Whole 30 and a Marathon - Compliant energy pouches?

DrewB

I am on day 2 of my second whole 30.  My first was several years ago.  I started this one because I have gotten back into a bad rut of unhealthy eating habits and have not been exercising like I should.  I have run 3 half marathons in the past year and have my first full marathon coming up at the end of February.  I had not even thought about how this Whole 30 would effect my training!  Part of my problem is that I haven't been training and now I'm on an 8 week plan to get my miles in.  I won't be doing the Whole 30 on race day, I'll be reintroducing things by then, but I will be for most of my training.  I think eating sweet potatoes the day before long runs will be key for me but I hadn't even thought about race snacks.  I currently eat a pureed applesauce pouch but I'm sure it's not compliant.  I've read on here that a few people have found compliant electrolyte mixes and pouches, would you please share what they are?  Can I buy them on Amazon??  

Hearing that everyone's times are much slower while on the Whole 30 is a bit discouraging!  I'm not a fast runner by any means but I do have a time goal in mind for my runs.  I'm slower than I have been in the past right now due to not running for a while but I was hoping that would get better as I get back into it, however, it doesn't sound like that will happen while doing the Whole 30.  Has anyone out there increased time while on a Whole30?  During my last Whole30 I wasn't running but I was doing a lot of weight lifting and I got a lot stronger during my Whole30 so I was hoping to have the same positive effect this time.

I appreciate any input, have a great day!

I *think* the Clif Bar Organic Energy Food pouches will work for you: http://www.clifbar.com/products/clif/organic-energy-food/banana-beet-with-ginger. I think only the Beet/Banana/Ginger ones will likely work for you?

Also, an idea: what about pureeing a sweet potato, mixing with ghee, and carrying along in a small plastic bag on your runs? My running coach does this, and I plan on doing the same when I do Whole30 later this month (and embark on my weekly long distance runs). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived