Alliea's post Whole 30 science experiment

Alliea

Okay, first the good things I noticed about a successful Whole30: my energy has evened out, and my clothes fit better (this is day 31 so I just weighed this morning and I lost 6-7 pounds). Others tell me I have a "glow". I have had my eyes opened about a lot of foods, especially covert sugar. I never did achieve the euphoria feelings that a lot of people describe, but the other changes were good enough that I can accept that. The Whole30 wasn't really that hard--I didn't have cravings or serious energy crashes or anything like that. I feel lucky about that.

Here's what I want post Whole30: I want to be much much more mindful of how much sugar I'm eating. I want to settle the dairy question once and for all--I know I can't eat really high fat dairy without paying for it, but I want to know if I can comfortably include yogurt and cheese in my life. I don't think I'll have a problem with gluten, grains or legumes, but I want to be careful with soy since it messes with hormones. Also, you heard it here first, but my plan is to only eat baked goods I make myself. That will keep the intake to a rational level, and I'll also know exactly what is going into my food.

Even though I don't have the intense exercise routine that some describe, I have one that makes sense in my life. I walk to and from work every day (depending on whether I pick up a bus for part of the return trip, this is 15-20 miles of walking per week) which feels like exercise with a point, and it also fits with my environmental goals. I'd like to continue to make sure I walk at a brisk pace, and I'm also planning to add some strength training.

Breakfast this morning was two boiled eggs, two strips of bacon, a fried tomato, and a baked apple cooked with a little clarified butter, unsweetened coconut flakes, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and a small handful of raisins. Because this is dairy day, I added a small piece of whole milk mozarella. It's now 1.5 hours later and no ill effects yet. I'm having more cheese at lunch, and will have low fat ice cream this afternoon. I don't see any point in doing full fat ice cream if I know it will make me feel icky. I'm interested in what effect the sugar will have.

Onward to adventure!

Day 31, part 2--I added cheese to lunch, and had some ice cream in the late afternoon. I didn't notice any immediate effects. I had a sinus headache late in the afternoon but that's not really definitive. I had them occasionally when I was doing the Whole30 as well. The ice cream made the sinus headache worse, but it was cold, so again, not definitive. I *think* I had a bit of a sugar crash. I also felt a bit nauseous which was a bit more of a sign that something wasn't working with dairy. I think I'll reintroduce dairy again later and try doing the ice cream earlier to see what happens. I guess I was hoping for stronger signals rather than guessing based on things I occasionally feel anyway.

Here's one thing I'm not sure of--dairy is day one, and grains are day four, and so on. Do we do dairy ONLY on day one, or continue it until we start grains?

Two things: 1) I wish I hadn't read the Dairy Manifesto--dairy is punching holes in my gut? Really?

2) Oddly, my sleep has started to improve in just the last two days. Not sure if that's a delayed result of Whole30, or it was just improving anyway

I didn't notice any problems today related to the dairy consumption yesterday. So, it's a retry to see whether it was really the dairy that messed up my sinuses, but I don't appear to be lactose intolerant or anything. All the same, the Dairy Manifesto gave me pause...

Back on full paleo today, but looking forward to introducing grains on Monday. I'll bake the bread myself--really! Okay, not sure when I'm going to do that...maybe I'll just drink a bunch of beer to see how the gluten affects me :-)

I've added back my much-missed splash of juice in my fizzy water. No sugar cravings or anything.

Nancy H, I know what you mean. Even 5 days out, I have to keep reminding myself that there is no "illegal" any more. I'm just seeing your post today, so you must be on day 31! How goes it?

I reintroduced bread yesterday evening, and have decided that I will live with microperforations in order to not give it up--bread and butter is just too too good, and how can thousands of years of bread bakers be wrong? In terms of the effect of the carbohydrates, I've gotten more messages from the land of ambiguous body responses. I *think* it made me a bit more hungry in the evening, and I didn't sleep as well last night as I did the previous two nights. However, I also ate a bunch of grapes with dinner (whee! sugar!) and I have quite a lot of stress this week, either of which could interfere with sleep and/or make me hungry quicker. I'm going to have some pasta later to see what happens.

I still feel good, have not opened up a flood gate of cravings, and am beginning to enjoy feeling not quite as constricted as I did on the Whole30.

Nancy H, I know what you mean. Even 5 days out, I have to keep reminding myself that there is no "illegal" any more. I'm just seeing your post today, so you must be on day 31! How goes it?

I still feel good, have not opened up a flood gate of cravings, and am beginning to enjoy feeling not quite as constricted as I did on the Whole30.

Hi Alliea, today is going pretty good. In another post I mentioned that I have so much compliant food in my freezer that I could eat for a month on just that. But today I did add some Stevia to my coffee along with the Primal non dairy creamer. So far so good. But then I have been eating quite a bit of fruit the past week so perhaps my body is used to the extra sugar. I don't think I'll add anything more for awhile. But ..............Boy Oh Boy.............does a dish of ice cream sound good?!!!

Very intersted reading these posts. I am on day 30 today argh I have such mixed feelings about what to do now. Part of me wants to do the re-introducing thing but the other part is worried that it will just start up all my horrible sugar cravings....

I have enjoyed eating Whole30 foods I haven't really missed anything that bad (except for on day 5 - I had an awful day felt like my life as I knew it was over). I loved 1 can of Diet Coke a day before and sometimes it would be more but I haven't had that for 30 days now and my thought is not to bother taking up that habbit again because I know the stuff isn't good for me :) it might be that I have one on special occasions.

I will read your posts with interest.

Very intersted reading these posts. I am on day 30 today

Yeah! Congratulations, Iwilldothis! Guess at midnight tonight you'll have to change your screen name to InfactIdidthat :-)

You, know, you don't have to reintroduce exactly what they say in the book-it's your science experiment. I would think the thing most likely to cause sugar cravings would be sugar, so you could always try reintroducing, say, cheese and cream and yogurt sweetened with fruit or soemthing like that and forget the ice cream.

Okay, so I had some straight up insomnia last night after having bread with both breakfast and dinner. Hard to say whether that's wheat or stress. I noticed again that I was hungrier across the day yesterday, kind of like I had a hole I couldn't fill but didn't have any real problems with cravings. Seems possible the extra carb load caused the hunger.

As I mentioned above, I don't really know whether we're meant to continue things once reintroduced, or stop until the next thing. I decided to revert to Whole30 compliant in between reintroduction days, so it's back to paleo for a few days.

:D your right my name will have to change thanks.

I was unsure from reading the book whether you had to have dairy for 3 days then the other things but I think it must be 1 day trial followed by 3 days to see how it affects you? I was going to try that with the dairy anyway because I don't think that does bother me although I was going to have a muller light greek yoghurt and it is probably full of sugar so might have to re-think that. I wouldn't mind a bit of cheese :)

Kinda exciting but scarey at the same time I really don't want to go back to what I was.

Two things: 1) I wish I hadn't read the Dairy Manifesto--dairy is punching holes in my gut? Really?

All the same, the Dairy Manifesto gave me pause...

Hi Alliea....please tell me about the Dairy Manifesto. I have searched the library and nothing came up. Where can I get a copy?

Is it on the site?

It's been interesting to see how I'm reacting emotionally to introducing a little flexibility in my diet now that I'm post Whole30. I had to go to a formal dinner last night, and I didn't want to grill (no pun) the servers about what was in all the foods. Luckily, the food was buffet, and there were plain pork slices and sweet potatoes available. There's a possibility that something was cooked in something it shouldn't have been, but it didn't seem like it. The pork was, well, dry, and the sweet potatoes were, well, boring. I keep having to remind myself that I'm post Whole30--yes, I'm trying to introduce things one at a time, but that doesn't preclude being at least a little flexible (like I can't see a reason to worry about the fact that the salad had feta in it--I just brushed the feta off, so the fact that it TOUCHED dairy is hardly a reason to get spun up at this point, so RELAX already, right?)

I'm going to switch the order of the reintroduction and do legumes today, before grains besides wheat. I couldn't find anything that said the order was that way for a reason. I have to go out to lunch today at Chipotle, and after a month of regularly eating the only legal meal I could have there (carnitas, mild salsa, guac, and lettuce), I can't bear the thought of eating it again. Unlike the carnitas, the beef is cooked in soybean oil, so I'll have that, and up the ante with some black beans and maybe even fajita vegetables (also cooked in soy), and see what happens.

I'm pleased to report that neither of the reintroductions that I've done so far (dairy or wheat) have set off any firestorms of cravings.

And the effect of introducing legumes? (Drumroll please) Nothing! I was a bit hungry in the middle of the night, which could have been because of the bit of peanut butter I had with dinner, but seems a stretch.

I read an article yesterday in U.S. News and World Report that ranked paleo diets at the very bottom for nutrition. That was a bit disturbing. The article pointed out that the diet was too restrictive in the types of food you're allowed to eat. The Mediterranean diet (according to them), was a lot healthier. This is not to say that I regret doing the paleo thing-far from it, but it did make me think about what's rational for the long haul. Nobody, not even Dallas and Melissa, appear to be doing Whole30 strictly as a permanent eating plan. A transition to Mediterranean as a way of life might make sense, with a occasional Whole30 thrown in if I get out of control....hmmmmm...

Eight days in, and I introduced potatoes today--a little off the suggested schedule in the book, but I've at least tried to generally keep the intros as clean as possible. All the same, I just realized the breading on my fish would be a gluten grain, and the fries that I ate were probably cooked in a seed oil (we ate out). We've grouped potatoes with non-gluten grains, so I'll continue with this track for breakfast and lunch, then go back to Paleo for a few days to wait out any effects. So far, no effects from the potatoes or anything else. Tomorrow, steel-cut oats reappear in my life. I have trouble believing they could be bad for me in a just world.

Last post for my science experiment! Everything that I don't flat out want to avoid for the rest of time has been reintroduced, with non-dramatic effects. With the exception of occasional cheese and frozen yogurt, I think I'll stay away from dairy. I've noticed that grains spur cravings and hunger, but not to such a degree that I can't have them occasionally. I'll just be aware of what they're likely to do and that is likely to be enough for me to redirect myself as needed. Doing whole grain vs. refined stuff does seem to help. I don't plan to add in sugar unless whatever it is so awesome there's no way I want to miss it. That cuts out about 90% of the sugary junk I was eating before. I'll continue with my plan that if I want to eat baked goods, I have to bake them myself (or hubby is fine, too, because he is doing 100% whole grains also).

For whatever limited audience see this, here's a shout out to Dallas and Melissa, and all the Mods who make this information so accessible--what a great service to the world! It has been tremendously helpful as I begin my lifelong journey of thinking about food differently.

I have been readingwith interest. I am still very worried about introducing things! I tried Dairy on Monday (a bit later than I was meant to just because I was scared) anyway the day after the dairy (cheese and greek yoghurt) I felt fine other than I had terrible sugar cravings!! I had a horrible day just wanted to eat everything but fancied nothing in particular I didn't go off plan but I just over ate the things I am allowed! By the next day I was back to normal. Today I am meant to introduce grains but haven't done anything yet. I might try a little pasta with my stroganoff tonight but I just worry thatthe terrible cravings start up again!! I don't think me and food have a better relationship yet. I am glad I have done this plan I just need to worry less about off-roading. Good luck to you on the rest of your journey.

Thanks, Iwilldothis! Re: reintroduction, now that you are armed with information about how this will go, would it help to just tell yourself that you might have awful cravings when you reintroduce a food, but that will be time-limited and you can always go back to Paleo? I've tried to become bored with my own cravings--"ho hum, this is just what I do, eat some bread and then want to devour a bakery blah blah. It will go away". By the way, that technique works nicely with anxiety as well :) I admit, however, that I haven't had rollicking cravings so far. Curiously, I found sort of the same thing you did with dairy as well. Dairy caused me to crave bread. Well, okay, everything causes me to crave bread. This is Autumn for crying out loud. Bread season!

• 3 weeks later...

Hah, said my last post was above, but here's another since I was cruising around the forum anyway. Post Whole30 is still going well. I like how much control I feel I have now. I'm far from perfect, and continue to graze on nuts between meals or nibble when cooking, but I haven't gone crazy and started stuffing Jelly Bellies into my mouth (hang on, I'm just going to think fondly of Jelly Bellies for a moment...mmmm). I've continued to lose weight, slowly, which is good. I've also continued some of the good habits I picked up during the Whole30, like having a big pile of vegetables with breakfast. The food battles just aren't as serious any more. Okay, there was the thing with the Ben and Jerry's Froyo, but it was just a small container :-) I think I could continue this sane relationship I have with food now for some time to come...yay me!

Archived