Hungry but don't know

Babsie95

I have found that for the last several weeks I don't feel hungry. I am able to eat, not adverse as I was in the past. The problem is that I never realize when I'm hungry. The first sign seems to be I get hangry Lime tearing my families head off for no reason. Is this common? It's not something I remember and haven't found anything when I search....any insight?

• Administrators

Sorry, please clarify; you haven't been hungry at all in weeks?  Is it at all meal times or specific ones? Are you attempting to eat every 4-5 hours? Could you give a rundown of what you have been eating, including portion sizes, specific veggies and fats and meal timings? 

"Hangry" leads me to believe that you have not become fat-adapted which could be a result of not quite having balanced your meals correctly.

Let's see what you've been up to and we'll go from there.

Its hard to describe. I am hungry but I don't feel it. I don't know when I'm getting hungry so if I eat a bit later than normal I don't think about it because I don't feel hunger but then its like someone flips a switch and I become an angry monster. I snap at everyone and everything without reason. I still don't feel hunger but once I eat I'm normal again. Its like my body isn't signaling me that its time to eat and then its too late. Sorry to be unclear but is strange and difficult to describe.

some sample meals are

M1: (didn't eat enough but did eat on time) Tuna salad with coconut, grapes and mayo

M2: roasted potato, pineapple chicken, pickles, coconut flakes

M3: cuban picadillo with guacamole and baked plantain chips

M1: last minute panic...hard boiled egg, olives, grapes and pickle slices

M2: chicken apple sausage, potato mushroom hash, coconut flakes

M3: Lemon butter chicken (ghee), roasted asparagus,  baked plantain chips, guacamole

M1: in a rush, roasted chicken and olives

M2: zuppa Toscana, olives

M3: stuffed peppers with potato, onion hash and guac

I drink at least 100oz of water a day

I have been doing reintros but this started around the middle of my 30 and I am at day 50 something. I have done whole 30 in the past but this is new and bizarre

something else is that I think that my third meal is late on the days this happens more that 7 hours or so. If I had hunger to remind me I could avoid it by having a mini meal when this is going to happen. But I am able to go 4-6 hours between meals. There may not be much to fix it except being more aware but I just thought it was strange to seeming loose the sensation of hunger

• Administrators

Hunger is different when you are fat-adapted. It's more of an empty, maybe unsettled feeling. Like something is a bit off. Going 4-6 hours between meals is about right but you should be watching a clock/making a schedule also so that you are ready to serve yourself food at around 4-5 hours. Don't wait for that traditional tummy growling feeling, chances are you aren't going to be getting that.

Do plan to feed yourself something every 4-5 hours and if the gap between lunch and dinner is going to run long, plan for and pack a snack of at least protein and fat or protein and veggie if not all three.

ok that makes sense I guess  I didn't realize that how hunger feels would change so drastically. I will stay aware and make sure I eat something if its going to be too long between. I am sure my husband and kids would be grateful

thanks for the feedback

Archived