Hi everyone, my name is Johnetta but you can just call me Jay ;) I'm a first time Whole 30(er). I haven't set a definite start date but I'm thinking some time before I turn 35, so next week sounds good but we'll see. I just want to get and stay healthy and active and make the right choices for my body. I also want to get off the hamster wheel of dr appointments and sugar cravings! So any advice? Let me rephrase that, any encouraging words of wisdom from someone who's done this before?

You'll hear this a lot: prepping is critical.  I have several large mason jars I've been living out of since I started this.  Filled with zucchini, butternut squash, riced cauliflower, compliant mayo, salsa verde, curried chicken, (peeled) hardboiled eggs, etc.  By making big batches in advance, it was always easy to spoon out a meal template when the time came.

Also, what really helped me at the beginning (I was going solo in a household of ice cream and take-out regulars) was my self talk.  "_______ will always be available.  For the next 30 days, I'm simply choosing to not have it."  Time has its way of slowly speeding by; before you know it you'll be on day 31.  What really planted a smile on my face was that by day 31(+), I didn't care for the things I had been "simply choosing to not have."

I completed my first round on Oct. 1st.  Made it through 2 birthdays (one was my sister's) without alcohol or sweets, and it wasn't the end of the world.  If anything, it bordered on empowering ;).  

Hope you dive in and enjoy the ride!  Don't be surprised if it turns out to be a lifestyle changer tho :P  I didn't expect or ask for it, but am satisfied with the new trail.

18 hours ago, CoffeeBean said:

You'll hear this a lot: prepping is critical.  I have several large mason jars I've been living out of since I started this.  Filled with zucchini, butternut squash, riced cauliflower, compliant mayo, salsa verde, curried chicken, (peeled) hardboiled eggs, etc.  By making big batches in advance, it was always easy to spoon out a meal template when the time came.

Also, what really helped me at the beginning (I was going solo in a household of ice cream and take-out regulars) was my self talk.  "_______ will always be available.  For the next 30 days, I'm simply choosing to not have it."  Time has its way of slowly speeding by; before you know it you'll be on day 31.  What really planted a smile on my face was that by day 31(+), I didn't care for the things I had been "simply choosing to not have."

I completed my first round on Oct. 1st.  Made it through 2 birthdays (one was my sister's) without alcohol or sweets, and it wasn't the end of the world.  If anything, it bordered on empowering ;).  

Hope you dive in and enjoy the ride!  Don't be surprised if it turns out to be a lifestyle changer tho :P  I didn't expect or ask for it, but am satisfied with the new trail.

Thanks so much for the advice and the encouragement. :) I will definitely plan ahead and stay fully stocked on the prep stuff. I'm really excited! I finally picked a start date. Oct. 13th. I'm ready! :D

I felt so good last time I completed the whole 30. More energy, less arthritis pain and no brain fog!  It is so worth it. One tip is I got very tired of eggs so made the chicken apple hash for breakfast and loved it.  Started today with a slightly modified version using chicken apple and butternut squash spirals. So good!  Also, I bring food with me wherever I go because not being prepared fuels temptation.

Archived