Yeast Extract in organic chicken stock?

• Moderators

This is kind of a gray area. Yeast extract might be another way of saying msg, which wouldn't be allowed. If you can find some without, it would be better.

For some recipes you can submit substitute (stupid autocorrect) plain water and then increase your seasonings. 

25 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

This is kind of a gray area. Yeast extract might be another way of saying msg, which wouldn't be allowed. If you can find some without, it would be better.

For some recipes you can submit plain water and then increase your seasonings. 

Great thank you! 

I have never found compliant chicken broth (I'm in Canada), so if I don't have time to make my own, I can always find compliant vegetable broth and then I add my chicken to it and everything else. Not sure what your making though.

• 1 year later...

Melissa replied to a forum thread about yeast extract in 2012.

The way I understand what she wrote, avoiding yeast extract is recommended but not mandatory. She specifically wrote that she wouldn't expect yeast extract to cause problems for 99.99% of people.

If consuming foods with yeast extract make you personally feel less healthy, don't do it. And, if avoiding yeast extract isn't too burdensome to you, you might want to do it just in case. But if you can tolerate foods with yeast extract and it's hard to find or make foods without it, yeast extract is not against the rules. Having it listed in the ingredients does not make a food non-compliant.

See also a reply from Robin Strathdee re: yeast extract in beef broth.

In other words: avoid yeast extract if you can, but the rules don't say you have to.

Archived