Winter tips: Where's the fruit?!

catladyCassie

So, I have done 1 whole30. However, it was during apple season in Washington. I wouldn't say I ate a ton of fruit, but I added it to most meals & it prevented cravings & the need to snack throughout the day. I also have braces, so sometimes it can be harder to eat enough vegetables, with all the chewing & being so low in calories. Does anyone have tips for fresh fruit substitutions during the winter? Apples were such an easy addition, but any there are in stores now are tasteless & mealy. It may be all in my head, but I feel like canned fruit doesn't have as many nutrients & it's easier to over-eat. Any other winter whole30-survival tips would be appreciated! I want to do a whole30 so much, but it's seem a lot more complicated with so many things I like being out of season.

Eat vegetables, proteins and fats and have fresh fruit sparingingly.  You'll get better nutrition and won't risk sugar spikes. Don't let fruit crowd veggies off your plate  

Cook your vegetables and they'll be easy to chew and to digest. Roasted veggies are especially versatile. 

There are a million vegetables out there, including higher carbohydrate ones such as sweet and white potatoes, and many high quality frozen vegetables as well as fresh.

Agree with all above and definitely check out the produce guide. There are certain apples that will be good st this time of year still. Probably late fall harvested apples. Also maybe try a different store? If apples are stored properly they should keep for a very long time, so maybe your stores storing practices aren't quite up to par, or maybe the apples they're selling are really old. I'm still getting some pretty amazing local-ish apples and pears in the food box I order. 

Archived