Bipolar and emotional eating

I have bipolar disorder. I've successfully completed the whole 30 2.5 times  (a few slip ups on my last one) and when I'm faithful to the program, I'm rewarded completely. The holidays are rough for me emotionally, and I notoriously have a rough November each year adjusting to the weather. 

I don't want to reward myself with food anymore and I want that tiger blood back. Last whole 30 I depended on larabars, fruit, fries, chips and unfortunately juice to get through the tough moments on the program. It's such a slippery slope. Today I'm proud of myself. At Starbucks today, I wanted a breakfast sandwich and a brownie, they both looked so good. I got neither, and stuck to my black iced coffee. I brought my lunch today, courtesy of my incredibly supportive boyfriend who is joining me for his second whole 30. 

My emotions take over sometimes. I said last week was day 1, but I think today is actually day 1. Does anyone else have a mood disorder out there, has anyone else had a really hard time overcoming emotional eating? I need some motivation to stay on track. 

Thank you in advance, everyone. 

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Bipolar type 2 and did my first round of whole 30 when I was manic back in May. I've tried like 5-6 times since then to complete another round but can't make it 7 days! I'm determined to complete my second round this go around while my mood is more stable! I feel the best ever while doing it and hope to stick with it long term! Good luck! 

Eating to the template helps to regulate your hormones/cortisol rhythm.

If you find yourself feeling unusually anxious/depressed, you may need more starch.

Drops in blood sugar can be a trigger for some people, keeping your blood sugar even helps to keep you on an even keel.

Things like Lara bars might help you in the short term, but when the blood sugar spike wears off, your blood sugar will dip again.

Some people do well on one fist-sized potato per day, some may need this with every meal.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, Jennifer824 said:

I have bipolar disorder. I've successfully completed the whole 30 2.5 times  (a few slip ups on my last one) and when I'm faithful to the program, I'm rewarded completely. The holidays are rough for me emotionally, and I notoriously have a rough November each year adjusting to the weather. 

I don't want to reward myself with food anymore and I want that tiger blood back. Last whole 30 I depended on larabars, fruit, fries, chips and unfortunately juice to get through the tough moments on the program. It's such a slippery slope. Today I'm proud of myself. At Starbucks today, I wanted a breakfast sandwich and a brownie, they both looked so good. I got neither, and stuck to my black iced coffee. I brought my lunch today, courtesy of my incredibly supportive boyfriend who is joining me for his second whole 30. 

My emotions take over sometimes. I said last week was day 1, but I think today is actually day 1. Does anyone else have a mood disorder out there, has anyone else had a really hard time overcoming emotional eating? I need some motivation to stay on track. 

Thank you in advance, everyone. 

Jen

@Jennifer824  @subeau How is it going?  @Agrissom31 Have you been sticking with it?  I have type 2 and find the whole 30 to be very stabilizing.  It's hard, though.  Emotionally I have to check myself when I feel ecstatic about doing great, then kind of despondent about everything, without as many foods to lean on as that emotional crutch or distraction.  And the alcohol... Well, I'm on Day 6 with the January Whole30 and doing ok.  Bored because it's winter and I get antsy and aggravated, a little housebound with snow in the forecast - but that's everyone in the northeast!     

Archived