Ele's Whole30 log

Ele

Hi,

I am on day 5 of my September Whole30.

I am pretty pleased with myself as I managed to stick to plan in spite of being surrounded by temptation at the weekend. However, I have been feely really unwell. I've been feeling soon tired. This morning I had to go back to bed as I physically couldn't face getting up. I have been yawning all day (despite having 7 hours sleep, which is lots for me), and I've had an upset tummy this morning. I know you're supposed to feel rough the first few days, but is this normal?

On the positive side, I do feel a lot less bloated, so I am determined to continue, only... I have work to get done!! :-)

Hi Ele & welcome to Whole30

What have you been eating over the past 3-4 days? Are you salting your food? Adding enough fat? Drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

If you can give us a little more detail we can check that you're on the right track, and have a look and see if any might be causing that upset tummy...

Hi!

I have been eating either vegetable frittata or bacon with vegetables and a cheery tomatoes and avocado salad for breakfast; lunches have been either smocked mackerel and avocado over green salad; grilled pork steak with salad, roast lamb with roast parsnips, courgettes and peppers and asparagus, this kind of thing.

I add salt when I cook and I also add salt and pepper to my salads. I drink plenty, although I am not sure whether I met the half once per ounce of body weight (I need to figure this out, I'm used to grams and kilos!). I don't know if this is relevant, but I am severely obese.

Thanks x

Ok, I've done the maths and whilst I thought I drink plenty, I don't drink quite half an ounce of water per pound of body weight - or at least, I'm not sure I do. I'll try and keep track of what I drink today...

Ok, your meals don't sound too bad. Note that bacon is a fat for Whole30 purposes though so you're missing a protein in that meal. Do you feel your meals are big enough in general? Are they keeping you satiated for 4-5hrs? How many eggs are in your serving of frittata?

Avocados can sometimes be hard on the digestive system when eaten in quantity which could cause an upset tummy, so maybe try adding in some alternative fat sources like home made mayo or olives for instance.

Thanks Jmcbn, 

I hadn't realised that bacon counted as fat rather than protein! I guess there would be 1 to 2 eggs in my serving of frittata depending on slice size. I think my meals are usually big enough, although I have been struggling with my appetite over the past 48 hours, so yesterday I only managed a slice of ham for breakfast (it was the only time I've skipped a meal though): I just felt too nauseous.

I'm feeling less nauseous today but completely exhausted.  

Yeah, 1-2 eggs isn't really enough. When eggs are the only protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping - most females can manage 3 or 4.

With regard to the loss of appetite that's fairly common at some point in the 30 days. Skipping meals will only perpetuate the problem so well done on trying to take something on board. What we'd suggest is that you plate up a template meal, eat as much of it as you can (ensuring you get some of each food group), and then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - this doesn't mean wait until your next meal.... Your appetite will soon come around, at which point the nausea should no longer be an issue.

Thanks! It seems I might have done breakfasts wrong then. Luckily I have some pork mince in the fridge so I'll prep for some breakfast sausages from a recipe in the whole30 book for tomorrow morning.

Many thanks for taking the time to advise!

Day 7 of my Whole30:

I definitely feel a lot less bloated, although I still feel pretty exhausted (although this has been an ongoing issue with me, even pre-Whole30) and I am still really, really struggling with breakfasts: I am just not hungry when I get up and the very thought of food makes me nauseous.

Thanks to moderator jmcbn I was able to figure out that I was doing breakfast wrong on occasion (due to considering bacon a protein rather than a fat). I've addressed this and whilst the revised breakfast kept me happily full for longer, I still had to make myself eat it. I had dinner before 8 last night hoping this might help, but I have been up for an hour and I have some lovely diced chicken breast marinading in olive oil and spices, and the thought of having to cook and eat it almost brings tears of panic to my eyes.

I must confess NOT fancying food was one problem I had not imagined I'd have to face! 

On a different note: I have the food dream last night: I ate ALL OF THE NAUGHTY THINGS in my dream. Very odd!!!

Hi Ele - gosh that sounds tough!  I'm on Day 7 and my digestive system is definitely taking time to adjust to the new way of eating but otherwise I'm feeling good.  Being tired makes everything more difficult so please keep posting in the forum so that we can help you when you feel down.

Is there a way that you can take your breakfast with you to work and eat it later? I would hate to have to force myself to eat a big breakfast if I was not hungry.

4 hours ago, Ele said:

but I have been up for an hour and I have some lovely diced chicken breast marinading in olive oil and spices, and the thought of having to cook and eat it almost brings tears of panic to my eyes.

:(

Keep trying......

It might help if you could have breakfast already prepared from the night before so you don't have to think about cooking?

Yes, I think that might be a good idea. I have some poached salmon and I'll have that tomorrow with avocado and salad, so that basically I just have to open packets and arrange everything on a plate. Hopefully this will work.

In the end, I only managed to eat at 10am, 3 hours after getting up. By then I had sufficient appetite to eat all my breakfast (although I had to make myself eat towards the end). I felt much better afterwards, but the problem is that it is now 2pm and I am still nicely full from breakfast. So, I feel all my meal times are all over the place now.

I am also bewildered. I am doing Whole30 because I have an unhealthy relationship with food, binging and the extreme excess weight is starting to have an effect on my health. I certainly didn't expect that having to FORCE myself to eat delicious food would be the issue. This is the one challenge that I was not prepared to have to face, I have no experience of and so leaves me completely at a loss for what to do: this is unprecedented!!! The thought of a doughnut is presently as unappealing as the lovely poached salmon salad that's waiting in my fridge. Mad!

I am on Day 11. I feel much better. The nausea and exhaustion have gone. I still feel tired, but this is because I have a lot on, rather than because of the Whole30.

I do feel a lot less bloated, and I do get the feeling that my clothes fit more comfortably. I also often had pain in my knees when I got up after sitting for a long while, and they have now gone. My husband tells me my snoring has improved too. I'm still having weird dreams, but I think they have more to do with work stress than a change of diet. My tummy is still a bit upset, but slowly getting better, and I am slowly getting my appetite back (though I'm still no hungry upon waking up in the morning).

The only negative?

I REALLY REALLY WANT TO WEIGH MYSELF!!!

I am very overweight, and this is affecting my health. So losing weight is important for me, as I hope it will prevent me having to take blood sugar and high pressure meds. I am dying to know how well I am doing. The temptation is strong. I know it's stupid, but I can't help it (and that frustrates me no end!).:huh:

Hang in there, you are doing great, I can assure you. Wait until the end to weigh, I had a sneak peak, out of my control, and I wish I hadn't. I look forward to the end to see how I did overall. You will be surprised. It is well worth the wait. Keep up the good work!!!

Things sound like they are progressing better than before.  Well done for resisting the temptation to weigh yourself (it's so hard I know - I used to weigh myself EVERY morning).  But I really understand now that the Whole30 is not about losing weight but about re-setting the baseline and getting more control over feelings around food (the magic "food freedom").  I'm now thinking that my Whole30 is 100% about health and that only after I've finished will I think about weight. If I have to continue for another 15 days to lose a bit more, then so be it.  Keep going - this is really important.

Archived