Day One Catastrophe

Yesterday was my Day 1, and my SO is joining me. On Sunday, we shopped and did quite a bit of prep. As I was wrapping up prep, I noticed my refrigerator seemed warmer than it should be, but since I'd been popping warm food in there throughout the day, just figured it would take a little extra time to cool down. I turned it on "turbo cool" mode, and went to bed. I woke up on Monday, and it still didn't seem as cool as it should be, but I didn't have a read-out. I scheduled a service call (the ice maker hasn't been working and the darn thing isn't even 2 years old), and on my way home, I picked up a thermometer to check the temp. I waited for a while, and found out it was 60 degrees in there, which means it had been around that temp for a good 24 hours. Most of my food (except for some eggs and fresh veggies) is a loss. I didn't have dinner options, so we dined out at a local place that has some Whole30-compliant options. However, breakfast and lunch today are going to be a challenge, since I don't have any home prepped food. I have a Red Robin, Qdoba, and Panera nearby. Anyone have any experience with Whole30 dining at any of these locations? I'm scouring the menu myself, but any recommendations are appreciated.

I'll be back in the kitchen (at the SO's house) tonight with my Instant Pot and Crock Pot to get some stuff ready for the rest of the week. Wish me luck!

Oh I'm so sorry. How frustrating. Very commendable that you didn't  throw in the towel. That's inspirational!  Red robin has a great salad bar so I would choose there. Either take your own dressing or use their oil and vinegar. If ordering a steak make sure no butter is used and no sugars or MSG  in the seasoning. Maybe grilled chicken or fish. Same cautions would apply. I would think Panera would be tough unless you can find their deli meat ingredients. I have a feeling they would have sugars in them.  I guess I like the idea of salad bar so you know you'll have somethin there you can eat for sure.  Best of luck and chances are, it will only get easier from here!!  ( I've previously googled "whole30 and then name the restaurant- you may find sown suggestions that way.)

Thanks. Looks like most of the available options around here are a no-go. My Red Robin doesn't have a salad bar, and I don't want to deal with "the inquisition" just to order lunch. I have some snacks that survived by being at the SO's house (hard boiled eggs, some avocado) and may be able to find a can of tuna and a few veggies to round it out. And yeah, I almost made today Day 1, part 2. After that nasty surprise, I really just wanted wine for dinner!

What a bummer! All that lost effort and food, good on you for your perseverance. Are there any grocery stores close? My favourite options from a grocery store might be: 

-hardboiled eggs (looks like you have that covered)
-can of tuna
-Roasted whole or pieced chicken
-Bagged salads
-Apples, or other fruit. 

Good luck! 

41 minutes ago, purplepadres said:

Thanks. Looks like most of the available options around here are a no-go. My Red Robin doesn't have a salad bar, and I don't want to deal with "the inquisition" just to order lunch. I have some snacks that survived by being at the SO's house (hard boiled eggs, some avocado) and may be able to find a can of tuna and a few veggies to round it out. And yeah, I almost made today Day 1, part 2. After that nasty surprise, I really just wanted wine for dinner!

I understand completely. Nothing wrong with keeping it simple.  And my sincere apologies. I don't  think any red robin has salad bar. I was thinking of Ruby Tuesdays.   

1 hour ago, Karen_Suep said:

Red robin and other burger places should be easy! Get a lettuce wrapped plain burger as for no seasoning on it. Add avocado and steamed broccoli and you're golden! I did that on day three. 

We actually had a similar dinner at a place close to home last night. I had leftover Spicy Tuna Cakes (from the SO's working fridge), hard boiled eggs, and was able to find a salad with oil & vinegar for dressing. All is not lost, but I'm still sad I lost all that prepped food! Better than food poisoning, though.

Archived