I accidentally had a sample with vanilla extract in it!

I work at a vegan juice and food place and I have been very careful to check all the ingredients of all our food so that I know what I can and cannot have. I'm on day 6 of my Whole30, and at work today, after checking the ingredients twice, I ate a very small sample of our granola made of seeds and dried apple and beets only to immediately check the ingredients again and all of a sudden see that there was vanilla extract in it. Eek! I had checked twice but I honestly just missed it. It was only a small sample, and my intentions and actions were correct in checking, but I just made a silly mistake. Do I start over, or just say whoops and move on, making sure to triple check ingredients lists more carefully in the future? I am very committed to doing this program correctly, but also I don't want to have to extend my program. I'm running a half-marathon about 11 days after the program ends, and I worry that if I extend my program by 6 days then I'll be in the reintroduction period for the run and my body might be feeling kind of funny. That being said, I don't particularly want to extend the program another 11 days to finish after the race. My boyfriend is doing the program with me and he's having a hard time and doesn't want to extend with me (I wouldn't ask him to do that), so he'd be off reintroducing food while I'd still be in the thick of the program. Should I extend/restart, or no?

• Moderators

This is really up to you -- here's an article that talks about how to decide if you should restart or not.

Note that granola-type stuff, even with all compliant ingredients, is really not an ideal food. It tends to be sweet and can keep you craving sweets,  it can easily be a "food without brakes" meaning that it's easy to overeat without really realizing what you're doing because it's very tasty and doesn't always make you feel full and satisfied no matter how much you eat, and even though fruits and nuts are okay to have on Whole30, they shouldn't be the focus of your meals, and for many people, that's what granola-type stuff becomes -- it replaces their breakfast cereal or other sweet, carby breakfast foods, or ends up being dessert.

Gotcha. I'll think about what I'll do. I guess I'm also wondering what the effect of vanilla extract is on the body. I know it has alcohol and sugar in it so that's why it's off-limits, but would a small amount be damaging to the gut-healing process?

Oh I know about the food with no breaks rule! I have a problem with that and have definitely been tempted. In this case, I wasn't going to buy it, I just wanted to sample it because my store sells it and I haven't tried it yet. I like to know how everything tastes so I can honestly answer customer questions. 

Thanks!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Whole30Wendy said:

I guess I'm also wondering what the effect of vanilla extract is on the body. I know it has alcohol and sugar in it so that's why it's off-limits, but would a small amount be damaging to the gut-healing process?

I'm not really sure how much effect it would have. It depends on you, and what kind of damage you already had (something already damaged is probably easier to damage more than something that isn't damaged). You can always just keep going for now, and when you get to day 30, see how you feel, and if you think adding six more days so you have 30 straight days is worth it at that point, then decide.

Archived