Universe Whole30 journal

universe-system

This may get updated multiple times per day since amnesia is a big struggle so we may have to log things as they come before it's forgotten (apologies for this).

Personal note to our system:
PLEASE please try to stick with this. It's hard but it's so good for us and our body is suffering. Let's do this and finally get healthier and gain more control over our life and body. I know those of us with eating disorders are going to struggle but we can do this, we made it 3 weeks once before and this time we can make it the full 30 days. Just stick with it and keep trying, come here for support if you need to or just to vent feelings. This is possible and we can finally start to feel better in some areas of our life ^_^ 

Day 1:

So far so good. Feeling positive and happy about it. Already been mostly Whole30 for the last week but with occasional exceptions, but now's time for getting serious. A little anxious, but new things are always scary. Got our bullet journal all set out with meal and snack ideas so it's harder to fall off the wagon like last time.

Breakfast - samphire omelette and spinach. (avocado oil, coconut milk, 2 eggs, 1 cup samphire, 1/2 red onion, chives and a handful of spinach). Something new and thoroughly enjoyed! Tasted creamy from the coconut and buttery from the saltiness of samphire.

Lunch - Tahini tuna salad (from stupideasypaleo) 

Dinner - asparagus, mushroom, onion and tomato omelette and half a chicken breast (shared other half with partner)

Had plenty of water through the day and a cup of tea (cut out honey last week and now don't need it, or want it, any more, hurray!). Also a bit of light activity since energy levels have been getting better after gradually returning to Whole30 over the last week. 

Feeling proud now it's the end of the day

Day 2!

Woken up excited for trying more new ways to make food.

Spent a lot of time today thinking about how Whole30 is aiding our eating disorder recovery (EDNOS). Usually, if we have the chance to, we'll binge on chocolate and pasta, those are our 2 main things we go to. Now that we don't have these foods in the house, there's literally none of our binge foods or temptation foods here any more and that's so far helping. If we feel like we're going to binge, we're having vegetables or a boiled egg or a bit of fruit. Our relationship with food is still unhealthy, but this is the path to it getting healthier and that can only be positive! I'm not sure if the Whole30 will fix our unhealthy relationship with food, I highly doubt it will, but if it can help it at all then that's a positive ^_^ 

Last night we hit a bit of a milestone. I made omelettes for us and our partner, they're not doing Whole30 so they had cheese on theirs and I didn't eat even a tiny bit like I usually would even if I wasn't having cheese :D 

Today's food log (so far)

Breakfast - sweet potato "toast" (grated sweet potato mixed with egg, onion powder and pepper, then fried until crispy both sides), topped with mashed avocado and a fried egg

Lunch - Roasted pork steak with roasted cabbage, sweet potato and half an avocado

Haven't done dinner yet, or given it much thought, but thinking of doing steak, maybe fajita style without the wraps ^_^ 

-C

Day 2 continued

Snack - broccoli, sweet potato and butternut squash mixed with egg and topped with avocado. Small papaya on the side

Dinner - steak topped with egg and a side of asparagus 

(We've been super hungry today and almost caved towards the end, but managed to push through thanks to some hidden motivation - probably someone else pushing through to keep going with this. Sometimes being DID makes this easier)

Day 3

Today's been rockier, mostly because we were out of the house from 10:30am (which is early for us since sleep is hard for us with C-PTSD) and we'd only had 5 hours of very, very restless sleep. Had to see mother today, which is always hard and she's obsessed with weight which is a huge trigger, but we maintained willpower and said we won't do things her way and we said no to eating out. Unfortunately this meant that we couldn't eat until we got home, which is partly eating disorder behaviours coming back because of mom being around, but we stayed healthy and compliant despite everything when we eventually got home at 2pm.

Still feeling determined and happy with progress so far! Had two non-scale victories today too :D The jeans that were a bit too tight are already feeling looser after no gluten and eating better. Early days and still seeing a nice result. Also when we were grocery shopping mom kept asking if we want things we can't have (cakes, quiche, BBQ ribs etc) and we very quickly and confidently said no and there was no craving at all!

Oh, and today our compliant almond milk from Rude Health arrived! Have been looking forward to it finally getting here so I'm happy and might try it in some tea or coffee ^_^ 

____

Breakfast??? (idk if you can call 2:20pm breakfast) - Roast chicken with a side of grapes and a banana

Lunch - Spicy chicken breast, roasted sweet potatoes, half avocado, loads of spinach and some cucumber 

Snack - Urban Fruit strawberries (gently baked strawberries, only added thing is some apple juice)

____

So far more fruit than usual, but making up for it with extra veggies for tonight's meal!

Continuing day 3

Struggled quite a lot with eating again since eating disorder stuff is still fairly bad, but we managed it and ate a good, super healthy compliant meal ^_^ 

Dinner - Salmon (with crispy skin), roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes with a fried egg 

____

Also tried a bit of coconut milk in some tea (it's banana black tea and it's amazing) and actually it was good! I think it's another thing to get used to and we need to try it with almond milk too.

We cooked another fillet of salmon so tomorrow we have 2 possible breakfasts depending what we feel like (either salmon fish cakes or salmon and samphire omelette, we'll see). Got some tupperware today since we needed new stuff so now we can prep meals in advance to have when we're going out instead of panicking and having another day like today

yodel-smiley.gif?1292867705 Your meals are downright tasty. You know how this works. I wouldn't consider that a good thing. I'd consider it a great, fantastic, wondrous, terrific thing and everything a person could ask from themselves. When it comes to taking care of themselves and listening to their body and using good sense....my goodness.  I like all of the lil things you're doing.  Very inspiring. Bullet journal, tupperware, special teas.  And you powered through on a hard day. Congratulations. 

12 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

yodel-smiley.gif?1292867705 Your meals are downright tasty. You know how this works. I wouldn't consider that a good thing. I'd consider it a great, fantastic, wondrous, terrific thing and everything a person could ask from themselves. When it comes to taking care of themselves and listening to their body and using good sense....my goodness.  I like all of the lil things you're doing.  Very inspiring. Bullet journal, tupperware, special teas.  And you powered through on a hard day. Congratulations. 

Thank you so so much! :D  Your support means a lot to us!

We're doing our best, and we're enjoying the process and enjoying food more. We're determined to succeed and we won't let this fail ^_^ 

Day 4!

Honestly still loving everything ^_^ 

Noticed 2 more non-scale victories last night too. Our skin is way way clearer. For the first couple of days it started to throw a tantrum but now it's clearing up so much and it's such a nice change since our skin is usually quite bad. Secondly, our teeth feel cleaner! We struggle with brushing sometimes because of sensory issues but even after not being able to they still feel super clean instead of that weird fuzzy feeling. Have heard other people with this too and a lot of people think cutting out sugar is what helps :D 

Last week we prepped some sauerkraut, our first ever attempt, and we decided that since it's been about 10 days it's time to check it! Absolutely love it so much, really proud of ourselves for trying it and so excited to have it with a meal (might put it with dinner). Probably will be looking at other good things to ferment like this since we enjoyed this so much!

Today we also tried golden milk for the first time! Used a mug of almond milk, some turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper and a teeny pinch of cayenne. It was actually very very nice! It was like a very savoury chai latte and we really enjoyed it. Probably will make it more often! It's meant to be great for you too

Oh, and for something that makes us laugh with our tea. We've got a whole lot of teas that have sprinkles or marshmallows in them, thankfully they're usually very visible so we just spend a while picking them out so we can still have it haha :P 

______

Breakfast - samphire, salmon and sweet potato omelette (2 eggs and coconut milk) 

Snack - half a pomelo 

Lunch - Steak, 2 eggs, half an avocado and sliced tomato

Day 4 continued

Had our first proper craving, but it passed about 30 seconds later since we know it's something we can have when we're done :P Was a craving for paleo banana/egg pancakes

____

Dinner - chicken breast (with paprika, cayenne and lemon juice), roast white potatoes, sprouts and broccoli, 1/2 an avocado and a big pile of my sauerkraut 

Very full. Have to say though, it was so weird having white potatoes since we rarely have them any more. Not bad but we don't really like them that much most of the time

May have the other half of the pomelo when I'm less full but that'd be the last food of the day if we do :D 

Day 5:

Today has been loads of tiredness, but nothing too extreme thankfully ^_^ Still seeing loads of things we used to eat and having pretty much no interest at all or feeling sick at the thought of all the sugar. So come a long way already. Probably helps that we eased into Whole30 a week before starting

Today we ran out of coconut milk, so I went to the store specifically to get some more to make dump ranch later, which I'm very excited for!

Last minute decision to go to London next week to see Avenged Sevenfold which is exciting! ^_^ So I'm looking up compliant places to eat out if needed - worst case I know there's places like Eat and Pret and Starbucks literally everywhere that do salads where the dressing is optional and we can just get a herbal tea, black coffee or water with it. Also staying with partner's parents and their mom has done Whole30 loads and loads of times so she'll happily make compliant meals for us to eat while we're there

Also going out tomorrow to change bank accounts, so I'm excitedly planning either a chicken salad or a tahini tuna salad to go with it and probably take some carrot sticks and stuff to munch on while out :D

____

Breakfast - roast chicken, spinach and a handful of blueberries (was feeling lazy, but this worked and was super filling - also got a chicken carcass for stock making)

Snack - peach and a smoothie (I know, smoothies aren't recommended but was feeling quite faint and my partner made it without froyo to make it compliant, definitely not in my plan to have smoothies unless necessary)

Lunch - fan fried rainbow trout with samphire, spinach, broccoli, sprouts and roasted sweet potatoes :D 

____

probably pork steaks for dinner, or maybe even bacon and eggs.. who knows

@MeadowLily We love the picture additions ;) 

____

Update on yesterday!

Dinner - spiced pork steaks with sweet potato, carrots and broccoli

_____

Day 6

Today has been hard. Minor cravings but nothing too bad. The main struggle has been physical pain has been horrific today which got worse because we had to go out :( So we haven't been able to eat as much as we wanted to unfortunately. Have tried as hard as possible though and have stayed compliant ^_^ 

Breakfast - big salad with 2 chicken thighs and sweet potato wedges 

Snack - green juice (avocado, cucumber, pineapple and apple)

Snack - apple and banana

Lunch/dinner - steak with eggs, mushrooms, tomato, spinach and avocado

___

Just having some peppermint cream tea (no actual cream, just milk oolong tea leaves) and then off to bed. Hoping for less pain tomorrow so we can get back on track 

Day 6 (yesterday)

Overall day 6 was horrific. Mental health is in a state and pain is bad, along with energy levels being low (all this because we went out on Friday and did normal things in the day like go to the shops..)

So... only managed 2 meals again yesterday :( We're trying really hard but right now it's not enough, we'll get back to it again. We are planning to make this a permanent lifestyle, since we don't have impulse control without cutting things out entirely so it's safer this way and makes us feel way way way way better than usual. Literally 2 meals is an improvement, it used to be snacking, one meal and then bed, so another meal is a big improvement with only having nuts and one or two bits of fruit for snacks ^_^ 

Meal 1 - spiced chicken legs, sweet potatoes, broccoli and avocado

Meal 2 - tahini tuna salad with 2 boiled eggs 

Day 7

So far the day isn't going well. At all. Been so dissociated and tired and just a lot of psychosis (Tye is convinced our food is poisoned so it's been hard to eat since last night, we have but it's been so difficult). Planning to have a good long sleep tonight and do a lot of prep if possible tomorrow. We'll get there, I think it might just take some extra time for our body to adjust with it being so unwell all the time, so I think we need to be gentle with ourselves and not force ourselves into more than we can handle but still sticking with the plan :) I think we need to start having some eggs and avocado at the least if we're struggling with a more complicated meal

Meal 1 - Chicken and roast sweet potatoes 

Snack - apple and walnuts 

That's all the progress we've managed so far, but planning to have pork steaks, carrots, sweet potato and a nice big salad with avocado, and maybe an egg thrown in for good measure ;) 

C has told a good few of us to update here (only found out we're doing Whole30 today. Some excited but a few (like Nik) are really really not excited at all haha. I imagine Lexi, Ashy and me (Elliot) will be around quite often for this! :) 

-

Day 7 update (again)

We had a small snack, a boiled egg, leftover sweet potato and a handful of walnuts. Not much but it was enough

-

Day 8

Personally feeling very happy! I came out to be told that we're well into Whole30 now and that it's going well. I can really tell that our body is feeling much much healthier now, our jeans fit better and we just are more alive and awake than we used to be. The only thing we need to do I think is sort out our sleeping schedule

We got a lot of food delivered to the house today. The shop that delivers does compliant coconut milk without all the rubbish in it, literally just coconut extract, water and citric acid. It's cheap too. So we've got 10 cans of that, as well as 6 avocados, 30 eggs, 2 whole chickens, 2 bottles of avocado oil and some prepped zoodles and butternut squash noodles too. Plus a lot of other bits and pieces I've forgotten, all compliant from what I saw. C did a good job with shopping and we've got loads of stuff to keep us going, as well as about 3kg of sweet potatoes so we may make a Thai sweet potato soup tomorrow :) 

C had done some great prep today. He prepped a load of chicken stew and washed a lot of dishes so we can make some casseroles and big egg & veg bakes. Fairly proud of him since he's usually easily overwhelmed and in pain, but from what we hear, he's doing incredibly well!

Lastly, I decided to have a crack at home made mayonnaise. I'd kept hearing all over Whole30 Facebook groups today that it's incredibly easy with an immersion blender so... since we got some light olive oil today I thought I may as well try it. Actually, the easiest thing in the world. 30 seconds and I had perfect, thick and creamy tasting mayo that's much nicer than I'd expected. The last time we'd attempted to make mayo at home (this was about 5 years ago) it went horribly wrong and split. Apparently this isn't even the slightest issue with an immersion blender. So I'm very happy and we have enough mayo for the week (I substituted mustard powder for garlic powder so it's more like aioli but it works well!)

Anyway, enough rambling from me for the moment (I'm sure you'll all get more of my rambles in the near future, so don't worry)

-

Meal 1 - Grated cauliflower, chopped spring onions and onion powder mixed with egg and fried, mashed avocado on the top and a crispy fried egg

Meal 2 - Chicken stew (had loads of carrots mixed through) with roast potatoes 

Snack - handful of walnuts

Meal 3 - baked potato with tuna mayonnaise

Your food is really bangin'.  This is definitely not your first rodeo because you are a good cook/chef. I saw a  gray tee-shirt out there that says 'sugar sux'.  I want to find one.  It's like the fishy, fishy one up above. 

You're feeling better and happy.  That's a good smoke signal.  

7 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

Your food is really bangin'.  This is definitely not your first rodeo because you are a good cook/chef. I saw a  gray tee-shirt out there that says 'sugar sux'.  I want to find one.  It's like the fishy, fishy one up above. 

You're feeling better and happy.  That's a good smoke signal.  

Ha thank you! We've did 3 weeks of Whole30 about 2 years ago but caved but we've been paleo on and off for 2 years too, so we're used to cooking mostly compliant anyway thankfully! ;) 

That shirt sounds amazing :P 

__

Day 9

Today's been good! I've been a liiiiiiiiiittle bit spaced out today but it's still been good. This morning I prepped breakfast for the next couple of days (with Lexi's help since idk what I'm doing lmao). Sooo for tomorrow and Friday we've got a sort of crustless, cheeseless quiche????? It's spring onion, spinach and tomatoes with some basil and garlic, 6 eggs and a little almond milk. Got a little distracted doing that and nearly burned down the house with some oil heating up in a pan that I forgot about... but nothing set on fire so we're all good. Pain's been bad but still functioned better than usual. Tomorrow's a busy day so hopefully it'll all be less painful??? Idk we'll see anyways.

Soo yea

Anyway, the meals

____

1: leftover chicken stew with zoodles 

2: chicken thigh, roasted sweet potatoes & carrots and half avocado

3: pork belly, roasted white potatoes, sprouts and broccoli

____

And now it's time for bed. Goodnight friendos :) 

-Blake

What's cooking, making more of your great meals. I'm headed into town. It's another blizzard and I really don't want to go.  I've cancelled my hair appointment so many times due to bad roads. I've not seen a winter like this in my lifetime. Unreal.  Stay strong and courageous. Catch you on the flipflop.  

Sorry we vanished! We had our few days in London so things were too busy to update 

Up until Sunday we stayed 100% compliant.. but then it all went out of the window when we had to wait in really long queues in temperatures below freezing and at that point it was just too hard.. we even spent about 45 minutes wandering around a food market and couldn't find anything that was compliant and there wasn't any compliant cafes or restaurants nearby either... so we caved. It wasn't even enjoyable for the most part, but we needed to eat and unfortunately the world didn't give us anything compliant :( 

So we're back to square one again, but we still have tried our best to make consciously healthy decisions even while going off Whole30. We're gonna continue with it in the next couple of days, probably tomorrow I imagine. We're actually looking forward to restarting it and already really wanting some of our compliant foods.

The only thing we're debating is potentially not doing a super strict Whole30, since we already know which things are giving our body problems (gluten, sugar and dairy) and we already almost never have pulses/legumes except maybe a bit of every so often or a bit of hummus sometimes. We also already barely use soy based products or heavily processed things, including oils. 

We need to think on this a bit longer though, we can't decide whether having that leniency is going to cause us to go completely off the rails or not... so we may just test it out rather than committing to anything in particular and then being strict if it doesn't go very well for our impulses 

Archived