October 17th Start

allisonra

Hi! I am so happy to find a group who are also starting today, Oct. 17! About 4 years ago, I did a paleo type eating plan and lost a good amount of weight, but most of it is back, along with the sugar dragon. I know I can do this when I set my mind to it, and I am ready! I am a little nervous about the first week of detox, and feeling lousy and hungry, but I will stay busy and power through. I have learned to cook in large batches so that there is always something ready to eat in my frig. (Being able to buy cauliflower rice is a game changer since I did this last time, so easy and quick!) I have requested to join the Facebook group that Alison started, so I am looking forward to lots of encouragement, ideas, and support from this group! My kids are out of the house, and my husband is not supportive, so it is great to not feel alone in this challenge. Yesterday I grilled grass fed burgers and hotdogs, asparagus, eggplant and zucchini. Today I am making sausages for breakfasts, ground beef and pork to go on spaghetti squash, and salmon cakes, which I can grab and eat cold for any meal on the run. Salad in a bag is also a good option for eating on the go: cut up 3-4 veggies you would put in a salad (except the lettuce), including olives, and eat out of a bag! I look forward to hearing more hints and tricks from you all!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Divachef said:

I feel so unprepared! I have an entire week of meals planned but was unable to get to the store yesterday due to the weather...... I'm totally scared I won't make it through day 1

I know how you feel! I haven't made it to the store yet, either.

Well I hope you all made it successfully through Day 1!  Now you know what to expect, and for those of you who are new to the program, hopefully you have an idea of how your meals need to be adjusted.  That was the biggest thing for me the first time, because you should never feel hungry after consuming a meal.  Yesterday I was dragging, and I'm sure it had something to do with my off-road eating all weekend!  Last night I started some chicken broth in my crockpot, and when I opened my door this morning the scent from the broth just embraced me...heavenly!  lol  Here's to Day 2!

How was everyone's first day?

Mine was fine, but this morning I am hangry!  I think I need to add some protein to my breakfast.

Speaking of protein, do y'all have any good protein sources?  I like to eat one meat-less meal a day.  I used to do it with some cheese for the protein, but now I need something else!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Tia123 said:

How was everyone's first day?

Mine was fine, but this morning I am hangry!  I think I need to add some protein to my breakfast.

Speaking of protein, do y'all have any good protein sources?  I like to eat one meat-less meal a day.  I used to do it with some cheese for the protein, but now I need something else!

Eggs. They are really the only meatless protein that's truly whole30 compliant.

Some people will probaby mention nuts and nut butters, which contain some protein, but it isn't complete protein, and for whole30 purposes, they are fats, and due to their less healthy omega-3 to omega-6 ratios and the fact that they're hard on many people's digestive tract, they really ought to be limited. A serving size is only a small, closed handful, and you're probably better off not having that every single day.

Day two for me, going fine. I am not happy with the no milk in the coffee situation. I love my coffee in the am. I have settled into almond milk but it's sub par!! I tried iced espresso as my mid morning coffee with almond milk and much more delicious, so maybe I will switch over to iced for now!!  Not feeling stressed or anxious about what to eat. Don't yet miss anything . Tonight day 2, going out for my regular girls night at my favorite restaurant/bar. All involved have been alerted to no cocktails for me. Curious to see how it goes. Feel positive and hopeful that I will still have a great time. Will sort out dinner options, not expecting this to be a problem so looking forward to reporting back to the group!!

On October 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Ekmcgrath said:

I'm starting on monday as well. Super anxious about it, really want to give it a try. 55 year old working mother in New York City. Very stressful life, lots of socializing, lot's of nights out. I am doing it with my husband so we can be supportive to one another. I plan on doing a lot of advance planning and prep this weekend. My goal is to learn more about my relationship with food and more specifically alcohol. I have been in the habit of drinking most evenings and I think it has overall been slowing me down and making me feel like a person without self control (uggg!) I am very healthy and tend to eat balanced, meals and don't have any issues with food. This is truly an experiment.  But I'm anxious!!!!

I am not a coffee person, so there I have an advantage, and for tea i either have green or black tea. I have been feeling very hungry especially at night as I have my dinner at 8, and 2nd day was vegetarian day for me. I sleep late as I work till late. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:08 AM, Divachef said:

I feel so unprepared! I have an entire week of meals planned but was unable to get to the store yesterday due to the weather...... I'm totally scared I won't make it through day 1

How did your first day go without being able to make it to the store?  I was thinking about you!

2 hours ago, jolong said:

How did your first day go without being able to make it to the store?  I was thinking about you!

I got it together! I went to the store in the morning and got what I needed for the day. I even made it through my danger time for my Sugar Dragon which is late night. Thank you for thinking of me!

So, I was having a good Day 3, making burgers with sweet potato buns. I made the patties very basic with just salt and pepper. Unbeknownst to me, my husband sprinkled Lawry's Seasoned Salt (Reduced Sodium) on them before putting them on the grill. That is definitely not compliant! Third ingredient is sugar. But since it was just sprinkled on (not incorporated) and was done on grill (not seared), am I right to think it's not that big of a deal?

Hi All, Day 2 in the books and so far so good. 

Ekmcgrath when I did my first whole 30 I never thought I would survive with out milk in my coffee. Someone told me to try putting coconut oil in there and blending it with an immersion blender. It's called bullet coffee and it's delish!! I sprinkle cinammon on top and truthfully this has become the way I prefer to drink my coffee

Jenpowell, I think a moderator should answer that question but if it were me, since it is only day 3 I would probably just add 3 days at the end before starting reintroduction just so you know you have done it properly. And mentally you don't have to think of it as going back to day 1. 

Welcome to everyone jumping on this thread I can tell we got a great group going here! 

The start of Day 3 and I am already tired of all the cooking and cleanup!  I forget how demanding this program is of your time, because if you want to be successful, you definitely need time for preparation and planning.  So right after dinner last night I started cleaning up the kitchen and then started right away prepping for a Hungarian stew that is in the crockpot today.  So I'm thinking with my leftovers I can take a break from cooking tomorrow at least!  I hope my stew turns out good...I got the recipe from the Well Fed site...has anyone tried it?  I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Jenpowell:  I feel for you!  When I did my first round back in January I served peas with dinner one night, not realizing they are a legume!  I think I did that on day 4, and I don't remember how I dealt with that.  I know I did a very slow roll reintroduction so I'm thinking 4 days would have gotten added on to the end of it.

On days 1 and 2, I definitely did not eat a big enough breakfast (especially since I work out in the morning, and didn't eat a post-wo meal!)  So today (rest day) I ate a bigger Meal 1 and it was much better.  I also added some protein to my lunch because I was starving by about 4 the past 2 days (I ate a handful of nuts both days :blink:). 

Has anyone else had to make any adjustments after the first couple of days?

6 minutes ago, jolong said:

The start of Day 3 and I am already tired of all the cooking and cleanup!  I forget how demanding this program is of your time, because if you want to be successful, you definitely need time for preparation and planning.  So right after dinner last night I started cleaning up the kitchen and then started right away prepping for a Hungarian stew that is in the crockpot today.  So I'm thinking with my leftovers I can take a break from cooking tomorrow at least!  I hope my stew turns out good...I got the recipe from the Well Fed site...has anyone tried it?  I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Jenpowell:  I feel for you!  When I did my first round back in January I served peas with dinner one night, not realizing they are a legume!  I think I did that on day 4, and I don't remember how I dealt with that.  I know I did a very slow roll reintroduction so I'm thinking 4 days would have gotten added on to the end of it.

I do all my planning/prep work for the week on Sunday, then for the weekend on Friday, so it doesn't seem so overwhelming!  Maybe that would help?

• Moderators
15 hours ago, jenpowell9 said:

So, I was having a good Day 3, making burgers with sweet potato buns. I made the patties very basic with just salt and pepper. Unbeknownst to me, my husband sprinkled Lawry's Seasoned Salt (Reduced Sodium) on them before putting them on the grill. That is definitely not compliant! Third ingredient is sugar. But since it was just sprinkled on (not incorporated) and was done on grill (not seared), am I right to think it's not that big of a deal?

It was on the food and you ate the food, so you did consume it, and your body doesn't know the difference between something accidentally consumed versus something consumed deliberately. Generally we direct people to this article and let them decide for themselves how they want to deal with these things.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, jolong said:

Have you considered doing a weekly cookup? It means a big time commitment one day, but I know for me, it makes the rest of the week seem less overwhelming, as I can just grab stuff out of the fridge and reheat it (or not). 

4 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

It was on the food and you ate the food, so you did consume it, and your body doesn't know the difference between something accidentally consumed versus something consumed deliberately. Generally we direct people to this article and let them decide for themselves how they want to deal with these things.

Thank you! I just read it, and it made the answer very clear to me.

1 hour ago, jolong said:

I was just  thinking last night that I've washed more dishes in the past 2 days than I have in a week! Thankfully I love cooking! 

Happy Day 3

Just to give you all a chuckle, I made the kids and hubby pizza last night and had put two 3lb porkloins in the crockpot yesterday figuring I would have dinner and a protein to pick on for a few days at least. Came down this morning and there wasn't even 1 scrap of pork left.... Guess I have to inform them all to not touch my food LOL

Totally agree that this program involves a lot of planning, cooking, and clean up but it is so worth it!!

Jolong - would love to hear how the stew came out I'm always looking for new ideas and really love using the crockpot

Tia - Happy to hear you feel better today and good job on the adjustment and the will power!!

Diva chef - Great will power!

Jen - glad Shannon chimed in and you have an answer! 

Hang in there everyone!!

I'm running late in getting on the Forum - but I started my 2nd W30 on Monday the 17th as well.  My husband is W30ing with me also.  Would like to stay in touch with this group for questions, complaints & encouragement!  I'm 58, married & live in Oklahoma.  I am blessed with a husband who works nights, so he usually has dinner ready for me when I get home.  We have our healthy dinner together, and an hour later he leaves for work.  That's when the temptations hit me to snack in secret - but, I keep telling myself that this will only hurt me in the long run. 

Look forward to our journey together.  Let me know if I can help! 

Archived