Semi-planning?

sunnytropic

Is anyone else a semi-planner like me? I just can't plan out what I'm going to eat for dinner 5 days from now.

Part of the fun of eating for me is not knowing what to expect or deciding I want meal x instead of y after lunch.

That's not to say I don't plan at all. I'm on day 2 of my first Whole30 and spent all of last weekend shopping and prepping, I'm just also being flexible with myself.

For example tonight I was originally going to roast a spaghetti squash and cook up some ground beef to add to a marinara I made over the weekend.

I am really feeling like a burger though so I'm going to do a beef burger with avocado and some pan fried onions in ghee and green beans.

I am planning to also roast the spaghetti squash tonight so I have it prepped and use it for my meals tomorrow, probably one like the meal I planned to have for dinner tonight and then I just found a recipe for spaghetti squash hash that sounds delicious and will go nicely with some eggs for breakfast.

• Administrators

There's lots of people like you! :)

Cooking up plenty of protein and prepping lots of veggies and then having different seasonings and sauces on hand allows flexibility without ever really being under the gun with nothing ready to go.

Check Mel Joulwan's site for "weekly cookup" ideas!

@sunnytropic I'm kind of the same! I am using MealBoard to plan my meals (honestly, mostly to make the process more efficient and create less waste!), but I find that when I get to that night, I'm wanting what I'd planned for tomorrow, or 3 nights from now. LOL So I'm going to venture into the field of freezer cooking. I'm actually really excited about this because 1) its super efficient, and 2) I can basically pull whatever I want out of the freezer. Choice is good! :-)

3 minutes ago, aprilb said:

@sunnytropic I'm kind of the same! I am using MealBoard to plan my meals (honestly, mostly to make the process more efficient and create less waste!), but I find that when I get to that night, I'm wanting what I'd planned for tomorrow, or 3 nights from now. LOL So I'm going to venture into the field of freezer cooking. I'm actually really excited about this because 1) its super efficient, and 2) I can basically pull whatever I want out of the freezer. Choice is good! :-)

I love the freezer idea! Unfortunately my freezer is pretty full these days. Mostly non-compliant things that my husband will probably eat! I also have a Butcherbox subscription and try and buy organic chicken when it's on sale at the store so I have a decent shelf or two full of meats!

@sunnytropic Yes, I'm a semi-planner!  I food shop for a couple bags of groceries a few times a week and would like to be less intimidated by a big stock-up/cook-up. What is it about huge quantities of food that freak me out?  Also I am never  even sure who will eat my cooking!  Just me and the baby?  Will my daughter want pasta?  Will my husband be wanting a meal out?  Uncertainty every day about quantities makes me more of a semi-planner.  If you do plan or do a cook-up let us know how it goes.  

Archived