook for my boyfriend who is not doing whole 30 so some nights I'll be making two meals, one healthy whole 30 for me and one delicious fatty something for him. 

I am doing it for weight loss and health reason. I'm two years into remission from ovarian cancer and I've gained about 50 lbs since, and a lot of random side affects from chemo. I tried different diets and even going vegan once before but I always find an excuse for a cheat meal that turns into cheat week/month so I'm pretty nervous about falling off the wagon on this one too. 

But I also believe in speaking things into exsistence so I'm telling myself I can do 30 days and reap all the benefits that come with it! And you can too!!!

@tatinana Wow!! You've been through all kinds of stuff I can't even imagine! Congrats on your remission!? Is that something a person says? I am so bad at talking to people about that stuff. Huge in sympathy and all that but I always feel so awkward. Please let me know if I say something wrong!!!! My husband is on board with the plan but not sure how close he will stick to it. I should tell you a little about me. I'm 41, work part time as an office assistant that entails a lot of different duties including insurance and taxes. I live in Canada. My boys are 13, 12 & 7. I have Sjögren's syndrome (dry eyes and mouth) it's an autoimmune disease so I am hopeful this plan will help with that. At this moment I weigh 181. My highest to date not including pregnancy weight. Thanks for replying and chatting. Let's get this going and "just don it"

@Slippbakk don't worry about it! I've been through it and I'm still awkward about it ha. I never know what to say when I meet other people who have gone through it too. I'm hoping the whole 30 will help with some of the side effects I still suffer from as well as help with some other stuff I've experienced with fertility (shot in the dark there) but I've heard changing your diet can help with things like that. I'm only 23 and I weigh 220, 230 at my heaviest. I'm only 5'9 and was 180ish at my happiest weight. 

Do you you have any ideas of what you will be prepping? Will you be cooking whole 30 for your kids as well? 

Ive made it through breakfast and 1st snack. I feel good while I wait for lunch, my trouble is usually in the afternoon. I nanny and usually eat out of boredom when the kids nap after lunch. 

Well. For the most part to be honest I'm not really planning a lot so far.  We eat meat for every meal already ( father in law is a cattle farmer)  so instead of having rice or pasta as a side which the kids will want, I will just make more veggies for me and my hubby. Hopefully the boys will at least try some of what I make. 

Dont you find the recipes so unattainable? I mean I don't want to discourage but the likely hood of me finding mung sprouts or almond flour would be impossible in my town. 

With that in mind I have roasted a couple of sweet potatoes, and bought a whole pile of veggies with the hopes that I can cook/steam them and they will taste great. 

Tomorrow is the test for me, first day without my coffee creamer and I have to work, the girls love their cookies at coffee break. 

You can do it!! Just remind ourselves to be mindful of everything we eat. Get rid of the sugar and wheat. And dairy (goodbye my fav yogurt everyday ) 

farewell double double coffee mate. 

Hello carrot sticks and hard boiled eggs. 

And protien! Lots and lots of protien!!

i can't even remember what my happiest weight is. I'll be happy with 160 to start. 

If there one thing I'll say to you, it's this, you are SO young!! Work at it. Do it now cuz it sure doesn't get easier when your old like me!! Lol. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Slippbakk said:

With that in mind I have roasted a couple of sweet potatoes, and bought a whole pile of veggies with the hopes that I can cook/steam them and they will taste great. 

Roast all the vegetables! (well, maybe not quite all) -- but most of them taste so much better roasted than steamed. Here's basic instructions if you need them.  Exceptions to the roasting tend to be watery vegetables like zucchini and summer squash.  Those do well cooked in a stir fry or grilled alongside your meat on the grill, they don't need a lot of cooking, just to be heated through really. They can get soggy if you cook them too much.  Once you've roasted your veggies, serve them with mayo or ranch for dipping -- I bet you can get your kids to try some of them this way.

Hello carrot sticks and hard boiled eggs. 

You never have to eat a meal of carrot sticks and hard boiled eggs if you don't want to. I know you think the recipes aren't for you, but there are plenty out there that are made with things you can find, so if you run out of ideas to cook, look around. Many of the really hard to find ingredients can be left out or substituted -- but there's a good chance that if you look, you'll find some of them in your local store, like almond flour. Look for a gluten free or a health food section in your store, or if they carry Bob's Red Mill brand anything, stores around here seem to lump all of that brand together, and they make some. You can definitely do a Whole30 without those types of recipes, but if you do get bored and think you want to try some new flavors, look around and see what your store has that you maybe just never noticed before.

And protien! Lots and lots of protien!!

Really, it's Veggies! Lots of Veggies! (and adequate amounts of protein and healthy fats.)  Aim for 1/2-2/3 of your big dinner-sized plates to be vegetables at every meal.

@Slippbakk I try and stick with the easiest recipes I can find using simple

ingridients I know. For example for lunch yesterday I had aidells Apple chicken sausage with sweet potatos, onion, Brussels sprouts and a bit of chopped up Apple. Super simple and good. I made it through the first day!!! But today at work there is a pint of brownie ice cream my boss left for me (not knowing I'm doing the whole 30) and oh man it's hard to stay strong!!!!

hows it going for you so far?

I'm good to go today thanks to all the advice from @ShannonM816. 

Scrambled eggs for breakfast. Skipped my usual morning coffe because it just isn't worth it without my flavoured creamer - only a mild addiction. Lol. 

Lunch was some cold cuts and a side of veggies. I'm going to throw some stew in the slow cooker during my lunch break for supper. 

How are you doing @Tatinana?  You don't need that brownie ice cream!! Resist!!!!

@Slippbakk day 3 and I feel amazing (so far, I heard this is where sugar hangovers can occur) I resisted the brownie ice cream by shoving down a few carrot sticks before realizing I wasn't hungry at all. I'm taking a break from cooking tonight and having chipotle (the only compliant thing on the menu) because my boyfriend is torturing me and requested I make nachos for his dinner tonight -_- I'm not as hungry this morning either which is nice. But I'm craving pickles ??? And discovered the ones in my refrigerator have high fructose corn syrup, so I'm browsing the forums looking for whole 30 compliant pickles.

Glad to hear you're sticking with it too!!! I've also cut coffee out entirely and it's probably the hardest part. Hope your stew turns out good!

@Tatinana the stew was great but seriously left me craving an after dinner sweet. So I grabbed two or three dates. Omg how good are they!! 

Today I have prepared a bunch of veggies and a huge salad ready to go anytime and some balsamic vinagerette. 

Im feeling good too. Energetic and happy- that may be also because my kids are off to school today! 

Hmm pickles. That's a tuff one. Even my homemade ones have sugar in the brine. Good luck finding some! Let me know if you do. 

Great job! Keep it up!

@Slippbakk I slipped up BUT I'm not giving up. Staying compliant until Sunday and then starting over on the count. 

I I learned my lesson though. The food wasn't as delicious as I had hoped and I felt really guilty. I also have an upset stomach from the cheese. So in a way it was a good thing I guess. 

Archived