Thyroid Condition

mandrew

Hi there, 

I haven't started my program yet, I am taking some time to fully prepare for it before I start (yeah, such an excuse right?) to minimize the chance of breaking.

My biggest concern is my thyroid condition. I have hypothyroidism and I take 50mcg once every morning around the same time. I tend to have to eat a lot of snacks throughout the day, rather than a few big meals. The big meals have been making me tired, probably due to my digestion system. I always have to eat before bed, so eating after 8pm is a regular thing for me. 

I was hoping for some advice here, perhaps even some meal plans that have been used in the past with someone who has the same condition. I don't consume milk, i minimize my sugars, I dont wake up and drink coffee, I regularly drink 1L of water when I wake up, a greens vegetable supplement drink, matcha tea, and then I begin my breakfasts.

I am often on the road, OR I am too busy at work to go and get a good meal, and since I am around Pizza, the obvious choice is right infront of me.

Looking forward to any responses! 

Thanks

Thanks Quilter. Thats awesome to hear.  

What were your eating habits like before you started the plan? 

How long have you been on it for? 

Could I take a peak at your meal plans to see what kinds of food your making that last a week? Very curious...

• 2 weeks later...

Mandrew,

I'm new here and about to commit to my first Whole30. I've attempted one several times but kept getting sidelined by sugar :(

Anyway, I too have a Thyroid disease, Graves/Hashimoto's and I admire the fact that you drink a liter of water first thing and not coffee!! I'm a coffee fend in the morning, I hope to change that among many other bad habits. Anyway, I wanted to share with you what I've done in my Whole30 attempts which worked really well for me. Load up on Epic food bars and LARA bars. I kept these in my car, in my backpack and in my house, because when I would get hungry if I couldn't eat right away I'd get really sick. Often I'd get hungry late at night and needed something to snack on. Prior to Whole30, I would eat yogurt or cheese late at night, or really crave sugar and these items were so helpful.

I don't know what's in match tea but you may have to revamp your greens drink to a more Whole30 compliant one (which is easy to do) and use that as well during the day. Anyway, I hope this helps you and good luck to both of us!!

I also have Hashimoto's disease/hypothyroidism and am on 125mcg of Synthroid. I am just beginning my second round of whole 30 because I was so pleased with my results the first time!! I believe cutting out the sugars and alcohol helped contribute the most to my success. I also felt less bloated in the mornings, and I believe it's partly because string cheese and Greek yogurt were my go-to nightly snacks before whole 30. Larabars really helped with (a) something sweet for when I was craving sugary snacks and (b) were easy and quick to grab and go.

Be careful with the Larabars though... Not all of them are whole 30 compliant. Check here https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-larabar/ for a list... Unfortunately my favorites are non compliant (anything with chocolate chips!!)

I am open to any other suggestions to help with the sugar cravings!!

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Healthy-n-happy said:

Larabars really helped with (a) something sweet for when I was craving sugary snacks and (b) were easy and quick to grab and go.

Be careful with the Larabars though... Not all of them are whole 30 compliant. Check here https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-larabar/ for a list... Unfortunately my favorites are non compliant (anything with chocolate chips!!)

Hi @Healthy-n-happy - unfortunately your tactic of using those larabars as sugar-craving-busters worked the opposite of what you were hoping. Using sugar to ease sugar cravings just tells your body and mind that it can have sugar when it cries. If you simply cannot power through sugary-cravings with just water or distraction, turn to fat. A protein and fat based mini meal will help and personally the further you can get from sugar the better. So olives would be perfect here; briney and salty. 

Larabars and any of the bars are really only meant to get you through an emergency (ie, stuck on tarmac for 6 hours, late-day unplanned meeting that runs long etc). Don't use them for actual planned food. :) 

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Healthy-n-happy said:

Larabars really helped with (a) something sweet for when I was craving sugary snacks and (b) were easy and quick to grab and go.

Hi @Healthy-n-happy - unfortunately your tactic of using those larabars as sugar-craving-busters worked the opposite of what you were hoping. Using sugar to ease sugar cravings just tells your body and mind that it can have sugar when it cries. If you simply cannot power through sugary-cravings with just water or distraction, turn to fat. A protein and fat based mini meal will help and personally the further you can get from sugar the better. So olives would be perfect here; briney and salty. 

Larabars and any of the bars are really only meant to get you through an emergency (ie, stuck on tarmac for 6 hours, late-day unplanned meeting that runs long etc). Don't use them for actual planned food. :) 

An addition to my post.........Melissa just posted this on her Instagram. Note the part about not using them if trying to out-run a sugar dragon. :)

Archived